Hi, I'm new to Jailbreaking. I've got a iPod Touch with iOS 2.2.1 that I'm planning to jailbreak, but I also need to update the iOS version to at least 3.1.3.

How should I do this? Should I Jailbreak it first, and then update it (if so, then how do I update a jailbroken iPod Touch)? Or should I update it and then jailbreak it? Also, do you recommend me to update to a later version than 3.1.3 (that's the oldest version I'm aiming to as some of the apps that I plan to use require it) instead? Is there any advantage in updating to a iOS version that isn't the latest one?

Thank you.
    02-17-2012 01:07 PM
    unfortunately since Apple is no longer signing 3.1.3 you cannot update to it. assuming you never updated to 3.1.3, saved shsh blobs and the went back to 2.2.1 . depending on the generation of your device, it will determine the latest OS that CAN be installed onto it

personally, i would update to the latest OS and then jailbreak. you cannot jailbreak before updating your OS
    02-17-2012 01:26 PM
    unfortunately since Apple is no longer signing 3.1.3 you cannot update to it. assuming you never updated to 3.1.3, saved shsh blobs and the went back to 2.2.1 . depending on the generation of your device, it will determine the latest OS that CAN be installed onto it

personally, i would update to the latest OS and then jailbreak. you cannot jailbreak before updating your OS
    Hmmm... just noticed that Cydia is installed in the iPod. Does this mean the it's already jailbroken? If so, how should I go about updating?
    02-17-2012 01:47 PM
    i would assume it is jailbroken. what happens when you try to go into Cydia?

just for starting over purposes, i would restore as new to the latest firmware (plug into your iTunes and select Restore. when given the option: restore as new device) and then jailbreak
    02-17-2012 02:08 PM
    Cydia seems to work properly, so yes, looks like it's jailbroken.

I've never restored it to the latest firmware. Please confirm if the following method is correct: I went to iTunes > Devices > iPod Touch and clicked the button labeled as "Restore" in the "Version" section. The following message appeared:

Are you sure you want to restore the iPod to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPod software will be installed.

iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings.
    Is this how it's done? Should I click the "Restore and Update" button in that box? There won't be any issues in updating it like this if it's jailbroken, right?
    02-17-2012 02:20 PM
    have you ever synced or backed up this device on your computer?
    02-17-2012 02:36 PM
    Yes, I did both of those things today. Today's backup is the only one I have, too.
    02-17-2012 02:46 PM
    if you have any photos/images you might want to save those to your computer too. since i cannot guarantee that nothing will not go as planned because of the jailbreak we have to assume it will be fine. if not, there are ways around this as well. you will not brick the device

the steps above are correct, select Restore and Update. when given the option towards the end of the process it will ask you if you want to Setup as New or from Backup. if starting over is not a big deal for you then select Set up as New

let us know which OS loaded onto your device and we can guide you as to which jailbreak software you will need
    e-Mike likes this.
    02-17-2012 02:58 PM
    Thank you for your help. I'm currently downloading the update and will report back later.

And my current OS is Windows 7.
    02-17-2012 04:45 PM
    sorry i meant iOS version loaded onto your device BUT we needed to now that also
    02-17-2012 05:10 PM
    Alright, it's done. I've restored and updated the iOS to 4.2.1. However, I'm thinking about whether I should update to 5.0.1. Is there any advantage in using an earlier version than 5.0.1, especially if you plan to jailbreak your iPod?
    02-18-2012 02:40 AM
    which generation iPod do you have?
    02-18-2012 03:05 AM
    I think it's a 2nd gen 8G iPod Touch.
    02-18-2012 03:36 AM
    02-18-2012 03:43 AM
    I did the jailbreak and everything's working perfectly. Again, thank you very much for your help
    02-18-2012 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD