Scared to Jailbreak

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Are there any set backs to jailbreaking your iPhone...does it slow down the phone, cause reception issues, etc...?

it's all relative as to what apps/tweaks you put on your device AFTER you jailbreak. the jailbreak process alone, 99% of the time, does not hinder your device

do some research before downloading apps/tweaks in question. here is a good place to start or just simply google the name of the desired app/tweak. to put it frankly, whether you're a beginner, novice or expert at it you will run into issues from time to time so you have to be prepared and willing to tinker

for example, last night was the 3rd time in the last 10 days i had to restore due to some things that i felt were not right. yeah, it was mostly due to my OCD but still.. now here i sit with a stock OS wondering if i even want to hassle with jailbreaking anymore. maybe i should take a break..

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Whoa! That doesn't sound good. Making me think twice about JBing.

Care to elaborate on what was "not right" so we can get an idea of the risks? Thanks!

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
it's all relative as to what apps/tweaks you put on your device AFTER you jailbreak. the jailbreak process alone, 99% of the time, does not hinder your device

do some research before downloading apps/tweaks in question. here is a good place to start or just simply google the name of the desired app/tweak. to put it frankly, whether you're a beginner, novice or expert at it you will run into issues from time to time so you have to be prepared and willing to tinker

for example, last night was the 3rd time in the last 10 days i had to restore due to some things that i felt were not right. yeah, it was mostly due to my OCD but still.. now here i sit with a stock OS wondering if i even want to hassle with jailbreaking anymore. maybe i should take a break..

I am very bare bones NOW when it comes to what apps/tweaks I use on my 4S.
Once I have a stable setup with my essential apps and tweaks, I don't add anything new.

I have fallen into a similar situation as Blink where previous jailbreaks (iPhone 3G, 3Gs and 4), I added to many apps and tweaks that I got springboard crashes daily. I got my iPhone4 with 4.3.3 stable but then iOS5 came out and I mucked with it.

bcbbanga4l

Trusted Member
Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty scared too the only think i have a problem with is updates to the apps and stuff. I know there is a new app store but are those apps in the reg app store in the cydia store?

anyone share a link of other cool and awesome things jailbreaking does?

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Here are the best things I have learned about a jailbroken phone vs a clean one:
1) I can modify Siri to open up my apps, turn on/off Bluetooth and Wifi, and do other things she can't do with a normal phone.
2) I have free wi fi tethering, something Verizon would charge me $20 a month for.
3) I have the ability to read/delete/send texts, etc. from my drop down menu thanks to Intelliscreen X without losing what I was in the middle of doing or having to reopen the app I was using.
4) I have the ability to customize my icons, arrangement of them, and make my screen look like anything I want- including widgets and other things- like Android offers, but without the Android "bugs".
5) I can find a lot of really cool stuff on Cydia, and it gives a whole new meaning to the term, "there's an app for that"!

Drawbacks?
1) I've noticed that my phone occasionally develops little quirks, kind of like what I dealt with on my Android. I've had it respring repeatedly on reboot, and have had the screen freeze up- nothing a quick reboot or a connection to iTunes didn't resolve. I think the issue was related to iIntelliscreenX, but have no evidence of that.
2) It requires a bit of a learning curve to get everything working the way you want it- but I find that fun, so it really isn't a drawback, per se...unless you hate sitting at a computer and figuring things out.
3) My battery drains a bit faster- but I think it's primarily because I use the phone all the time now. It's just a lot more enjoyable. I still get a solid work day out of it, with a lot of juice left over, but usually need to throw it on the charger around 21:30 after having it off the charger since 0700.

So if I had to weigh the pros and cons, I'd jailbreak again in a heartbeat. When the next iOS version comes out, I will forsake upgrading it until a jailbreak comes out for the new software, because no stock update is going to be worth my time to lose all the advantages I gained.

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty scared too the only think i have a problem with is updates to the apps and stuff. I know there is a new app store but are those apps in the reg app store in the cydia store?

anyone share a link of other cool and awesome things jailbreaking does?

Cydia is the app store for JB phones. You still have your regular app store. They work identically. When there's an update, Cydia lets you know. Only difference is, you have to uninstall apps you dld'd from Cydia IN Cydia. You can't just long press on them and "X" them out. Not a big deal, if you ask me. You can still buy and pay for regular apps in the app store. It doesn't change the functionality in that area one bit. The Jailbroken apps are not in the regular app store. Think of it like an aftermarket parts place for your car. You can go to the dealer and buy the expensive crap they peddle in the Parts department (App Store), or you can go to the aftermarket shop down the street (Cydia) and get cheaper and free things for your car that will really increase performance!

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Cydia is the app store for JB phones. You still have your regular app store. They work identically. When there's an update, Cydia lets you know. Only difference is, you have to uninstall apps you dld'd from Cydia IN Cydia. You can't just long press on them and "X" them out. Not a big deal, if you ask me. You can still buy and pay for regular apps in the app store. It doesn't change the functionality in that area one bit. The Jailbroken apps are not in the regular app store. Think of it like an aftermarket parts place for your car. You can go to the dealer and buy the expensive crap they peddle in the Parts department (App Store), or you can go to the aftermarket shop down the street (Cydia) and get cheaper and free things for your car that will really increase performance!

There's an app for that! Install Cydelete, then you can uninstall Cydia apps just like App Store apps.

Reactions: rich67

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Whoa! That doesn't sound good. Making me think twice about JBing.

Care to elaborate on what was "not right" so we can get an idea of the risks? Thanks!

eh, i was having a moment of weakness. it will be okay.. just remember that IF anything goes awry a restore fixes everything

save your SHSH blobs now before 5.1 is released. jailbroken or not blobs can be saved and will need to be used after Apple stops signing 5.0.1 . or you will be forced to update to 5.1 which more than likely will not be able to be jailbroken (Untethered) for a while..?

Super #17

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I had an iphone 3g that I jailbroke first with Blackra1n and then later with spirit. Throughout the course of those jailbreaks The wi fi stopped working completely, and I mean completely (I'm sure there are others here who know what I mean) Restoring the phone, installing fixes and and resetting the network settings didn't bring it back. Also my notifications stopped working. Other than that it was fully functional.

So I now have an iphone 4 and I'm fearful that this may happen again and am hoping you all in this topic can ease my nerves about it, because that was one thing that wasn't reversible after my jailbreak. I also wonder if anyone may know what could've caused that.
I'm guessing Jailbreaking is slightly safer now anyway. But can this happen again?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I had an iphone 3g that I jailbroke first with Blackra1n and then later with spirit. Throughout the course of those jailbreaks The wi fi stopped working completely, and I mean completely (I'm sure there are others here who know what I mean) Restoring the phone, installing fixes and and resetting the network settings didn't bring it back. Also my notifications stopped working. Other than that it was fully functional.

So I now have an iphone 4 and I'm fearful that this may happen again and am hoping you all in this topic can ease my nerves about it, because that was one thing that wasn't reversible after my jailbreak. I also wonder if anyone may know what could've caused that.
I'm guessing Jailbreaking is slightly safer now anyway. But can this happen again?

there are always risks when jailbreaking. nobody here, or anywhere else, can guarantee that nothing like that will EVER happen again. that is why we utilize the Restore feature in iTunes to get you back to stock (and or Restore to saved shsh blobs, if that is the case)

IF you are having any reservations you may be better off not doing it

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

There's a cydia app to X delete them lol :p

Reactions: rich67

Designed4Him

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I jailbroke my iPhone and decides to go back to stock....guess it wasn't for me!

Sent from HIS WORLD on my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
most people who are comfortable with the stock setting will go back too quickly i think. jailbreaking is not for everyone, that's for sure

the good thing is you do not HAVE to jailbreak to enjoy your device

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner