Scared to Jailbreak

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I am new to the jailbreak scene as well and was shocked at how simple and fast the whole process was using Absinthe. It went very smoothly and then I used TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH. Because to tell you the truth there's no way I want to ever loose my JB! Be sure and look over the thread about favorite jailbreak apps. :D

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It's easy as pie pretty much. 1 click to run the program and phone does work. I couldn't go back to stock unless apple included most of my little tweaks into their stock, there are a few tweaks that have made doing things 10x easier.

iGrannyApple

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it is lack of knowledge on my part or limitations of iOS but I don't seem to be able to customize my iPhone as much as I could the BlackBerry. More than likely it is lack of knowledge since I'm trying to learn to use the iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro all at the same time.

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
When you say you can restore the phone using iTunes, does it restore to your pre-jailbreak setup or is the only option to restore to factory, reinstall all the apps, settings, etc. This sounds like a pain. With an Android phone you could restore to a nandroid backup. Is there anything like that for the iPhone?

Second question is about iOS updates -- I'm really eager to see what the new iOS update brings (hoping for Siri and gps/maps improvements). How do you update a jailbroken phone?

Thanks!!

reltm

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I want to do this simply to get rid of the requirement of using wifi to d/l files bigger than 20MB

Depending on what you want to do, you might not need to JB. For instance, if you want to download podcasts, check out an app like Instacast.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I would like to repost reltm's post (#29) because I have the same questions and I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle:

*******************************************************************************************
When you say you can restore the phone using iTunes, does it restore to your pre-jailbreak setup or is the only option to restore to factory, reinstall all the apps, settings, etc. This sounds like a pain. With an Android phone you could restore to a nandroid backup. Is there anything like that for the iPhone?

Second question is about iOS updates -- I'm really eager to see what the new iOS update brings (hoping for Siri and gps/maps improvements). How do you update a jailbroken phone?

Thanks!!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

whenever you do a restore it will always bring you back to a "Stock" status. you can restore from a backup so you do not have to manually set up your device which does save time. there are options out there that will allow you to backup & restore your jalibreak apps/tweaks and data, or you can do it manually (which is what i prefer)

however, you have to be careful when restoring your jailbroken device(s), if Apple is no longer signing the firmware that you are on you will be forced to use the latest version, unless you have waited long enough until the next OS update has a jailbreak available OR have saved your SHSH blobs/Custom Firmware. this will allow you to bypass Apples server and restore to the saved firmware(s) as much as you wish

Thanks!!

jailbreaking and iOS updates are a constant Cat & Mouse game. if you plan on always staying jailbroken then plan on always waiting to update. for how long? nobody really knows, it could be hours, days or months. very inconsistent. most of the time there will be a tethered option for jailbreaking but that has it's own set of parameters

please keep in mind that without writing a novel i briefly touched on these subjects and i would encourage you and anyone else to do as much research as possible before making any type of commitment to jailbreaking. i did for a couple of weeks before making the jump

Reactions: emjayess and reltm

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
O.K., thanks Blink!

Much of that is greek to me, but I think I get the gist of it.

1) We can back up our jailbroken phones, but it's a real pain to restore.

2) We should do plenty of research into JBing. Yes, I did the equivalent on webOS with Homebrew and, because I did it since they started offering it for the Pre, I took for granted all that I understood about it all by the time I left the platform when Sprint got the 4S; now I'm starting over and have to learn a whole new vocabulary etc.

For example, your cautions about firmware and blobs etc. don't make sense to me...yet. My problem is I haven't had time to do the research and slog through the weeks of learning JB. But I know I'll do it eventually because the benefits of Homebrew on the Pre and Touchpad were worth the hassle, so I'm guessing that's true with IOS, as well.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Depending on what you want to do, you might not need to JB. For instance, if you want to download podcasts, check out an app like Instacast.

Not necessarily podcasts, but I want to be able to d/l ANY file over 20MB on the cellular network and NOT via WiFi (just in case I don't have WiFi access at the time)

jessedholm

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
i was scared too!!!

BUT I'M TAKING THE PLUNGE AS I TYPE THIS! Main reason is to see what cool apps are available since the last time I had a jailbroken iPhone (the 3g). Also i have a wifi only iPad and I need pdanet or myfi...whatever its called to be able to share my connection. Hope att don't bust me cuz once football practice starts up again for my kid, I need something to do while I wait ever afternoon. Plus I'm planning on upgrading my iPad 1 to the 3 or the 2s--whatever the next iPad will be called. I am planning on getting a wifi only again but only if I can get away with sharing the connection between now and the march release date. This will be my trial run! OH! I think its done already! I'm no longer pure!

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
whenever you do a restore it will always bring you back to a "Stock" status. you can restore from a backup so you do not have to manually set up your device which does save time. there are options out there that will allow you to backup & restore your jalibreak apps/tweaks and data, or you can do it manually (which is what i prefer)

however, you have to be careful when restoring your jailbroken device(s), if Apple is no longer signing the firmware that you are on you will be forced to use the latest version, unless you have waited long enough until the next OS update has a jailbreak available OR have saved your SHSH blobs/Custom Firmware. this will allow you to bypass Apples server and restore to the saved firmware(s) as much as you wish

jailbreaking and iOS updates are a constant Cat & Mouse game. if you plan on always staying jailbroken then plan on always waiting to update. for how long? nobody really knows, it could be hours, days or months. very inconsistent. most of the time there will be a tethered option for jailbreaking but that has it's own set of parameters

please keep in mind that without writing a novel i briefly touched on these subjects and i would encourage you and anyone else to do as much research as possible before making any type of commitment to jailbreaking. i did for a couple of weeks before making the jump

How you save blobs on 4s? Every time I try to with new redsnows it says not supported for 4s yet.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
BUT I'M TAKING THE PLUNGE AS I TYPE THIS! Main reason is to see what cool apps are available since the last time I had a jailbroken iPhone (the 3g). Also i have a wifi only iPad and I need pdanet or myfi...whatever its called to be able to share my connection. Hope att don't bust me cuz once football practice starts up again for my kid, I need something to do while I wait ever afternoon. Plus I'm planning on upgrading my iPad 1 to the 3 or the 2s--whatever the next iPad will be called. I am planning on getting a wifi only again but only if I can get away with sharing the connection between now and the march release date. This will be my trial run! OH! I think its done already! I'm no longer pure!

i say as long as you do not go crazy on data usage you should be fine

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods