What Will Happen?

clealsgirl

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I am currently using Windows but in a couple of weeks, I'll *finally* be on a MacBook Pro. I jailbroke my iPhone 4 and absolutely LOVE it but I'm wondering what will happen when it's times to sync my phone with my Mac. Will I have to restore and jailbreak all over again?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No. The only way you would lose the JB is by restoring your iPhone with the new computer. Simply, authorize the new computer with your iTunes account, sync and backup your iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You will not lose your jailbreak, but unless you copy your directories from the pc where you currently sync to your new Mac, you will lose everything else. You will be able to sync it all back, but be aware that it will all go.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You will not lose your jailbreak, but unless you copy your directories from the pc where you currently sync to your new Mac, you will lose everything else. You will be able to sync it all back, but be aware that it will all go.

Are Macs any different than a Windows computer? Reason I ask is, I didn't lose anything when I synced my iPhone to a new computer.

clealsgirl

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site

Unfortunately, I learned this lesson once when I was moving from on PC to another. Thanks for the reminder though - I probably would have forgotten in all the excitement of having a Mac. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Are Macs any different than a Windows computer? Reason I ask is, I didn't lose anything when I synced my iPhone to a new computer.

Macs and pc's work the same - you will lose all your sync'd music (not purchased through iTunes) and all your photos (not taken from your iPhone). If you didn't lose those things, you either didn't have any to start with or you had copied the folder from your old computer to your new computer.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Macs and pc's work the same - you will lose all your sync'd music (not purchased through iTunes) and all your photos (not taken from your iPhone). If you didn't lose those things, you either didn't have any to start with or you had copied the folder from your old computer to your new computer.

This explains it, because all 60 songs on my iPhone were purchased from iTunes and all 400+ photos were taken from my iPhone. My old computer totally died so I couldn't copy anything even if I wanted to. I only had to authorize the new computer with my iTunes account. No apps, music or pics were lost.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You were really lucky then. Very little of my music was purchased from iTunes, and I have a GB or more of photos taken with various cameras over decades.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is what I did. Backed up my windows iTunes to a external hard drive. Connect ext HD to Mac and just drug the folder over iTunes while opened and dropped. Woo lala every was now on my Mac iTunes.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You were really lucky then. Very little of my music was purchased from iTunes, and I have a GB or more of photos taken with various cameras over decades.

I wasn't necessarily all that lucky. Because I lost hundreds of other pictures that were not stored on my iPhone when my computer died. I learned the hard way that all pictures on a computer should be backed up. :(

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is what I did. Backed up my windows iTunes to a external hard drive. Connect ext HD to Mac and just drug the folder over iTunes while opened and dropped. Woo lala every was now on my Mac iTunes.

Absolutely the way to go...I don't even keep my iTunes library on my actual computer anymore; it's all on an external for exactly this reason. When I need/want to change computers all I have to do is plug it in to the new one.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't necessarily all that lucky. Because I lost hundreds of other pictures that were not stored on my iPhone when my computer died. I learned the hard way that all pictures on a computer should be backed up. :(

This is why I use SafeSync. Keeps my everything backed up and I don't have to give it a thought.

http://justanothergeeksite.com/2011/03/safesync/

Reactions: Eileen89

clealsgirl

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thankfully, everything on all three laptops in my home is backed up in at least two places. My husband and I are kinda neurotic about that stuff. We weren't careful that time things got lost but it's never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods