My friend told me about an (android) app that automatically toggles your wifi based on your location. So, say you have a wifi network at home and at work. You leave your home for work in the morning. Your phone (using it's gps features) realizes that it's no longer at home, so it turns off wifi. When you get to work, your phone (using it's gps features through 3G) realizes that its at work. The phone then turns on wifi.

Any iphone app equivelant?
    01-30-2012 11:18 AM
    i haven't seen anything yet. Blackberry used to have this too, but I can't remember the name of it. If it comes to me, I'll post again
    01-30-2012 12:13 PM
    Had this on my BlackBerry and it was quite useful... can't remember the name either now. It would certainly be a good app if anyone out there has the skills to do it!
    01-31-2012 01:16 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, which I suppose I could be, WHAT???
    If your at home in your home network, and it's saved, then when you are at home, you will be on wifi... When you leave home, and and you aren't on that network, you won't be connected to wifi! Meaning it'll be off... When you get to work, again, if network is saved, you will be back on wifi...

You shouldn't turn wifi on and off every time you leave your wifi network area... Kinda pointless
    01-31-2012 02:49 AM
    If I'm not mistaken, which I suppose I could be, WHAT???
    If your at home in your home network, and it's saved, then when you are at home, you will be on wifi... When you leave home, and and you aren't on that network, you won't be connected to wifi! Meaning it'll be off... When you get to work, again, if network is saved, you will be back on wifi...

You shouldn't turn wifi on and off every time you leave your wifi network area... Kinda pointless
    When your phone's wifi feature is on, but not connected to a wifi network, your phone is constantly searching for a network to join. This can kill your battery. If I'm driving, and I leave the wifi toggle 'on,' the phone is constantly search for a network. There is no network that I am going to join while driving, so by accidently leaving my wifi on, I'm draining my battery.

The solution is to turn off wifi when you're not around a wifi network, but to turn it on when you know you can connect to a certain network. Instead of doing it manually, this app would automatically turn your wifi on based on your location.

Make sense?
    01-31-2012 08:29 AM
    You would be much better off just going into your Settings>WiFi and turning "Ask to Join Networks" to OFF. Then it won't be constantly searching/asking you to join but will still join your known networks, because your WiFi will still be on, but only for KNOWN networks. And you won't get those ridiculous popups every time your phone finds a wifi network.

Really, it's crazy that this isn't the default setting.
    01-31-2012 10:58 AM
    You would be much better off just going into your Settings>WiFi and turning "Ask to Join Networks" to OFF. Then it won't be constantly searching/asking you to join but will still join your known networks, because your WiFi will still be on, but only for KNOWN networks. And you won't get those ridiculous popups every time your phone finds a wifi network.

Really, it's crazy that this isn't the default setting.
    While that is true I think what the original poster is talking about is having wifi off completely. The concept of the program is very simple. I have wifi at my house... the app would store the cell tower information for my house alongside the wireless network at it. If I leave my house (most likely leaving those cell towers as well if I go far enough from it) it will turn wifi completely off. On the flip side if I return to my house it recognizes there is a wifi connection associated with the cell towers it is using and turns wifi back on. The phone itself then auto connects to the network. This would work for any wifi connection you save to the app and only uses cell towers to determine if wifi should be on/off as they can essentially be used to determine your location. At least for me I only needed to go a block or so away for my phone to use another cell tower and turn wifi off or on if I was returning.

This is how the app on my BlackBerry worked and the battery savings were noticeable aside from the app working extremely well.
    01-31-2012 07:06 PM
    No, I understand what the op was asking for, and how such an app would work, but I think my suggestion is as close as you'll get. And with Ask to Join turned off you will definitely save battery.

My suggestion should solve or at least alleviate the issue he brought up: " If I'm driving, and I leave the wifi toggle 'on,' the phone is constantly search for a network. There is no network that I am going to join while driving, so by accidently leaving my wifi on, I'm draining my battery."

In other words, I don't think there's an app for that. But there are ways to make the battery better.
    01-31-2012 07:27 PM
    While that is true I think what the original poster is talking about is having wifi off completely. The concept of the program is very simple. I have wifi at my house... the app would store the cell tower information for my house alongside the wireless network at it. If I leave my house (most likely leaving those cell towers as well if I go far enough from it) it will turn wifi completely off. On the flip side if I return to my house it recognizes there is a wifi connection associated with the cell towers it is using and turns wifi back on. The phone itself then auto connects to the network. This would work for any wifi connection you save to the app and only uses cell towers to determine if wifi should be on/off as they can essentially be used to determine your location. At least for me I only needed to go a block or so away for my phone to use another cell tower and turn wifi off or on if I was returning.

This is how the app on my BlackBerry worked and the battery savings were noticeable aside from the app working extremely well.
    +1

Exactly what I was talking about.
    01-31-2012 07:27 PM
    Bear in mind too that there are other settings you can change to save battery life: brightness, location services for some apps, mail settings, location based ad settings, etc. All in all I'd wager that wifi only plays a relatively small role in the bigger picture.
    01-31-2012 07:44 PM
    Bear in mind too that there are other settings you can change to save battery life: brightness, location services for some apps, mail settings, location based ad settings, etc. All in all I'd wager that wifi only plays a relatively small role in the bigger picture.
    Oh I realize this, but some networks (both my campus's and my work's networks) I have to sign into each time for security purposes. It would be nice to have the ask to join wifi feature on without being asked to join EVERYWHERE.
    01-31-2012 07:58 PM
    Blackberry's app was called "locale".
    So far I haven't found one for the iPhone. It's frustrating. I hope one is developed/released soon
    04-26-2012 06:42 PM
    Wouldn't gps constantly checking your location to turn wifi on or off suck your battery just as much if not more than just leaving wifi on

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    04-26-2012 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD