Just wondering if anyone can point me to the directory on my phone for the following:

Dialer
    Lock Screen Slider

I would like to install a few custom dialers and sliders, but can't seem to locate the root directories (using iFunbox) where these files should be placed.

I've successfully loaded a new SBSettings theme along with a custom Theme I downloaded, but need help with these other theme/file types.

Any help would be most appreciated.
    01-26-2012 10:51 AM
    Easiest thing to do us just to take a slider theme that you know works and replace the images with whatever you want. But if my memory is right sliders are in the TelephonyUI framework, if you're starting from scratch. Not sure on dialers.

Again, look at an existing theme and duplicate the structure and you'll be fine.
    01-26-2012 02:49 PM
    ^^^ Thanks for the tips.. I downloaded a separate dialer and a separate lock screen slider and just wanted to know where to put the files. By slider themes, you mean something like I could just download through Cydia?

I downloaded the dialer and slider from MacThemes... both are individual files and not part of a "theme."

Thanks for the help.
    01-26-2012 03:10 PM
    Can you post the names of the files? You can find both themes and individual files on macthemes so I'm not sure what you have...a "slider" is usually made up of a few different files for instance--the background, the knob, etc. And the knob (the part with the arrow that you actually slide) usually has 3 files, corresponding to the three versions used in different parts of the iPhone (gray, green, and red). Some themes replace just one, some replace all three, and so on.

For themes, yes, Cydia is what I meant: download a theme and then you'll find it in /Library/Themes. Copy it to your computer and open the folder and you'll be able to see all the pieces that go into making a theme, which should make it easier to see where your replacement images need to go. Once you see it all in front of you it gets pretty easy to start building your own custom themes using the basic structure of an already existing one.

Hope that helps!
    01-26-2012 03:32 PM
    Bear in mind too that what we're calling a "theme" doesn't have to apply to the whole UI--even if it only changes one element it's still known as a theme if it uses Winterboard.
    01-26-2012 03:39 PM
    thanks.. maybe I didn't download a slider.. thought I did.. I know I downloaded a dialer..so perhaps I can just dump that into the directory you suggested?
    This is the dialer I downloaded: Dialer Dark

I'd like to find a theme with a "tap to unlock" instead of a slider.. have any suggestions?

I also downloaded this "theme" but I'm really not sure what it does: Sqoare

It looks like a Lockscreen theme to me.. just not sure...
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 01-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    01-26-2012 09:44 PM
    It's unlikely that themes that old (they say they were last updated in 2010) will work on the current firmware...Apple has renamed a lot of images with new iOS releases.

If you haven't yet tried just using Cydia to download some themes for use in Winterboard (see below), I'd strongly recommend doing that first. It's much easier to start with and you'll be able to build up a strong group of themes that already work. Then you can just play around with customizing those already proven themes.

About Winterboard: if you're not using this, you should be. Once it's installed you can just put the theme folders into /Library/Themes and then enable what you want in Winterboard. This way you're not losing your original files; instead, they'll only be replaced when the theme is enabled. It also means you can have as many dialers or sliders as you want and have the option of picking any one at any time. If you were trying to directly replace each file without using WB, you'd have to do that every time you wanted to change your slider.

I assumed you were using Winterboard since it's the bedrock component of iPhone theming, but it seems like maybe you're not? If that's the case, I strongly recommend checking out some YouTube tutorials about using it. Opens up a whole new world. Have fun!
    01-26-2012 10:53 PM
    ^^^
    Thanks for the tips. Yes I am and have been using Cydia to download themes and Winterboard to load the themes and the various components, etc.

I was only looking at other sites like MacThemes for additional themes since it just seems that Cydia only has so many themes. I've downloaded, installed and messed around with a couple dozen themes so far and delete the ones I dont like.

When you say "Once it's installed you can just put the theme folders into /Library/Themes and then enable what you want in Winterboard." what are you saying? are you saying use something like iFunbox to move things around on the phone or something else?

In winterboard I dont see an option to select different sliders or dialers- I only see complete themes.. with one exception though- I downloaded Glasklart and that them has the theme components visible in WB. so i can actually choose the Glasklart Lockscreen or the Glasklart icons.. none of the other themes that I have downloaded have this or show these when viewed using Winterboard.
    01-27-2012 12:44 AM
    I'm saying you should be using WB for all theming, even if the "theme" only replaces one icon, or just your slider. If you search for "slider" in Cydia you'll find hundreds of themes that are slider replacements ONLY. These are still called themes and are still applied via Winterboard.

The beauty of WB (and my point about /Library/Themes) is that you can put multiple themes in the library and just turn them on or off whenever you'd like. So if you have Glasklart enabled but also want a skull and crossbones slider, you can download that slider separately via Cydia and run both things at once. Simply put the slider theme above the Glasklart theme in the list, and check both.

I feel like we're not quite understanding WB in the same way, so let me know if that makes sense.
    01-27-2012 07:18 AM
    And by the way I don't want to put you off of macthemesI love that site. Using it just means a bit more work than using Cydia alone, but it's absolutely worth it!
    01-27-2012 07:23 AM
    One more post...here is what my WB theme section looks like; the first checked theme is only for my messages app, the next two are both for my lockscreen (they theme different parts), and the last is for a single status bar icon. I don't use any "complete" themes if you see what I mean.

(and coincidentally those first two came from macthemes)
    Last edited by Massie; 01-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
    01-27-2012 07:55 AM
    Thank you again. I think I'm using the term "Theme" to describe the entire package (icons, fonts, dialer, etc) - all of that which encompasses a "theme." i understand that there are other "themes" for lockscreens/sliders, notification centers, etc...

I think I have the lockscreen/slider understood, i'm just now trying to figure out how to individually replace the dialer from within a complete theme with another dialer (which is a separate dialer theme) that I downloaded.. I suppose that the dialer is still considered a "theme" so can I place the dialer package (folder) under WB Themes using iFunbox, then select the new dialer theme from WB?
    01-27-2012 04:02 PM
    Sure, you can do that two ways:

-directly replace the dialer images in one theme with those from the other
    -or, easier: just place the separate dialer theme above the other theme in WB, and enable both. It will use the top dialer but won't affect the other parts of the theme below it.

It's like this: say you have three themes in WB. One just a slider(A), one a slider and a dialer (B), and one a complete theme including yet another slider and dialer (C). If they are listed in WB like this

A
    B
    C

it will take the slider from A, the dialer from B, and everything else from C. Whatever comes first in the list takes precedence, so if 2 themes cover the same areas, the one on top will be used.
    01-27-2012 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD