Why jailbreak a Wifi-only iPad 2?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Aside from Intelliscreen X, which I totally agree is outstanding, what apps are out there that make jailbreaking an iPad, especially a Wifi-only iPad 2, worthwhile?

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Yikes! Maybe I should ask what NOT to install! 2 days into jailbreak, and I got all kinds of problems from the app that is supposed to simply give you the option of changing the notification center background...NO GOOD! It made my iPad go all kinds of wonky. I restored it, jailbroke it again, and am now in the process of restoring all of my apps onto it. PITA. Still searching for some good worthwhile apps for tweaking my Wifi iPad, but once bitten twice shy I'll think really hard and ask before installing something else that looks too good to be true.

Sean Bartel

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
Aaaaaaaand now the Cydia app won't open. I'm not giving up on the iPad jailbreak (yet!) but I'm not feeling like continuing to work on this tonight. I'm going to have to go through the whole deal again some other time. Good night, iMore people!

Calebswag7

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
That is completely why i really hate jail breaking, because it brings a few cool mods with loads of respringing, speed issues, and crappy not finely tuned content. The only reason I'd say to jailbreak your iPad 2 would be for siri! which i am about to do.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Aside from Intelliscreen X, which I totally agree is outstanding, what apps are out there that make jailbreaking an iPad, especially a Wifi-only iPad 2, worthwhile?

8 reasons, none of which require anything other than wifi to utilize:

-ISX (or other NC tweaks)
-Theming (see winterboard, springtomize, paralax, others)
-Quick reply apps for Facebook, Twitter, and iMessages
-Pandora no skip hack
-Change your default web browser
-Activator (let's you open apps from anywhere)
-SBSettings (or equivalent) - let's you toggle settings without going into settings app
-Grooveshark (I don't personally use this, but many people do)

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
That is completely why i really hate jail breaking, because it brings a few cool mods with loads of respringing, speed issues, and crappy not finely tuned content. The only reason I'd say to jailbreak your iPad 2 would be for siri! which i am about to do.

From what I've found, if you pay attention to what you put on your phone, you won't have many issues. If you install two apps that change the carrier logo, that's going to confuse iOS. If you have two sliders activated in winterboard, that's going to confuse iOS. But if you have one app for the custom carrier logo, one slider activated, one icon theming set activated, you'll be fine and bug free.

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
8 reasons, none of which require anything other than wifi to utilize:

-ISX (or other NC tweaks)
-Theming (see winterboard, springtomize, paralax, others)
-Quick reply apps for Facebook, Twitter, and iMessages
-Pandora no skip hack
-Change your default web browser
-Activator (let's you open apps from anywhere)
-SBSettings (or equivalent) - let's you toggle settings without going into settings app
-Grooveshark (I don't personally use this, but many people do)

Very cool, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Sean Bartel

Microcosmos

Sep 19, 2005
Visit site

I definitely agree it can be a PITA sometimes, but I'm still going to go through with it! Thanks for the Siri suggestion!

Sean Bartel

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Worth is always highly subjective. We can't tell you what you will or will not find worthwhile -- especially if you don't tell us the types of things that you would find worthwhile. There are a ton of options out there. Spend some time reading up in JB apps forums and see what sounds like it would suit you.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can honestly say that right now I don't know the answer to your question. But it's still jailbroken so I can find it!

ETA - I've already hosed my iPad 2 also. Tried installing apps one by one, and that didn't help, so I just restored and re-jailbroke. Added apps back over a couple of days (helped that I started a new project that keeps me insanely busy at work and away from playing with my iToys!), and it's smooth sailing so far. I haven't gotten into themes yet, though.

sondo8

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreak is so much fun!
This is why:
barrell 2
Bitesms
Five icon dock
Hands free control
Infiniboard
Lockinfo
MyWi (mobile hotspot)