best tethering/hotspot app?

morrow95

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
What is everyones opinion on the best tethering app out there right now? I found quite a few, but have yet to try any out... I just need something which would allow me to use the phones data through my laptop.

aggieastrosfan

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Haven't tried MiWi yet, but probably will. PDANet was the last thing I installed before my phone started crashing every time I closed an app. Ended up having to restore and re-jailbreak.

morrow95

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think I will give MyWi 5 a try then. I saw it in Cydia, but would rather go off suggestions plus its kind of tough to find things in Cydia. The only time I will need it is when traveling, but I will definitely need it when the time comes.

Thanks for the suggestions!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
where can i get it. Is there a free copy

just pay the $20, and get the support, like a normal human being :D well worth it, imo

for instance; i bought MyWi a couple of years ago. going by at&t's tethering rates i have saved a ton of $

one thing you, or anyone else, may want to consider though is if you are on a "Unlimited Plan" or not.. i am

sondo8

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Best app I've bought so far on cydia. I had palm pre mobile hot spot and it was slow. Mywi is fast, real fast, especially the usb tether.

sector107

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I thought the point of jailbreaking was to expand the use of the iPhone without paying for it, but I find myself paying for badass apps. Haha.

May the Force be with you.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
that's the misconception of jailbreaking and the main reason why jailbreakers get a bad rap. yes, jailbreaking is the gateway to getting "stuff" for free but when you pay you also get the necessary support along the way

surely you like getting a paycheck when you work, don't you?

i have spent more in Cydia than i have in the App Store lol

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
that's the misconception of jailbreaking and the main reason why jailbreakers get a bad rap. yes, jailbreaking is the gateway to getting "stuff" for free but when you pay you also get the necessary support along the way

surely you like getting a paycheck when you work, don't you?

i have spent more in Cydia than i have in the App Store lol

I'm in total agreement!

I don't understand why people will pay $200 plus for a phone and $70 or more for service then cry about a $2 app (or a one time $20 fee like MyWi which can be installed on 5 devices). If you can't afford the app then don't buy the phone or the app.

Even worse are the people stealing apps, the devs work hard on their apps. Support them so they can keep making us great apps.

P.S. To answer the OP question. I like MiWi 5.0. It's faster than PDANet in my experience. I like the ability to install on 5 devices and I'd rather pay through Cydia so when I upgrade to a new device I can easily reinstall later on.

Last edited:

andyriot

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Does no one like TetherMe? I hardly ever tether, but to me TetherMe seems the best solution being that it is not a separate app, but just enables the stock hotspot option to work with a custom APN so it looks like its the phone itself. The need for a third party app seems silly when its already built in, no?

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Does no one like TetherMe? I hardly ever tether, but to me TetherMe seems the best solution being that it is not a separate app, but just enables the stock hotspot option to work with a custom APN so it looks like its the phone itself. The need for a third party app seems silly when its already built in, no?

Personally I use Tetherme as well. I prefer using the built in method.

Pretty interesting discussion about stealing apps, when this is a thread about stealing data. Lol.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Personally I use Tetherme as well. I prefer using the built in method.

Pretty interesting discussion about stealing apps, when this is a thread about stealing data. Lol.

I'm terrified to use tether me because it looks so stock!!! Like boom, it's all there and setup, like i already agreed to pay $20 a month to use it... So you and other guy confirm it doesn't get you flagged or tagged by carrier???
Also we're not stealing data, we're simply using the data we are paying for! How dare they charge us for data we pay for!!!!
I have unlimited data... As far as I'm concerned, that means I have unlimited data!!! Incan put that data wherever the heck I want!!
I remember having unlimited data when smart phones were just coming up, per android and note iPhone... I used vznavigator and got a ten dollar charge! I called and was like what the heck??? Why is there a charge? And was told because it uses data... I said I have unlimited data!!!! Then i was told its different data....
To this day Verizon STILL charges $10 extra a month for vznavigator on all it's devices!

koolhand79

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm terrified to use tether me because it looks so stock!!! Like boom, it's all there and setup, like i already agreed to pay $20 a month to use it... So you and other guy confirm it doesn't get you flagged or tagged by carrier???
Also we're not stealing data, we're simply using the data we are paying for! How dare they charge us for data we pay for!!!!
I have unlimited data... As far as I'm concerned, that means I have unlimited data!!! Incan put that data wherever the heck I want!!
I remember having unlimited data when smart phones were just coming up, per android and note iPhone... I used vznavigator and got a ten dollar charge! I called and was like what the heck??? Why is there a charge? And was told because it uses data... I said I have unlimited data!!!! Then i was told its different data....
To this day Verizon STILL charges $10 extra a month for vznavigator on all it's devices!

No you're stealing data. Your contract stipulates that you get however much data you have paid for to use on your device and your device only. Any other use is considered stealing or a breach of contract. Now most of us have justified it by saying, "how can u charge me twice for data, it's all just bits." but it's their business and their business model like it or not. It may not be fair to us, but it's still stealing to use that data in any way than u agreed to use it when u signed up. Most of us have only paid for data to be used on the phone.

But yes I can confirm I have not been charged by my carrier(Sprint) for using tetherme. Catch me if you can!!!!!! Lol

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
No you're stealing data. Your contract stipulates that you get however much data you have paid for to use on your device and your device only. Any other use is considered stealing or a breach of contract. Now most of us have justified it by saying, "how can u charge me twice for data, it's all just bits." but it's their business and their business model like it or not. It may not be fair to us, but it's still stealing to use that data in any way than u agreed to use it when u signed up. Most of us have only paid for data to be used on the phone.

But yes I can confirm I have not been charged by my carrier(Sprint) for using tetherme. Catch me if you can!!!!!! Lol

I can respect that answer...
Thanks for the answer about tether me

jonyeh

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I simply use the Google Navigation as my GPS software. You got it for free when you down load the Google Maps. It is pretty handy, even in walking distance like in the LA Downtown area to look for a bank ATM, and it guided me, it really saved my time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73