So I guess it was always inevitable.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
That the untethered jailbreak for 4S devices will be released 10 minutes before Apple releases 5.1.

LOL. Decisions, Decisions.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
That the untethered jailbreak for 4S devices will be released 10 minutes before Apple releases 5.1.

LOL. Decisions, Decisions.

Are you guessing or did you read that somewhere?

That doesn't make sense since the jb developers have already stated that 5.1 beta3 has fixed the exploit.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
Are you guessing or did you read that somewhere?

That doesn't make sense since the jb developers have already stated that 5.1 beta3 has fixed the exploit.

No inside info or anything. I know that beta 3 was just released to developers and that the untethered jailbreak for the A5 Iphone and Ipad is days away from release. So I am saying that we can finally jailbreak our Iphones and then five minutes later Apple will release 5.1 which closes the exploit.

Or am I not understanding?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
*sigh* the life of jailbreaking.. i have a funny feeling i will be updating to 5.1 as soon as it comes out. i always feel like i am missing out when i do not update when there is a new release. if/when i get bored of being stock then i will downgrade to jailbreak again (via iFaith)

although, assuming there will be a tethered JB for 5.1 i may seriously consider that too (with semi-tether)

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
*sigh* the life of jailbreaking.. i have a funny feeling i will be updating to 5.1 as soon as it comes out. i always feel like i am missing out when i do not update when there is a new release. if/when i get bored of being stock then i will downgrade to jailbreak again (via iFaith)

although, assuming there will be a tethered JB for 5.1 i may seriously consider that too (with semi-tether)

I have understood that for A5 devices there won't ever be a tethered or semi-tethered jailbreak because the injection code is not a hardware exploit.

The non-A5 devices there will always be a tethered/semi-tethered because of the limera1n exploit written by geohot which is hardware exploit.

Or did I mix it up?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have understood that for A5 devices there won't ever be a tethered or semi-tethered jailbreak because the injection code is not a hardware exploit.

The non-A5 devices there will always be a tethered/semi-tethered because of the limera1n exploit written by geohot which is hardware exploit.

Or did I mix it up?

i believe you are correct

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Or did I mix it up?

Except for the A5 part, which has been jailbroken, thanks to the breaking out of the sandbox, they are
Just finishing up the actual program writing as we speak!!! Days away if not less!

NoGoodNick

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
You can upgrade to 5.0.1 and still get your jailbreak, because TinyUmbrella has worked out a way to fake the Apple driver so it thinks an earlier iOS is the latest version. Thus you can upgrade 5.1, and when the jailbreak is released you can install the earlier iOS as a "fake" 5.1.3.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
can someone please explain a tethered vs non-tethered jb???

Simple explanation is that tethered means if you reboot, power down, or the battery dies on your iPhone you will HAVE to boot the phone connected to a computer for it to work. You can however respring without issue. Recently there was a Cydia app named Semi-tether that allowed you to have limited access to features (Phone calls and texting being the most important) after a reboot. I don't know if it will work on the A5 devices.

With Untethered you can go about your business as usual. No special requirements when rebooting, battery dies etc...

Obvious having an untethered jailbreak is preferred.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
You can upgrade to 5.0.1 and still get your jailbreak, because TinyUmbrella has worked out a way to fake the Apple driver so it thinks an earlier iOS is the latest version. Thus you can upgrade 5.1, and when the jailbreak is released you can install the earlier iOS as a "fake" 5.1.3.

What happens when apples releases a 5.1.2 ? And your software is "newer"

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site

This holds true for non-A5 devices.
But with A5 devices the SHSH blobs are treated differently.

This is from the tinyumbrella developer's blog.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2012/01/iphone-4s-9a406-preemptive-support.html

Roose00

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
when there is a new iOS update, how do I keep it from updating on my phone so i dont lose the JB? with the whole mobile update and itunes update pestering now. can i turn off automatic notifications?

also, this may seem dumb, but can i backup to itunes with a JB installed? is there a conflict? and if so, is there a backup option?

thanks

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73