I'm looking into buying an iPhone 4 from a family member. I understand that you can only unlock certain basebands however. Is there any way I can instruct them to see what their baseband is to determine if it's unlockable?

Also, this article is pretty recent, and I couldn't find anything else, so I'm assuming this information is up to date (with the exception of the tethered jailbreak only clause).

Edit: as a seperate question. If it is at iOS 5.0.1 and an unusable baseband, is there anyway to get the baseband back to the old, unlockable one? I'm pretty comfortable with fooling around with this stuff, but I have only really done it on the android side. Never really messed with iOS past the standard jailbreak.
    Last edited by E_man; 01-10-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    01-10-2012 02:51 PM
    I don't think you could downgrade the baseband for an iPhone 4, but you could try a gevey sim if the baseband is right. I also don't think you could upgrade the iPhone 4 baseband to the iPad baseband which is unlockable via Ultrasn0w.
    01-10-2012 11:10 PM
    Is there anyway you can see what baseband you have from the phone or iTunes?
    01-11-2012 11:05 AM
    Settings > General > About > It's called "Modem Firmware"
    E_man#CB likes this.
    01-11-2012 11:26 AM
    Is there anyway you can see what baseband you have from the phone or iTunes?
    Is your phone activated? The guy above has the right instructions for getting to your baseband. If you have an unofficial sim card, you'd have to hacktivate it by jailbreaking. After that you can find out the baseband on your iPhone.
    01-11-2012 08:30 PM
    He doesn't have the phone yet--he wants someone else to check the BB so he can decide whether or not to buy it. OP, just follow totalimmortal's advice on how to check BB.
    01-11-2012 10:09 PM
    Thanks for the advice!
    01-12-2012 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD