Help me help my brother (jailbreak + tether)

Andrew Martonik#IM

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I'll be upfront in saying I am absolutely not an iPhone person. I spend my time in the Android forums (PLENTY of knowledge on rooting/hacking/etc.), but today my brother has asked for my help with jailbreaking + tethering his iPhone 3GS. Thus, I come to the wonderful people here to ask for help.

So here's the deal. He's got an iPhone 3GS on AT&T, with grandfathered unlimited data. We'll get out of the way the fact that I'm dealing with this over the phone, so its doubly tough for me to troubleshoot.

He's running iOS 5.0.1, and has followed (successfully) the untethered jailbreak method from redsn0w. Purchased/installed from Cydia the 'TetherMe' app, and rebooted then attempted to use it. We understand that it doesn't offer WiFi tethering, but all he needs is Bluetooth or USB. The issue being that these options won't work either. When he first went to the "mobile hotspot" menu option that gets added after installing TetherMe, it just hung and did nothing. While talking to me, he noted that in Settings > General > Network > , there is no "internet tethering" menu item, but my understanding is that that should be an item in the settings by default regardless of jailbreak (am I wrong? going off of what I see in YouTube videos on this).

So fastforward, he installed SBSettings to get the notification center pull-down toggles, and used the 'tethering' toggle, which successfully turns it on, and lets him access the setting (the new one under WiFi, created by installing TetherMe), but it still does not work. He's got a MacBook, and the first few times, OSX recognized it as a network interface and popped up a dialogue, but he was unable to use it to connect. Same case when he used bootcamp Windows XP. Now, nothing seems to be working.

Should he try restoring to stock 5.0.1 and starting over? I'm unsure what to tell him at this point. I'm worried about the fact that the stock (settings > general > network > internet tethering) menu isn't available, and I'm thinking that is part of the problem. It'd be a hell of a lot easier if he was with me and I could troubleshoot in person.

So I'd really appreciate if someone would be able to lead me to the answer or some more information, or where to start looking. I've looked all over and can't find anything definitive about this stuff. So much different than Android!

TIA

Andrew Martonik#IM

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Well, we figured it out! Did some research and he just had to delete a profile off of his phone. After doing so, the settings for internet tethering showed up and it works over USB just fine!

Hope this helps someone else :p

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've moved this thread to the jailbreak forum so that people who can help you will actually see it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73