Positives and Negatives about JailBreaking your Iphone?

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Read a few posts here claiming jb makes your phone slower and reduces battery life. Neither of these is true. Jail breaking itself does not reduce speed nor battery. There are plenty of tweaks however that will.

Jail breaking does void your warranty BUT it is reversible and nobody will ever know you jak broke your device.

Exactly, I've jailbroken about 4 or 5 different Iphone 4's, and never experienced a slow down or worse battery life...with the jailbreak itself. Its what tweak/cydia app that you add, that can cause the problem. In my opinion, its better to jailbreak, and have the option to do what you want with your phone, than to not. And like it has been said, you can easily restore to manufacturer's settings, or to an old backup, and with the new Icloud restore...its even easier to do get everything back the way that you want it.

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, I've jailbroken about 4 or 5 different Iphone 4's, and never experienced a slow down or worse battery life...with the jailbreak itself. Its what tweak/cydia app that you add, that can cause the problem. In my opinion, its better to jailbreak, and have the option to do what you want with your phone, than to not. And like it has been said, you can easily restore to manufacturer's settings, or to an old backup, and with the new Icloud restore...its even easier to do get everything back the way that you want it.

However, with the upcoming untethered A5 jailbreak, since there is speculation that Apple will stop signing 5.0.1 very soon, we (jailbreakers) will have problems restoring to 5.0.1 if we need to. Apple doesn't treat SHSH blobs the same as they did in iOS 4. So if tiny umbrella can't trick our iPhone 4S or iPad 2's into verifying restored 5.0.1 firmware when the signing window is closed, we are stuck upgrading to latest iOS that won't have a jailbreak.

I have NEVER (knock on wood) had to restore to stock firmware on a jailbreak gone bad for my iOS devices or friends. (3G/3GS/4)

I am hoping the iPhone Dev team will find us a way to go back to stock 5.0.1 firmware (if it's needed) and still jailbreak.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

briankeith513

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
However, with the upcoming untethered A5 jailbreak, since there is speculation that Apple will stop signing 5.0.1 very soon, we (jailbreakers) will have problems restoring to 5.0.1 if we need to. Apple doesn't treat SHSH blobs the same as they did in iOS 4. So if tiny umbrella can't trick our iPhone 4S or iPad 2's into verifying restored 5.0.1 firmware when the signing window is closed, we are stuck upgrading to latest iOS that won't have a jailbreak.

I have NEVER (knock on wood) had to restore to stock firmware on a jailbreak gone bad for my iOS devices or friends. (3G/3GS/4)

I am hoping the iPhone Dev team will find us a way to go back to stock 5.0.1 firmware (if it's needed) and still jailbreak.

I hear you, but that's not that big of an issue for me. Those who are trying to restore because they no longer want to be jailbroken would want stock anyway, and they'd be able to get the latest stock iOS. For those that don't, they can use the latest ifaith or tinyumbrella, which are said to work with 5.0.1. And last, one of the known jailbreakers said recently, that he has something in the works for 5.1

Sent from my VZW iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I hear you, but that's not that big of an issue for me. Those who are trying to restore because they no longer want to be jailbroken would want stock anyway, and they'd be able to get the latest stock iOS. For those that don't, they can use the latest ifaith or tinyumbrella, which are said to work with 5.0.1. And last, one of the known jailbreakers said recently, that he has something in the works for 5.1

Sent from my VZW iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

I already backed up my 5.0.1 SHSH blobs last night with TinyUmbrella successfully. Of course, you don't know if the process was useful until you have to restore to same firmware successfully.

Two months ago, I used TinyUmbrella to downgrade my tethered 5.0 jailbreak iPhone 4 to stock 4.3.3 as the CL buyer wanted an untethered jailbreak for 4.3.3. It worked like a charm.

I can't wait for next week!

iPhoneklr

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
where's Redbeard .... i'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet lol. he can't stand to hear anyone bad mouth a jailbreak. can't wait to read his post.

jus messing with buddy :)

Team Pure all the way for me, no questions asked. and yes i have had two iPhones jailbroken before. i just prefer to not ever have to worry about my iPhone or its warranty, plain and simple i'm happy with what i have and it does all i need and then some.

Last edited:

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I had mine jailbroken for a few weeks, once before os5 and once after. I reverted to stock both times. Even with intelliscreen, infinidock etc it wasn't worth the instability I ran into. The only times I ever had random reboots, freezing and crashing was when jailbroken.

Won't do it again.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

karuzo#IM

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I JB'd my iPhone the first time I got it which was a while ago. Did it for the fun as I like to experiment. I have an iPhone 4 now and is not JB. I just didn't find a reason or need to. There were couple of things I wanted that I was told you can easily do if you JB the device, like wanting to video capture a gameplay.

Doron

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
where's Redbeard .... i'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet lol. he can't stand to hear anyone bad mouth a jailbreak. can't wait to read his post.

jus messing with buddy :)

Team Pure all the way for me, no questions asked. and yes i have had two iPhones jailbroken before. i just prefer to not ever have to worry about my iPhone or its warranty, plain and simple i'm happy with what i have and it does all i need and then some.

I didn't know I had a fan club?:eek:

I don't care what people think one way or another, what bothers me is the clowns who post stuff they pull out of the rear quarters like saying it's "illegal", or it will break your phone, or open it up to viruses. It's mis-information that I can't stand!:eek:

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Jailbreaking lets you tweak your phone as much as you want. Changing things like the carrier name or the animation when changing home screens. My battery was never terrible and usually never had any type of slowdown.

The bad: You are basically opening up your phone. For instance, with the latest jailbreak qTweeter, a very cool twitter client, does not work and will freeze up your phone and cannot reboot without completely rejailbreaking. For the most part these things don't happen but they CAN.

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
For completeness, jail breaking also opens your device up to possible malware attacks, since applications are not screened by Apple.

The only known malware or virus attacks on any iOS devices have been on jail broken devices.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The biggest negative to me right now is the amount of time its taking to get a jailbreak. Jailbreaking used to be a reason to get an iphone. Not anymore. It doesn't appear to be a viable option.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
And that has happened how many times?

There are better things to worry about, I'd rather have my smartphone be useable and operate like an actual smartphone, rather than keep it locked up so it's barely useable, all because of the infinitesimally small chance that it could one day be attacked by malware. Most security holes on the iPhone have been in stock iOS itself directly from Apple, i'd say the jailbreak scene has had better security than Apple has.

It's these security flaws themselves that allows people to jailbreak in the first place, which then Apple usually patches up, so in fact, those of you who don't jailbreak can thank the jailbreak developers for finding the security exploits in iOS and alerting Apple to them so they can be patched.:p:):cool:

roxanne91

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
help??

I recently did an untethered jailbreak on my iphone 4 and after installing some tweaks such as "springtomise" and "weespace" and many more and i have noticed that my multitasking gesture and autolock doesnt work.
also i am not sure if its the tweaks or the jailbreak thats prevented the multi task and autolock
I dont want to have to un install every tweak to realise it was just the jailbreak!!

does anyone know what maybe wrong?

thank you

TheGoodSon

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Jailbreaking can be fun and exciting as long as you are somewhat savvy with your iDevice. Simply just in-case you need to do some diagnostics to it or create a custom firmware etc. Some of that can be a bit confusing and overwhelming for a novice user.

But on the other hand it can also make all your iPhone dreams come true if you know what your doing.

So if your confidence is built up and your ready to give it a whirl then just do tons of research ahead of time and read peoples posts and their experiences. You can learn from their mistakes. lol cause there are certain things that are important like backing up and making sure you have a good jailbreak build from a trusted source and install tweaks one at a time to test them. preserve your baseband (depending) and other stuff too.

needless to say just know what your getting yourself into :cool:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods