I seem to have bricked my iPhone. Would a motherboard change fix that? Or what other hardware(s) should I get replaced? Thanks in advance.

More info:
    It only shows the connect to iTunes screen.
    It was most likely on the iPad baseband, than it was updated to ios5.
    I tried everything now (redsn0w, tinyumbrella, fixrecovery), but nothing seems to work. I can't downgrade.
    BTW I'm not in favor of jailbreaking, it was like that when I received it.
    12-24-2011 06:50 AM
    If it's showing the connect to iTunes screen, it's not bricked. Bricked means no life whatsoever and totally unusable - like a brick.

Have you tried the obvious - connect it to iTunes and hit restore? Since you're not in favor of jailbreaking, there's no reason to downgrade.
    redbeard likes this.
    12-24-2011 08:53 AM
    iTunes restore always gives an error message (different kinds, depending on how I do it.)
    Redsn0w, tinyumbrella and fixrecovery also give error messages.
    It turns out that I need to jailbreak or use a gevey SIM because I don't have the supported SIM. (I thought it was independent when I bought it.)
    I don't think it can be solved without some hardware change.
    12-24-2011 09:11 AM
    If its got the iPad baseband you'll need to make a custom ipsw using sn0wbreeze or a similar program and use the shift+restore method...once you install that baseband you can no longer use the usual iTunes update and restore methods (as you discovered, it always returns an error).

Google restore custom ipsw sn0wbreeze for instructions. Or search the forum for something similar.
    12-24-2011 12:44 PM
    If its got the iPad baseband you'll need to make a custom ipsw using sn0wbreeze or a similar program and use the shift+restore method...once you install that baseband you can no longer use the usual iTunes update and restore methods (as you discovered, it always returns an error).

Google restore custom ipsw sn0wbreeze for instructions. Or search the forum for something similar.
    Thanks, but I managed to restore to 4.1 and exit recovery mode with umbrella.
    Now I just need to upgrade to 4.33 and unlock/hacktivate. I don't know if I'll need to do what you just said.
    Should I unlock/hacktivate in 4.1, or should I upgrade first?
    12-24-2011 02:57 PM
    The only way to brick an iPhone is the drop it on the floor so hard that it physically breaks. Period.
    12-24-2011 06:09 PM
    The only way to brick an iPhone is the drop it on the floor so hard that it physically breaks. Period.
    even this is not guranteed to completely brick the device.
    12-25-2011 12:53 AM
    I seem to have bricked my iPhone. Would a motherboard change fix that? Or what other hardware(s) should I get replaced? Thanks in advance.

More info:
    It only shows the connect to iTunes screen.
    It was most likely on the iPad baseband, than it was updated to ios5.
    I tried everything now (redsn0w, tinyumbrella, fixrecovery), but nothing seems to work. I can't downgrade.
    BTW I'm not in favor of jailbreaking, it was like that when I received it.
    Just bring it to an apple store, don't tell them it's JB'd or anything. They'll get it back to stock, then you can do whatever you want to do with it.
    12-25-2011 10:42 AM
    I managed to get it to 4.33, I just cant activate. Making a custom ipsw with sn0wbreeze doesn't work.
    Any other methods I could use for activation?
    12-25-2011 04:14 PM
    I solved it. Now I have an untethered 4.3.3 jailbreak and I managed to activate it too.

Here is everything I did:

01, iTunes: restore ipsw 4.1 -> error 1015
    02, tinyumbrella: exit recovery
    03, redsn0w 0.9.6rc16: install cydia
    04, redsn0w 0.9.6rc16: install ipad baseband
    05, sn0wbreeze 2.7.3: create custom ipsw from 4.3.3 -> iReb: pwned DFU state.
    06, tinyumbrella: save SHSH
    07, tinyumbrella: Start TSS server
    08, iTunes: shift+restore 4.3.3 custom ipsw
    09, iPhone: Cydia: install ultrasn0w 1.2.5
    10, Restart phone.
    12-26-2011 10:05 AM
    wouldn't that be "crumbled"?
    12-26-2011 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD