Glbosko53

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So I'm trying to grasp the concept of doing this. It saves an SHSH BLOB, whatever that is, to my computer so if I accidentally upgrade to a new firmware I can restore my phone to the saved firmware (SHSH blob right?) without apple signing the firmware.

A few questions:
1. Can I still run iFaith to save my SHSH blob firmware, 5.0, if I am jailbroken before running the application?
2. If no, why not?
3. This does nothing to the phone itself but save a blob, right?
4. Is it safe?

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes
2. N/A
3. Yes
It will save 5.0 blob, then you can use that to create a "signed" blob. Then you can restore or downgrade to 5.0 whenever you need to

Glbosko53

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Do you know if I will have to restore my phone after the process?

I use my iPad as test the dummy haha, but still try and find out some information before hand.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
when i did mine yesterday i did not have to restore. however, there was an option to at the end of making my own ipsw file. i chose not too

side note: late last night i had plugged my phone in and it started syncing with iTunes like usual. a few minutes later i went to browse the web and my phone was in safe mode. so i forced started the sync via the device and it crashed again. i could not sync at all with iTunes. so i decided to restore, as new, and re-jailbreak. yeah, it might have been a little extreme to do this but i did not have the patience, or time, to troubleshoot

something must have happened when i used the iFaith software because i have not tweaked my phone for a couple of days and i have synced with iTunes since then without a problem. now, i'll have to wait for 5.1 to be released to see if the custom firmware i created will work, or not

go here: How to Save iOS 5 SHSH Blobs and Create Custom Firmware to Downgrade iOS 5.x Using iFaith

Glbosko53

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Final question...creating an SHSH blob while jailbroken creates a stock blob with no files of a jailbroken device(so when restored through iTunes from the blob its restored stock and not restored jailbroken(which I don't think is possible lol), yes??) The video didn't specify if it was a jailbroken phone or not.

Trying to eliminate any problems lol.

You guys have been helpful like always!

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Final question...creating an SHSH blob while jailbroken creates a stock blob with no files of a jailbroken device(so when restored through iTunes from the blob its restored stock and not restored jailbroken(which I don't think is possible lol), yes??) The video didn't specify if it was a jailbroken phone or not.

Trying to eliminate any problems lol.

You guys have been helpful like always!

An SHSH blob is essentially an ID that links your device with each firmware that Apple releases. Jailbreak apps should affect it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
An SHSH blob is essentially an ID that links your device with each firmware that Apple releases. Jailbreak apps should affect it.

if you're suggesting that it may affect saved blob(s) in a negative way then there are going to be millions of people who will all be in the same boat, regarding iOS 5.0, assuming they're already jailbroken on 5.0 and waiting for a way to save their blobs

i guess ideally, it would be best to save blobs right after a fresh restore as new?

Glbosko53

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Just created some for my iPad and my iPhone. I restored the iPhone with the blob and I haven't ran into any problems so I can only assume that it is safe creating one while you are jailbroken with tweaks and applications installed as I had a few installed.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site

if you're suggesting that it may affect saved blob(s) in a negative way then there are going to be millions of people who will all be in the same boat, regarding iOS 5.0, assuming they're already jailbroken on 5.0 and waiting for a way to save their blobs

i guess ideally, it would be best to save blobs right after a fresh restore as new?

I'm guessing, but I think that may have been a typo...I've used SHSH saved from a jb'ed device before to load firmwares that Apple wasn't signing and it's never been an issue.

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry! iOS's autocorrect totally failed me! :)
I meant to say that JB apps don't affect the SHSH blobs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711