iOS 5 on an unlocked T-Mobile Phone

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if there was a thread on this before, I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. My sister has an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile (using a gevey sim card) and it's currently running iOS 4 right now (not sure of the exact version number). I've read something about upgrading to iOS 5 in that you have to preserve the original baseband for the phone to work using T-Mobile on iOS 5. How would this work if she wanted to upgrade her phone to iOS5? Is it possible right now?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I will assume you're running Windows.

There are two possible options: create a custom firmware that preserves your baseband and installs Cydia (a.k.a. jailbreaks your iPhone) or create a custom firmware that preserves your baseband without installing Cydia.

I recommend following this guide in order to create the custom firmware file. If you decide not to install Cydia, in Step 4 of the tutorial select Baseband Preservation Mode and skip Step 5.

Good luck.

Reactions: LewLew23

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link!

So if her phone is Jailbroken then, I would assume that I wouldn't have to install Cydia, correct?

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the link!

So if her phone is Jailbroken then, I would assume that I wouldn't have to install Cydia, correct?

The iPhone may be jailbroken on iOS 4, however by updating to iOS 5, all data on the phone (including the jailbreak) will be wiped. In step 4 you can choose whether to install Cydia again.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the issue, but the jailbreak for iOS 5 is tethered. If this is news to you, I strongly recommend reading this article prior to making a decision on the subject.

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone may be jailbroken on iOS 4, however by updating to iOS 5, all data on the phone (including the jailbreak) will be wiped. In step 4 you can choose whether to install Cydia again.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the issue, but the jailbreak for iOS 5 is tethered. If this is news to you, I strongly recommend reading this article prior to making a decision on the subject.

Yeah I read and researched the whole tethered/semi-tethered aspect. I'm gonna ask her what she wants to do. She doesn't really use jailbroken apps, the only reason she has it unlocked is because she has T-Mobile. So if she uses Semi-Tether, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal for her.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox