iPhone 4 stuck with dim black screen

pezDspencer

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
RESOLVED -- iPhone 4 stuck with dim black screen

Hello all,

I'm needing some help. I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.9b7. I've had no problems with it for a while. Yesterday, I accidentally let the battery die. I've done this before of course, and just boot with redsn0w again from DFU mode.

Only this time, after charging it, the phone is completely stuck. It shows a black screen which looks like it is completely dark. However, after examining it, I can see that the backlight it on -- it is just very dim.

But nothing on the screen at all -- no logo, nothing. Here's what I've tried to do, all with no help:

1. Tried DFU Mode, iPhone won't respond.
  2. Tried to just do a hard power off by holding home button + Lock for 30 seconds. No response.
  3. Tried plugging into iTunes. No recognition.
  4. Tried holding Home + Lock + both volume buttons for 30 second. No recognition.

Also, I logged into my wireless router -- my iPhone isn't connected to the network like normal -- so I don't think this is a screen issue. It truly is not on.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm completely stuck at this point.

TIA.

Last edited:

pezDspencer

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Update

*** Update ***

Everything is now working. I decided to just let the battery die, and this worked for me.

Eventually, the screen flashed black, and the battery plug icon came up telling me to charge the phone. I did so, and then afterwards I was able to boot into DFU and then use redsn0w like normal to boot up.

So, if anyone else has this problem occur -- just be patient and wait for the phone to die completely, and you should be fine. Until then, nothing else will work. Must be some strange bug with a tethered jailbreak.

CastuloJ

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone is stuck in this black dim light too... My phone has the untethered jailbreak, and 5.1.1 firmware. I was using my phone normally, but then it did a respring by itself, and then it froze in a weird screen, to finally end up on the black dim screen. I have also tried everything, DFU mode, recovery mode, hardware reset and nothing, the iPhone is still in that black screen. I am gonna follow your suggestion and just wait till the battery dies and see if that helps. i'll keep my fingers crossed, I am sweating bullets here.:confused:

CastuloJ

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Great news, just as PezDspencer explained, I just let the battery of my iPhone die and that fixed the problem, after I recharged it again it was as good as new. It got me scared this time! So if you ever encounter with this strange problem, relax and just wait till the battery dies, hopefully that will fix your problem too. ;)

mi-shell

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Great news, just as PezDspencer explained, I just let the battery of my iPhone die and that fixed the problem, after I recharged it again it was as good as new. It got me scared this time! So if you ever encounter with this strange problem, relax and just wait till the battery dies, hopefully that will fix your problem too. ;)
how long was it till batter died ? im having the same problem

buderfly25

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting this. I have been trying to resolve this issue for a few hours and this is the first post I have seen with the particular issue of a black screen that is still lit. I am going to drain my battery and check to see what results I get. I bought my phone used so I am not sure if it was jail broken at one time. I use it with AT&T but I can tell it has had some alterations done because for example the serial number on the sim card tray does not match the number registered to the phone (weird right?) Will update soon.

buderfly25

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe it was that simple! Once the screen was no longer lit I plugged it in and it showed a charging icon. Restored the phone and recovered my last backup.I was about ready to send my phone into apple for big bucks to get it fixed or replaced because I don't have an apple store by me. Saved me from such a headache! Thank you!