Pardon the noob question, but long story short I recently got my phone replaced and it was already running 5.0.1 so I had no choice but to do a tethered jb (non jb phone just blows, even with new notification system).

anyways, my question is, since now i have to put the phone into the dfu mode and reboot through redsnow, what do i do if for some reason i actually run out of the battery and my phone shuts down?

do i plug it into the wall and have the battery charge without it turning on, and then do the put in the fdu mode procedure? will this work? what will happen when the phone turns on on it's own? will it automatically brick or can i put it into the fdu mode and re-boot with redsnow?

kinda freaked out about this tethered jb now.
    11-21-2011 10:23 AM
    Pardon the noob question, but long story short I recently got my phone replaced and it was already running 5.0.1 so I had no choice but to do a tethered jb (non jb phone just blows, even with new notification system).

anyways, my question is, since now i have to put the phone into the dfu mode and reboot through redsnow, what do i do if for some reason i actually run out of the battery and my phone shuts down?

do i plug it into the wall and have the battery charge without it turning on, and then do the put in the fdu mode procedure? will this work? what will happen when the phone turns on on it's own? will it automatically brick or can i put it into the fdu mode and re-boot with redsnow?

I believe there is a semi tethered version out now where you can reboot without the computer. I'm not jailbroken right now, so I'm not 100% sure on how it works.
    11-21-2011 10:53 AM

Even if it turns on when you plug it in, it doesn't really "brick," it just won't boot. In that case you simply do the tethered boot by plugging into your computer and running redsn0w; when it gets to the part about powering down your phone you can just do a restart (holding home and power buttons) and get into DFU from there before it has a chance to get stuck at the Apple logo. Timing is key but it's not hard once you're used to it; it might just take a couple of tries the first time.

Of course, you could also install SemiTether from Cydia, which will let the phone boot up even if jailbroken. It just won't let you use any of your jb apps/tweaks until you do a regular tethered boot, but at least this way you can power down the normal way if you're really worried about that.
    11-21-2011 12:34 PM
    Even if it turns on when you plug it in, it doesn't really "brick," it just won't boot. In that case you simply do the tethered boot by plugging into your computer and running redsn0w; when it gets to the part about powering down your phone you can just do a restart (holding home and power buttons) and get into DFU from there before it has a chance to get stuck at the Apple logo. Timing is key but it's not hard once you're used to it; it might just take a couple of tries the first time.

Of course, you could also install SemiTether from Cydia, which will let the phone boot up even if jailbroken. It just won't let you use any of your jb apps/tweaks until you do a regular tethered boot, but at least this way you can power down the normal way if you're really worried about that.
    hmm, thanks for your advice... my fear is putting it to the DFU mode before something bad happens. to expand on that, you're saying i have to put it into DFU mode before the apple logo comes, what happens if I miss that window? Is the phone bricked then? I can I turn it off and turn it on again and try for the DFU mode? Could I put it into DFU mode right from the apple logo?
    11-21-2011 04:01 PM
    Could I put it into DFU mode right from the apple logo?
    Yes, you can.
    11-21-2011 04:49 PM
    The semi-tether works fairly well. I've not had to rely upon it as I just jail broke yesterday, but I did reboot my phone and verified that I could access native apps, could access atomic browser, could send/get text messages, and could make phone calls.
    11-22-2011 04:30 PM
    Question. I am on ios5 jb with beta8 I think they are up to beta11 now. Do I download every new beta and rerun the jb?? Or do I just download and reboot?? Does it even matter?? Thanks for the help.
    11-27-2011 01:09 AM
    It doesn't really matter from what I gather ... If you dont turn your phone off it's not gonna make a difference
    11-28-2011 01:27 AM
    Question. I am on ios5 jb with beta8 I think they are up to beta11 now. Do I download every new beta and rerun the jb?? Or do I just download and reboot?? Does it even matter?? Thanks for the help.
    There's no need to rejailbreak. Stick with what you have (and what works).
    11-28-2011 02:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD