"Unrecognized build" message when trying to tethered reboot after JB with redsn0w??

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Unable to tether reboot after JB iP4 at 5.0.1 - help?

I followed these directions to the letter:

Jailbreak 5.0.1 iOS Semi Untethered iPhone, iPad, iPod touch With Redsn0w/SemiTether | Redmond Pie

Which were exactly the same as these directions:

Jailbreak 5.0.1 iOS Semi Untethered iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G With Redsn0w 0.9.9b8

I'm using redsn0w 0.9.9b8

To be clear, I updated to 5.0.1 on my iPhone through iTunes. I setup the phone as new and have not done anything other than go through the preliminary Apple required iOS5 setup stages of the device. I then performed the JB using redsn0w while selecting the 5.0 (NOT 5.0.1) IPSW as per both directions.

After the JB, I shut off the device and attempted to perform the "Just Boot" direction in redsn0w (basically a DFU boot)... during the process it says "exploiting with limerain..." again and then trying to verify the build and I then get the message about "Unrecognized build". Cydia remains a white icon that will not launch. I've tried this three times with the same results. Screenshot attached from redsn0w.

I would VERY MUCH appreciate any feedback. Not reassuring to follow 2 identical sets of directions using the most uptodate version of redsn0w and get these results... but I'm hoping this is operator error as many others seem to be doing this just find.

Thanks very much for any assist!

Last edited:
Reactions: maxwellsteel

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I faced the same question as you.
And I finally got the answer. Now I can JB my iphone4.
The key point is that before you click "Just boot" to tethered your iphone., you need to click "Select IPSW" again and specify to ios 5.0 IPSW again. After that, you can success JB your iphone.
Good luck!

That did it, thanks!!! It's kinda weird that in all the jailbreak instructions out there, that point about selecting the IPSW (which is now the second time you do this... first time is the JB itself, second time is before you "Just Boot") is never mentioned (at least not in what I'm reading). The only place anyone finds this info is in the discussions where there are confused people asking why they are getting this error message (I also saw this answer on another site) and someone finally indicates you have to re-select IPSW to make the "Just Boot" work. Strange it is omitted everywhere from the instructions. Regardless, thanks!

Last edited:

marty_87

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey,

Having the same problem but when I go to select the 5.0 IPSW its not there and can only select 5.0.1??

Do I have to download just the 5.0 or is there an easier way??

Any help would be great!

Sorry to hijack :D

Cheers

Glbosko53

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes if your 5.0.1 you will need to download 5.0.0 and use that in redsn0w in order to jailbreak and boot tethered.

Idownloadblog had a good video on how to jailbreak 5.0.1. It's worth looking into on their site for more information on jailbreaking to get familiar with it and everything that can/will go wrong.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
This is weird...do you all need to select the ipsw EVERY time you boot, or just that first time? I ask because I use redsn0w to do tethered boots fairly often and I never need to select my ipsw.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey massie, I never selected my builds either and I seemed to have alot of resprings... This last time I selected my ispw when booting tethered and things seemed to be smoother... Just FYI...

ttmb33

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Apple Logo hang on after reboot

I faced the same question as you.
And I finally got the answer. Now I can JB my iphone4.
The key point is that before you click "Just boot" to tethered your iphone., you need to click "Select IPSW" again and specify to ios 5.0 IPSW again. After that, you can success JB your iphone.
Good luck!

I followed every steps as your direction, and I got jailbreak. After installing Ultrasn0w file to unlock the the phone, the phone got stucked after rebooting with Apple Logo hangon.

My iphone is 3gs , IOS version 5.0.1

One more thing, I received a message: "Could not activate cellular data network"

If anyone know how to solve the issue, please give me your advice.

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

caswellsam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
You can get the phone out of the apple logo stick by putting it into DFU mode and justboot ing again. It is possible to do it it's just a little temperamental sometimes. Took me about half hr when mine stuck a few weeks back

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2