How's semi-tethered redsn0w working for everyone?

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just loaded it up and put on a few cydia tweaks and everything seems to be running good so far. Has anyone had any random reboots or any problems?

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm going back to official os. Cydia is still missing a lot of the best apps for JB, and this semi-tether wasn't too reliable for me. 2 random reboots in a few hours with only a couple jb apps installed.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm going back to official os. Cydia is still missing a lot of the best apps for JB, and this semi-tether wasn't too reliable for me. 2 random reboots in a few hours with only a couple jb apps installed.

What did you have installed?

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Also, lockinfo, intelliscreenx, and bitesms (full version) aren't out yet for ios5 jb. So that's another reason it's just not worth the hassle for me right now. Maybe on an iPad or iPod, but not on my iPhone.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If it was CameraLocker, I used to have that and it gave me random reboots. Got rid of it and haven't had trouble since.

Yeah, it was cameralocker. But without lockinfo, intelliscreenx, or bitesms I'll just wait. It's more about the lack of good apps being available than the jailbreak being unreliable.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Been working great for me, not one random re-boot in the week I've been running it, I've been careful to only install tweaks and themes that are iOS5 compatible as you can check here >https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tcolid=-1&sortasc=true&page=2&rowsperpage=250. The beta version of Bite for iOS 5 works great so far, no issue's.

Those having problem's have either done something wrong or are installing tweaks that aren't updated for iOS5 yet. Running the semi-tether is sooo worth it, I actually forgot about the un-tethered JB over the weekend since it's been so reliable, not to mention how much faster my iPhone 4 is at everything which I wasn't expecting.

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I finally installed the semitether package last night. It adds a little peace of mind. No issues so far.

sheaforgety22

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The only problem I had was that when iOS 5 was released a month ago I upgraded and used APTbackup and it installed a bunch of stuff that wasn't yet compatible. My phone kept going into safe mode. It was my own fault for not thinking about it and only installing things that were iOS 5 compatible. Since then I have had no problems. It has really made me get over my fear of using a tethered jailbreak, something I had avoided vehemently in the past. Booting tethered with Redsn0w takes literally a minute, after installing cydia and all the related packages you aren't going to have to boot tethered much if at all after that depending on what apps you install. I've got the semi tether package installed but I haven't used it yet and really don't plan on it.

On a side note I've also got an iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom so I've been using it the last couple weeks and it has been rock solid. I haven't experienced any of the sluggishness that others are reporting. Kinda makes me long for the days when jailbreaks and unlocks seemed to come immediately after every firmware upgrade. Apple is making the whole jailbreak scene die a slow death it seems, the delay between when a new firmware is released followed by a jailbreak seems to be growing exponentially.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Been working great for me, not one random re-boot in the week I've been running it, I've been careful to only install tweaks and themes that are iOS5 compatible as you can check here >https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tcolid=-1&sortasc=true&page=2&rowsperpage=250. The beta version of Bite for iOS 5 works great so far, no issue's.

Those having problem's have either done something wrong or are installing tweaks that aren't updated for iOS5 yet. Running the semi-tether is sooo worth it, I actually forgot about the un-tethered JB over the weekend since it's been so reliable, not to mention how much faster my iPhone 4 is at everything which I wasn't expecting.

when i had semi-tether installed, when it first came out, my device ran smooth, no issues there. the problem was when i rebooted it never worked as advertised. i have minimal JB apps/tweaks. are you saying you have put it to the test as well? i'd be curious to see if it has improved with their updates

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
when i had semi-tether installed, when it first came out, my device ran smooth, no issues there. the problem was when i rebooted it never worked as advertised. i have minimal JB apps/tweaks. are you saying you have put it to the test as well? i'd be curious to see if it has improved with their updates

When did you have it installed?? I just updated to 5.0 a week ago and semi-tether was already on the 4th update which fixed many many bugs from the first release. I have had no problems yet, on the 8th day on the the semi-tether!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
When did you have it installed?? I just updated to 5.0 a week ago and semi-tether was already on the 4th update which fixed many many bugs from the first release. I have had no problems yet, on the 8th day on the the semi-tether!

i installed it the day it was released and removed it before the first update. but i am curious, have you seen it in action? have you rebooted on purpose and it work like advertised?

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
i installed it the day it was released and removed it before the first update. but i am curious, have you seen it in action? have you rebooted on purpose and it work like advertised?

After multiple reboots, it has worked as advertised every time. No random reboots or other problems to report.

Sent from my HP Pavilion dv7 using Tapatalk

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site

I've tried it out and it works fine, I've only had to do the re-boot from my computer twice due to me letting the battery die. You just plug it in, run redsnow, and it works fine again. Couldn't be easier.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the info guys. i went ahead and installed it. i am going to drink the semi-tethered kool aid :)

is anyone using the Patch Safari feature?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice