i have jb/unlocked iphone 3GS, running 3.0.
    I desperately need to update it with a newer version os so that my apps will run and sms will work. (not to mention my camera just stopped saving pictures when you take them and it's just generally laggy and acting weird.)

here's the problem... cydia crashes each time i launch it.
    i have tried tiny umbrella, but i get the 'apple not signing' error message, so it will not save my shsh blobs.
    I have been able to back everything up to itunes, so at this point, i don't care if i lose everything and need to start over completely.

what are my options?

If i do a factory restore, it will update to 5.0, correct? and the only jailbreak for 5.0 is tethered.. is there an unlock for 5 yet? (i'm with tmobile, so i must have an unlock) At this point, i'm thinking a tethered jb wouldn't be the worst thing. will a tethered 5.0 jb/unlock even work on my iphone?

any other ideas/suggestions?
    11-04-2011 03:09 PM
    i have jb/unlocked iphone 3GS, running 3.0.
    I desperately need to update it with a newer version os so that my apps will run and sms will work. (not to mention my camera just stopped saving pictures when you take them and it's just generally laggy and acting weird.)

here's the problem... cydia crashes each time i launch it.
    i have tried tiny umbrella, but i get the 'apple not signing' error message, so it will not save my shsh blobs.
    I have been able to back everything up to itunes, so at this point, i don't care if i lose everything and need to start over completely.

what are my options?

If i do a factory restore, it will update to 5.0, correct? and the only jailbreak for 5.0 is tethered.. is there an unlock for 5 yet? (i'm with tmobile, so i must have an unlock) At this point, i'm thinking a tethered jb wouldn't be the worst thing. will a tethered 5.0 jb/unlock even work on my iphone?

any other ideas/suggestions?
    I'm not sure about an unlock, as I'm on Verizon, and never had to do that before, but yes there is a tethered J/B for IOS5, and there is a way to make it partially untethered. Before I got the 4S, I had my 4 J/B on IOS5, and I liked it a lot. As long as you can still unlock, which I believe you can, go for the IOS5 tethered. It's night and day from older OS's.
    idesignerchic likes this.
    11-04-2011 03:13 PM
    thanks for your response.
    do you know of a link for tethered instructions?
    i'll see if i can find info on an unlock for 5.
    11-04-2011 03:51 PM
    From what I know, there is no unlock for 5.0 yet.

Cydia should have shsh blobs saved, but if TinyUmbrella is not able to retrieve them, then you have a bit of an issue.

Is your 3GS on the old bootrom or the new bootrom?

If it's the old bootrom, I think that it can be unlocked (and untethered) no matter what. You'd have to google how to determine the bootrom.
    11-04-2011 05:06 PM
    it's the old. (didn't get lucky with that one.)

i read that i can unlock with Ultrasn0w, but i have to (somehow) preserve my bb.
    11-04-2011 05:31 PM
    create a custom IPSW and upgrade to os5.
    use ultrasnow to unlock.
    u will be semi tethered at best.. unless u have the shsh for 4.3.3
    11-05-2011 12:35 AM
    unlock and Jailbreak are two seperate things, so you can unlock as long as the method you use to go to iOS 5 doesn't upgrade your baseband. So lookup Redsn0w, go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look up Redsn0w method to make a custom ipsw.
    11-05-2011 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD