Semi - Tethered jailbreak released redsn0w and bigboss combined

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Just saw this on redsn0w's website......

Ground-breaking news everyone. We have a ?Semitethered jailbreak for iOS 5. YES, we are out of the ?tethered?cage. A few minutes ago BigBoss released Semitedthered jailbreak for iOS 5 which allows you to reboot your device while you are away from your computer. That`s without a doubt a life saver.

To Semitether your device:
Step 1: Tether Jailbreak your iOS 5 device with RedSn0w (Complete download and guide HERE)
Step 2: Add http: //thebigboss.org/semitether to your Cydia sources.

It`s a great help and a major advancement, but it still has caveats:

According to the BigBoss:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to ?boot tethered?.
Despite the limitations, it`s still great news for everyone.

Thought many of you hating or scared of a tethered jailbreak would love this.

Josh

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty excited to see that earlier, but early reports are that it's still pretty buggy, messing with people's settings and so on?still, a major leap forward! I may install it bugs and all.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I just sold my iphone 4s for a trade on a iphone 4 and $250 just jailbroke it. Should I add the repo or stay away from it for right now

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Eh, I say go for it while you're still freshly jailbroken. If the worst happens and you have to restore, better to do it now before you have a million things installed.

Let me know how well it works if you end up using it!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
as of early this morning the semitether was still in the working out some bugs with mobile substrate stages (try at your own risk) i tried it earlier today and it did not work "as advertised".. so here i am stock again wondering if i even want to mess with tethered anymore.

however, i know once IntelliScreenX is out i'm going to be freaking out!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to ?boot tethered?.

i'm confused about this part. are they saying to not add sbsettings to the NC or at all to the device?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
i'm confused about this part. are they saying to not add sbsettings to the NC or at all to the device?

I was confused about that too...to me it sounds like "if you installed SBSettings while jailbroken, don't try to add it to the NC while semi-tethered". I think it just sounds weird because we're not used to thinking of adding jb tweaks to anything while not fully jailbroken.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen