I have a GSM AT&T IPhone 4 that runs on iOS5 that want to unlock to run on TMobile.

1) do I need to jailbreak in order to unlock ?

2) Are there certain iOS5 versions ot any other attributes, such as firmware versions, etc that cannot be unlocked at the moment?

3) What is the procedure to get my phone up and ready to run on Tmobile?

4) Where does Baseband come into play- does each phone have a unique baseband, or baseband is the same for all devices locked onto a certain carrier?

Thanks!
    10-18-2011 09:41 AM
    The only way is with a Gevey Sim, but I'm not sure if by updating to iOS 5 you updated the baseband to one that is not unlockable at this time.

To my knowledge: MMS messages have an issue (though this may be resolved), and 3G will not work (nothing you can do about this, the 3G band is different for T-Mobile)

Baseband is also referred to as "Modem Firmware" in your Settings app. Certain ones are unlockable, others are not. Once you update, there is no way (that I know of) to go back. Unlockers are always cautioned about updating software and especially baseband before an unlock is available.
    Stromie likes this.
    10-18-2011 09:53 AM
    I bought my iphone used with prev owner upgrading to ios5 and have no idea what they did to baseband.
    10-18-2011 10:09 AM
    The user didn't do anything.. the actual act of upgrading to iOS 5 is what changed / updated your Baseband

Once its updated, there is no way to downgrade it - it's a system level modification and would require a low level exploit, ones that actually rely on hardware faults, not software holes like the 4.3.3 PDF exploit..
    10-18-2011 10:14 AM
    You know, I've had high rates of success with using my local Craigslist, posting that I have a locked to <carrier> iPhone 4, and want either a factory unlocked or locked to <carrier> iPhone 4.

For factory unlocked (bought directly from Apple store), you usually have to pay a bit of money on top, but carrier locked swaps I've never paid for.. chances are they're in the same boat you are and are happy to switch, assuming that the carrier they're on has an iPhone available..
    10-18-2011 10:17 AM
    You know, I've had high rates of success with using my local Craigslist, posting that I have a locked to <carrier> iPhone 4, and want either a factory unlocked or locked to <carrier> iPhone 4.

For factory unlocked (bought directly from Apple store), you usually have to pay a bit of money on top, but carrier locked swaps I've never paid for.. chances are they're in the same boat you are and are happy to switch, assuming that the carrier they're on has an iPhone available..

does this mean that if my Iphone 4 on iOS5 turns out to be right now in a certain baseband X, then it cannot be unlocked? Can it be downgraded back to iOS 4?
    10-18-2011 10:26 AM
    Settings > General > About - look for modem firmware.. if it's anything BUT 01.59.00, then you can not unlock it without hardware modifications like the geevey SIM, which is unstable and not recommended.

You can downgrade iOS back to 4.33, but your Baseband will remain the same, as it's a permanent change. Back in the day when iPhone 2 and iPhone Software 2.0 was king, there was a program called Fuzzband, but that no longer works on newer devices, or devices with iPhone Software 3.0 and up.
    10-18-2011 10:30 AM
    Settings > General > About - look for modem firmware.. if it's anything BUT 01.59.00, then you can not unlock it without hardware modifications like the geevey SIM, which is unstable and not recommended.

You can downgrade iOS back to 4.33, but your Baseband will remain the same, as it's a permanent change. Back in the day when iPhone 2 and iPhone Software 2.0 was king, there was a program called Fuzzband, but that no longer works on newer devices, or devices with iPhone Software 3.0 and up.

Thanks for putting this into perspective
    10-18-2011 10:38 AM
    Thanks for putting this into perspective
    Eventually you'll get that Newbie title out of your name and you'll be able to help others
    Stromie likes this.
    10-18-2011 10:49 AM
    Eventually you'll get that Newbie title out of your name and you'll be able to help others
    i already figured out how to create applie id without use of credit card, and posted this here.

now very anxious on going back home and checking out the firmware versions on the 2 iphones i bought yesterday for my wife and I....if its not the ...59.00 i think i'm screwed with my purchase...very upset over this
    10-18-2011 11:00 AM
    i already figured out how to create applie id without use of credit card, and posted this here.

now very anxious on going back home and checking out the firmware versions on the 2 iphones i bought yesterday for my wife and I....if its not the ...59.00 i think i'm screwed with my purchase...very upset over this
    ok just verified my firmware version is 04.11.08... what are my options...
    10-18-2011 04:36 PM
    Nothing. There are no options for you to unlock at this moment.
    10-18-2011 06:40 PM
    ok just verified my firmware version is 04.11.08... what are my options...
    AT&T is your only option. Or try to swap with someone who wants an AT&T iphone.
    10-18-2011 07:03 PM
    AT&T is your only option. Or try to swap with someone who wants an AT&T iphone.
    Can factory defaul settings be restored, including firmware?
    10-18-2011 08:25 PM
    Nope, it'll still be on iOS5, and the same BB.

Accept it, it's perma until someone develops a way to unlock it.
    We feel for you.

Since you said you bought it 2nd hand, perhaps you can resell it, and get a new one which is already unlocked.
    Last edited by Snownation; 10-18-2011 at 08:41 PM.
    10-18-2011 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD