I tried to stick it out for a bit with a stock iOS 5, but after several years of jailbreaking, I just couldn't do it. Instead, I'm using the tethered redsn0w jb. This was a great update for Apple, but it just didn't go far enough in terms of flexibility. And so far, so good: most of my usual jb apps are up and running (BiteSMS, Activator, SBSettings, Five Icon Dock, FakeClockUp) and I was still able to do a bit of native theme work via iPhoneBrowser (mainly to replace the default Bite icons).

The two things still missing are Lockinfo (which I really miss whenever I want to dismiss lock screen notifications) and Winterboard (which I really miss whenever I look at my plain-Jane lock screen)--I've read about issues with both that make me not want to install them on a tethered jb in case of a crash. I suspect they'll be stable again soon, though. In the meantime, it's great to be back! Anyone else out there jb'ed on iOS 5? And if so: please post suggestions, tips and tricks, warnings, and so on. The early days of a release are always the buggiest, so any first-hand info is really appreciated.
    tourstagefan and Tallika_fan like this.
    10-15-2011 01:36 AM
    I've only had iOS5 running for about 12 hours and I already miss so much of the customization that is only available through JB!

Lockinfo is light years better than Apple's notification system. Also miss iRealSMS, SB Settings, Winterboard, 5-icon dock, fake carrier logo, the list goes on and on.

Going to TRY and hold out until the untethered version is released....
    10-15-2011 01:57 AM
    Ha, sorry I helped you out so much in getting to iOS 5! Hope you don't feel betrayed...I just couldn't stay away from all the extra features...
    10-15-2011 01:59 AM
    I too am on a tethered JB. I miss LockInfo at this point but I'm just going to wait for the untethered JB to install it. BiteSMS for iOS5 is a good update.
    10-15-2011 02:35 AM
    Massie, is MobileSubstrate iOS 5 ready? this was/is the one thing keeping me from jailbreaking. being tethered is not an issue for me at all..
    10-15-2011 03:20 AM
    well, i finally did it. currently i have Activator, biteSMS, iFile, SBsettings, MyWi, ScreenDimmer and FullScreen for Safari (yay!)

all seems to be going smooth & well. weird being jailbroken again... now if i can just find a decent Pandora hack
    10-15-2011 05:50 AM
    added FakeClockUp. Action Menu and Barrel working well

re: biteSMS; it appears that quick list is not in the beta version? i believe that's what it is called, when you can tap the statusbar icon that shows the number of SMS messages and brings up a list...
    10-15-2011 08:55 AM
    Hmmm...I remember something about it getting integrated into notification center, but that wouldn't make sense for the lockscreen. I'll look around.

Another new Bite feature: you can have it use the Apple icon instead of the Bite one.
    10-15-2011 10:13 AM
    So here is what I've found: it seems like there isn't an option to show nothing (like there used to be). Now unread SMS get put into your lock screen notifications. Example:

Messages come in; sliding icon will open Quick Reply

If not acted on, they go into the notification area when screen locks:

They also show up in the drop-down Notification Center once unlocked.
    10-15-2011 10:32 AM
    go to settings/notifications/messages

scroll down to "view in lock screen" and select off.

hope this helps, cody
    10-15-2011 04:01 PM
    go to settings/notifications/messages

scroll down to "view in lock screen" and select off.

hope this helps, cody
    Are you talking about the Bite Quick List question? The problem is that we used to be able to tap the status bar balloon to pull up a hidden list of unread SMS...can't do that anymore regardless of whether or not we hide the lockscreen alerts.
    10-15-2011 06:23 PM
    i really like how if/when you clear SMS messages from the NC it also marks them read within the biteSMS app, which in turn removes the badge
    10-15-2011 06:58 PM
    Massie - would you happen to know the path to the custom tones that would have been downloaded through iTunes?
    10-15-2011 08:29 PM
    I saw mention of a site to JB iOS 5 in seconds and I was tempted but looks like I'll be sticking on iOS 4.3.5 for another week.
    10-16-2011 03:37 PM
    Massie - would you happen to know the path to the custom tones that would have been downloaded through iTunes?
    Sorry, I've been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to look into the file system much yet. Have you looked wherever download ringtones have always been? Or better: can't they just be synced via iTunes? Then they'd be in Library/Ringtones (I think).
    10-17-2011 05:37 PM
    I just got the 4s 2 days ago and would like to jailbreak it. Don't care if it's tether.
    10-17-2011 08:00 PM
    I just got the 4s 2 days ago and would like to jailbreak it. Don't care if it's tether.
    as far as i know there, currently, is NO jailbreak for the 4S
    10-17-2011 08:09 PM
    Sorry, I've been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to look into the file system much yet. Have you looked wherever download ringtones have always been? Or better: can't they just be synced via iTunes? Then they'd be in Library/Ringtones (I think).
    eh, it's cool. after a couple of respring issues today, which were easily fixed with a tethered boot, i decided to go back to iOS 5 (stock) until the untethered is available. i just do not have the patience like i used to lol
    10-17-2011 08:11 PM
    eh, it's cool. after a couple of respring issues today, which were easily fixed with a tethered boot, i decided to go back to iOS 5 (stock) until the untethered is available. i just do not have the patience like i used to lol
    I too went back to a stock phone. I had to reboot my phone and it would not go into DFU mode for the tethered reboot and I just said forget it and i'll wait! Too bad too since I love BiteSMS and some other jailbreak apps that I just dont like being without!
    10-18-2011 06:31 AM
    You know, the only thing I'm missing a lot in iOS 5 with no JB, is the activator tweak to change songs with the "hold volume button up" and "hold volume button down".

If I could do that, I'll not jailbreak, as that's the only thing missing from my phone right now.
    10-18-2011 08:51 AM
    You know, the only thing I'm missing a lot in iOS 5 with no JB, is the activator tweak to change songs with the "hold volume button up" and "hold volume button down".

If I could do that, I'll not jailbreak, as that's the only thing missing from my phone right now.
    for me the only thing missing is a Brightness control slider in the multitasking bar (to the left of the music controls and rotation lock on the iPhone).

Honestly, the iPhone HAS physical volume control buttons. Why on earth is there a software slider buried in the multitasking bar? a brightness slider makes so much more sense there.
    10-18-2011 01:09 PM
    ..well that wasn't long. i am jailbroken again, yes i have a problem
    10-18-2011 03:40 PM
    ..well that wasn't long. i am jailbroken again, yes i have a problem
    lol you and me both, I decided to go to iOS 5 and JB since Winterboard will work soon. My damn JB wouldn't take I might try it from home tonight.
    10-18-2011 07:33 PM
    Hey guys got a quick question. I finally did the tethered jailbreak today myself, My only question is, when you download things from cydia alot of them require a reboot. So do these install and after you boot tethered again that app will be there?
    10-19-2011 11:24 AM
    Hey guys got a quick question. I finally did the tethered jailbreak today myself, My only question is, when you download things from cydia alot of them require a reboot. So do these install and after you boot tethered again that app will be there?
    correct, the app or tweak will be there. keep in mind not many apps/tweaks will require a reboot like before

one thing to consider, while loading new apps/tweaks, there is a Que feature within Cydia which will allow you to put them there and then load ALL when you're ready. the Queuing feature will be available right after you select Install of the tweak or app desired

what i typically do is Que everything i need and then do a tethered reboot after its done, EVEN if it does not require one. this way i know there should not be any issues that may arise
    aaron130 likes this.
    10-19-2011 12:19 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD