Aaaaaand, I'm jailbroken again.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I tried to stick it out for a bit with a stock iOS 5, but after several years of jailbreaking, I just couldn't do it. Instead, I'm using the tethered redsn0w jb. This was a great update for Apple, but it just didn't go far enough in terms of flexibility. And so far, so good: most of my usual jb apps are up and running (BiteSMS, Activator, SBSettings, Five Icon Dock, FakeClockUp) and I was still able to do a bit of native theme work via iPhoneBrowser (mainly to replace the default Bite icons).

The two things still missing are Lockinfo (which I really miss whenever I want to dismiss lock screen notifications) and Winterboard (which I really miss whenever I look at my plain-Jane lock screen)--I've read about issues with both that make me not want to install them on a tethered jb in case of a crash. I suspect they'll be stable again soon, though. In the meantime, it's great to be back! Anyone else out there jb'ed on iOS 5? And if so: please post suggestions, tips and tricks, warnings, and so on. The early days of a release are always the buggiest, so any first-hand info is really appreciated.

Reactions: tourstagefan

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've only had iOS5 running for about 12 hours and I already miss so much of the customization that is only available through JB!

Lockinfo is light years better than Apple's notification system. Also miss iRealSMS, SB Settings, Winterboard, 5-icon dock, fake carrier logo, the list goes on and on.

Going to TRY and hold out until the untethered version is released.... :(

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ha, sorry I helped you out so much in getting to iOS 5! Hope you don't feel betrayed...I just couldn't stay away from all the extra features...

LqDFx

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I too am on a tethered JB. I miss LockInfo at this point but I'm just going to wait for the untethered JB to install it. BiteSMS for iOS5 is a good update.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Massie, is MobileSubstrate iOS 5 ready? this was/is the one thing keeping me from jailbreaking. being tethered is not an issue for me at all..

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
well, i finally did it. currently i have Activator, biteSMS, iFile, SBsettings, MyWi, ScreenDimmer and FullScreen for Safari (yay!)

all seems to be going smooth & well. weird being jailbroken again... now if i can just find a decent Pandora hack

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
added FakeClockUp. Action Menu and Barrel working well

re: biteSMS; it appears that quick list is not in the beta version? i believe that's what it is called, when you can tap the statusbar icon that shows the number of SMS messages and brings up a list...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...I remember something about it getting integrated into notification center, but that wouldn't make sense for the lockscreen. I'll look around.

Another new Bite feature: you can have it use the Apple icon instead of the Bite one.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
So here is what I've found: it seems like there isn't an option to show nothing (like there used to be). Now unread SMS get put into your lock screen notifications. Example:

Messages come in; sliding icon will open Quick Reply
kGGEN.jpg

If not acted on, they go into the notification area when screen locks:
MoaOE.jpg

They also show up in the drop-down Notification Center once unlocked.

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
go to settings/notifications/messages

scroll down to "view in lock screen" and select off.

hope this helps, cody

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
go to settings/notifications/messages

scroll down to "view in lock screen" and select off.

hope this helps, cody

Are you talking about the Bite Quick List question? The problem is that we used to be able to tap the status bar balloon to pull up a hidden list of unread SMS...can't do that anymore regardless of whether or not we hide the lockscreen alerts.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
biteSMS 6.0.8

i really like how if/when you clear SMS messages from the NC it also marks them read within the biteSMS app, which in turn removes the badge

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Massie - would you happen to know the path to the custom tones that would have been downloaded through iTunes?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I saw mention of a site to JB iOS 5 in seconds and I was tempted but looks like I'll be sticking on iOS 4.3.5 for another week.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Massie - would you happen to know the path to the custom tones that would have been downloaded through iTunes?

Sorry, I've been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to look into the file system much yet. Have you looked wherever download ringtones have always been? Or better: can't they just be synced via iTunes? Then they'd be in Library/Ringtones (I think).

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I've been crazy busy and haven't had a chance to look into the file system much yet. Have you looked wherever download ringtones have always been? Or better: can't they just be synced via iTunes? Then they'd be in Library/Ringtones (I think).

eh, it's cool. after a couple of respring issues today, which were easily fixed with a tethered boot, i decided to go back to iOS 5 (stock) until the untethered is available. i just do not have the patience like i used to lol

LqDFx

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
eh, it's cool. after a couple of respring issues today, which were easily fixed with a tethered boot, i decided to go back to iOS 5 (stock) until the untethered is available. i just do not have the patience like i used to lol

I too went back to a stock phone. I had to reboot my phone and it would not go into DFU mode for the tethered reboot and I just said forget it and i'll wait! Too bad too since I love BiteSMS and some other jailbreak apps that I just dont like being without!

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
You know, the only thing I'm missing a lot in iOS 5 with no JB, is the activator tweak to change songs with the "hold volume button up" and "hold volume button down".

If I could do that, I'll not jailbreak, as that's the only thing missing from my phone right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh