I hope they get out the untethered JB soon. I want to go to iOS 5 but don't want stock or tether. I'm not into having my phone dependent on a pc on a power up so I'll wait and stick with 4.2.8 for now.
    10-16-2011 07:26 PM
    I couldn't stand stock anymore, I'm jailbreaking tethered.
    10-16-2011 11:38 PM
    I decided to upgrade to iOS5 and wow do I miss my jb, amazing how SBSettings is my primary reason. Seriously looking at tethered now.
    10-17-2011 01:13 AM
    I say go for it...tethered isn't a huge deal unless you're constantly downloading stuff on the go and/or installing unstable apps. Avoid those and do your Cydia downloads at home and you'll be fine.
    10-17-2011 01:40 AM
    i need to reboot quite often.. once in 2 days.. and always when im travelling. i go in and out of signal all the time. so sometimes the EDGE/3g gets stuck or doesnt work till a full restart. cycling the airplane mode doesnt help. so for me tethered is not an option.. been using stock for 3 days no.. so far so good..
    no withdrawal symptoms yet!!
    10-19-2011 11:44 AM
    not a peep from the dev-team about the untethered.. tsk!

it was a good run.. looks like the cat won!
    10-20-2011 11:13 PM
    haha well i definitely would not say the Cat won but it seems to have been slow goings with the jailbreak scene

thanks to upcoming delta updates, my new anxiety will soon consist of me wanting to update but cannot due to the JB. this is where i feel the Dev Team will have their hands full and ultimately leave a lot of jailbreakers not up to date with the latest firmware/bug fixes. i'd be curious if it's possible for Apple to patch the current/ latest exploits used to jailbreak with these delta updates
    10-21-2011 01:34 AM
    Anyone try the untethered jb on dev team?
    10-21-2011 10:19 AM
    Anyone try the untethered jb on dev team?
    link? also, any legitimate release would be all over the reputable sites AND i am following all the respectable Devs on Twitter. i have not seen anything about an Untethered, yet
    Meldiane likes this.
    10-21-2011 10:25 AM
    For some reason I have a bad feeling about the untethered jailbreak not being able to be done on ios5 as well. That would truly suck if we were unable from here on out to not jailbreak our phones with untethered...
    10-21-2011 10:29 AM
    I hope they come out with a 4s untethered, I miss being jailbroken on my old 4.
    10-21-2011 11:53 AM
    yeah I am kinda worried.. I mean all this time they kept jailbreaking each beta as soon as it released, I was really hoping we would see an untethered the weekend after release..
    10-23-2011 01:37 PM
    Well first of all there is now a semi-tethered JB thru Big Boss. I didn't keep the link but check redmondpie.com sure it's on there. So if your phone crashes or loses power the semi-tethered allows you to use iPhone.app, SMS, etc. The untethered is already ready but they were holding on to it so Apple doesn't fix it when they release it that is last I heard. Anyway this is not the first time I've heard people doubt the JB and each time it makes me wonder why everyone is always so quick to think that devs who make good money would just walk away like it was a flash in the pan. It has also been proven by Apple ripping off the ideas that it of some use to Apple. Anyone remember how longthe iPad 2 JB took? and yet now that we have it that all gets forgotten.
    10-23-2011 06:28 PM
    im going to wait for the untethered... the semi tethered seems to have alot of short falls.its a good solution to those who are already jailbroken!

regarding untethered being ready.. i highly doubt it! if it was ready it would be out..
    waiting for 5.1? then 5.2? then 5.3? makes no sense to wait.. all rumors in my opinion. just like the 2.10 unlock.that some people are still waiting for. dev team said after 4.3..it never happened!
    10-23-2011 06:35 PM
    The untethered is already ready but they were holding on to it so Apple doesn't fix it when they release it that is last I heard. Anyway this is not the first time I've heard people doubt the JB and each time it makes me wonder why everyone is always so quick to think that devs who make good money would just walk away like it was a flash in the pan. It has also been proven by Apple ripping off the ideas that it of some use to Apple. Anyone remember how longthe iPad 2 JB took? and yet now that we have it that all gets forgotten.
    How do you know about the untethered status? Not doubting you, just curious.

Also, say Apple releases 5.2 (or whatever the newest ios5 will be), and then the dev team releases the JB, won't apple just fix it in 5.3? What's the logic behind waiting for the first update if apple would fix it in the following update anyways?

Anyways, I hope you're right, my 4s is full of untapped potential! Let's go Dev team!
    10-23-2011 07:17 PM
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but the coming jb is unlikely to work for either the 4S or the iPad 2. The work that's being done has mostly been on the older hardware (iPhone 4 and below).
    tourstagefan likes this.
    10-23-2011 07:24 PM
    iOS 5 is still pretty buggy if you haven't noticed.
    It make sense to release an untethered JB on the most stable build of iOS 5 anyway.
    10-23-2011 07:25 PM
    Don't want to burst your bubble, but the coming jb is unlikely to work for either the 4S or the iPad 2. The work that's being done has mostly been on the older hardware (iPhone 4 and below).
    Well, consider my bubble burst. This no jailbreak thing is quite frustrating. Has there been any work towards JBing the new hardware?

iOS 5 is still pretty buggy if you haven't noticed.
    It make sense to release an untethered JB on the most stable build of iOS 5 anyway.
    My phone hasn't been buggy at all, works perfectly. iTunes on the hand is a different story...
    10-23-2011 07:46 PM
    How do you know about the untethered status? Not doubting you, just curious.

Also, say Apple releases 5.2 (or whatever the newest ios5 will be), and then the dev team releases the JB, won't apple just fix it in 5.3? What's the logic behind waiting for the first update if apple would fix it in the following update anyways?

Anyways, I hope you're right, my 4s is full of untapped potential! Let's go Dev team!
    I don't have any inside info but I follow alot of the members of the Dev Team and a few other sites closely knit with the group. I remember when iOS 5 was still in beta they tweeted that an untether exploit was already there they just didn't want to release it until iOS 5 was out. The reason they would hold it back is because usually Apple comes out with a 0.1 upgrade soon after a major release so 5.01 and they don't want the exploit to be patched so early. They want to do it when the thing has legs so if they do it on 5.1 then atleast it's a pretty solid OS. I remember back in the 1.x days waiting for Pwnage Tool to have a JB from 1.x for like 3 or 4 versions of firmware.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    10-24-2011 09:41 AM
    I don't have any inside info but I follow alot of the members of the Dev Team and a few other sites closely knit with the group. I remember when iOS 5 was still in beta they tweeted that an untether exploit was already there they just didn't want to release it until iOS 5 was out. The reason they would hold it back is because usually Apple comes out with a 0.1 upgrade soon after a major release so 5.01 and they don't want the exploit to be patched so early. They want to do it when the thing has legs so if they do it on 5.1 then atleast it's a pretty solid OS. I remember back in the 1.x days waiting for Pwnage Tool to have a JB from 1.x for like 3 or 4 versions of firmware.
    Word.

Any clue/speculation regarding a JB of the 4s/new hardware? I realize it's only been a week or two since the 4s has been released? I don't understand how the hardware effects jailbreaking, but apparently it does.

PS, kinda off topic, but if I had a tweak, say biteSMS for example, could I download it on my computer, and then manually copy and paste it to the right place on my phone? Or must the phone be jailbroken for it to work?
    10-24-2011 10:28 AM
    The jb is hardware dependent in the sense that the iP4S and iPad2 use a different chip that isn't vulnerable to the same exploit used in older devices. I haven't heard anything about a new jailbreak, but bear in mind how long it took to find the single exploit used in the jailbreakme.com jailbreak. If that's anything to go by, it could be a while.

As for manually installing Bite: .deb files can be installed manually (do a search for Cydia AutoInstall) and I actually prefer to do it this way--I save all my .deb files so I can use an older version of a program in case a developer makes changes I'm not crazy about or releases a buggy update. However, you need to be jailbroken in order to access the file system on the phone.
    10-24-2011 10:50 AM
    rubbish, there's always going to be a patch somewhere-sometime. unless the Dev team explains what is going on then the only thing people are left with is they do NOT have one ready
    10-24-2011 11:23 AM
    Maybe there is hope:

Jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Untethered On iOS 5 [Status] | iJailbreak.com

not sure how reliable this source is, but I'm hoping they know their stuff!
    10-24-2011 10:14 PM
    Maybe there is hope:

Jailbreak iPhone 4S and iPad 2 Untethered On iOS 5 [Status] | iJailbreak.com

not sure how reliable this source is, but I'm hoping they know their stuff!
    Wow. A glimmer of hope. The 4S would be SO excellent jailbroken. I wonder how Siri would feel about it
    10-25-2011 11:38 AM
    yes dev team blog will always give u rite update
    10-26-2011 02:43 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD