... I got extremely reluctant, and just couldn't let my phone update. Was anyone else ready to update to iOS5 until the time actually came to give up their jailbreak?

I have over $100 invested in JB apps, and it makes me nervous that there is no untethered JB out even though I know it's coming.

Anyone else feeling undecided on what to do?
    10-12-2011 04:41 PM
    Wait.

That's what I'm doing.

iOS 5 will still be waiting for you when the untethered JB is released
    10-12-2011 05:05 PM
    I'm waiting on my IPad but hVe tried ios5 on my iphone4
    10-12-2011 05:08 PM
    Wait.

That's what I'm doing.

iOS 5 will still be waiting for you when the untethered JB is released
    Probably the best advice I could ask for! Doesn't make it easier though, ha!
    10-12-2011 05:10 PM
    I am thinking of upgrading my jailbroken iPhone4 and iPad2. I am worried about my iPhone that after the update whether the gevey unlock will work on iOS5 or not. I bought my iPhone4 two months back on at&t network paid in full but I am using it on a different network now. Any info regarding the compatibility of gevey unlock with iOS5 would be much appreciated..

By the way I am using the old gevey sim which requires dialing 112 every-time the phone reboots..
    10-12-2011 05:58 PM
    I would have waited if I still had my JB but lost it so went for the upgrade.
    10-12-2011 07:37 PM
    The itch to jailbreak will be agonising!
    No BiteSMS until the jailbreak. But like the guy said above, iOS 5 will always be waiting once the untether is released. =p
    10-12-2011 07:51 PM
    With the added bonus of the fact that the Apple servers won't be getting hammered by iOS 5 requests at that point
    10-13-2011 12:00 AM
    So, I'm just gonna put this out there -- the tethered jailbreak isn't all that bad. I was a staunch "I'm not jailbreaking until it's untethered!" kind of guy for the longest. But then I got antsy when I started installing the beta versions of OS 5. I don't turn my phone off at night (I put it in Airplane Mode) and I don't habitually reboot my phone. I might do it every couple of the days, and redsn0w is super easy. So, give the tethered thing a shot. Not that big of a deal for me, and I thought it would be a nightmare.
    10-13-2011 12:35 AM
    I'm actually downloading iOS 5 right now and thinking of giving up my jb to try it out. Normally I wouldn't go near it, but tonight I'm just feeling like I don't really care if I have to run stock. (I think I was counting on winning that stock 4S...)
    10-13-2011 12:37 AM
    ... I got extremely reluctant, and just couldn't let my phone update. Was anyone else ready to update to iOS5 until the time actually came to give up their jailbreak?

I have over $100 invested in JB apps, and it makes me nervous that there is no untethered JB out even though I know it's coming.

Anyone else feeling undecided on what to do?
    Relax, I think all of us who've been in the jailbreak world a few years have over a $100 invested in apps. I couldn't even count with the price of good HD themes being $2.99 a piece. But untethered is no big deal. Its a 20 second process to reboot tethered. Just don't be out somewhere and turn your phone off. The untethered jailbreak is covered its just a matter of time waiting on Apple to see if they throw a suprise update out at us like 5.0.1 or something. As soon as I updated to ios5 when GM was released a week ago i went ahead and did a tethered jailbreak. For the first time since July 2009 I've been on a tethered jailbreak and its not untethered but its still just fine. I only respring and use sbsettings to cleanup RAM and close apps. No need to turn your phone off anyway.

Josh
    10-13-2011 12:40 AM
    I'm actually downloading iOS 5 right now and thinking of giving up my jb to try it out. Normally I wouldn't go near it, but tonight I'm just feeling like I don't really care if I have to run stock. (I think I was counting on winning that stock 4S...)
    That's the spirit! haha..
    10-13-2011 01:49 AM
    I'm debating this now as well. I want to check out iOS5 but I'm not sure what I'll miss from being jailbroken. I was going to start looking into how to downgrade, is that possible?
    10-13-2011 01:51 AM
    I have two iPads, both running 4.3.3 jailbroken. I decided to update to iOS 5 on the iPad I don't use just to compare. I figure I'll leave the other one alone and wait to see how difficult jailbreaking the one running 5 is.

I haven't done much yet to really compare, but I like the idea of iCloud. I know this is not important, but I like the updated UI for the iPod. Some of my album artwork didn't carry over, but that's an easy fix. The new UI for Safari with tabs is nice, too.

Right off the bat, though, I miss the jailbreak. I miss SBSettings, Backgrounder, 5 Row Keyboard, Split Mail, Retina Pad, and all the cosmetic stuff like Winterboard.

I'm looking forward to the ability to have an untethered jailbreak available to get all this back. I won't miss the new stuff in iOS 5 as much as I'd miss having the jailbreak. Until then I'll stick with the iPad running 4.3.3.

Mike
    10-13-2011 02:49 AM
    I'm debating this now as well. I want to check out iOS5 but I'm not sure what I'll miss from being jailbroken. I was going to start looking into how to downgrade, is that possible?
    I took the plunge iOS 5 is nice but I miss my custom txt tones bitesms and sbsetting not to mention timelesshd theme. Hopefully a good jailbreak will come out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-13-2011 03:08 AM
    I'm also having second thought in upgrading my iPad 2 because some of my friends are telling me that the is an error on iOS 5. Really want some answer regarding on it.
    10-13-2011 03:28 AM
    Dumb question because I am relatively new to the jailbreak community and have only ever been untethered.

If I go tethered, can you untether it when that comes out or will I have to redo everything?

Never used redsnow before, isn't that the Mac only one? Just made the switch to apple comps

10-13-2011 09:18 AM
    Dumb question because I am relatively new to the jailbreak community and have only ever been untethered.

If I go tethered, can you untether it when that comes out or will I have to redo everything?

Never used redsnow before, isn't that the Mac only one? Just made the switch to apple comps

Yup! You just re-run the untethered jailbreak over the existing tethered one. The only difference is that you would uncheck "Install Cydia" - since it's already there.

It'll probably be released by the Dev-Team so you would just run the newer version of redsn0w over the old.
    10-13-2011 10:01 AM

Of course you can go untethered again, no problem!
    10-13-2011 10:02 AM
    redsn0w is both Mac and Windows compatible. They just released the new version Mac only for now, but once they know the features are stable they'll compile a Windows version as well.

As far as I know, you can re-jailbreak untethered once it is released if you're running a tethered JB.

Tethered jailbreaks work fine for probably 9/10 people, but I like to know, especially because I'll be running it on a 3GS, that I can reboot if I need to and not lose my phone until I get home. I'm a long way from my home computer when I'm at work (53 mile one-way commute), and that's a long time to be without my phone.
    10-13-2011 10:04 AM
    I went ahead and did it and am now running stock. After years of being jailbroken, it's WEIRD. I definitely miss things and will rejailbreak, but I also knew I'd want some iOS 5 features eventuallyglad I got it done now.
    10-13-2011 10:08 AM
    I'm holding off for now. I probably won't upgrade until the untethered jb comes out. I like to hedge my bets, and anyway, by the time that the jb comes out, i'll know about all the possible bugs.
    10-13-2011 10:44 AM
    So, I'm just gonna put this out there -- the tethered jailbreak isn't all that bad. I was a staunch "I'm not jailbreaking until it's untethered!" kind of guy for the longest. But then I got antsy when I started installing the beta versions of OS 5. I don't turn my phone off at night (I put it in Airplane Mode) and I don't habitually reboot my phone. I might do it every couple of the days, and redsn0w is super easy. So, give the tethered thing a shot. Not that big of a deal for me, and I thought it would be a nightmare.
    I was the same way, but I really wanted to try beta's of OS 5 too. I was surprised how easy it is to do a tethered JB. It's not bad at all. I just know that I can't download any cydia apps when I'm not at home, incase they require a reboot. give it a shot. The only this that I can't use that I wanted to from OS 4 is Perpage HTML where it looks like the HTC weather widget. Still worth it though.
    10-13-2011 11:35 AM
    I took the plunge iOS 5 is nice but I miss my custom txt tones bitesms and sbsetting not to mention timelesshd theme. Hopefully a good jailbreak will come out soon

One of the TiPb mods wrote that it is now possible to add custom text tones in iOS5. Have you tried doing so?
    10-13-2011 12:57 PM
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I may take the plunge tonight if I can get all the redsnow stuff I need together.

It's nice having a Mac now so I get earlier access, as I was quite jealous last time waiting on the windows mode.

10-13-2011 01:49 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD