Unlocking iPhone 4...nervous, advice needed.

SliceOfHorse

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been reading up on unlocking iPhones, and it sounds like you can get some really cool results, but the one thing that's holding me back is that it could be kind of dangerous and could damage your phone. I really love my iPhone, and am looking for advice. If I decide to do it, which method should I use? It sounds like there's quite a few of them. I read something about tethered jailbreaking, not sure if I want to go that route unless it's recommended. Is there a way to undo it if I don't like the results or experience difficulty using the phone? Could tethered jailbreaking be good for this, then (if I understand tethered jailbreaking correctly)? What will change on my iPhone if I do it? I read one method will replace the App Store with one called Cydia. Is that just one method that will do that, or will they all? What are the risks? Do I need to use the most current versions of whatever I use to unlock it? I'm currently downloading iTunes version 10.5 now. Will anything happen to any apps I have on my phone?

I just got my iPhone 4 (version 4.3.5) this past April (first ever smartphone), and so far I love it. I don't want to do anything that could permanently damage it, but it sounds like I can get good results by following the steps. But if I'm going to do it, I want to do it right. Advice, please! And thank you!!

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
What exactly is it you want to do?
If you're thinking of unlocking only, then if you got your iPhone stock from the store with 4.3.5, then most likely you'll be on 04.10.01 baseband, which isn't unlockable anyway on current jailbreaks. The only way is a Gevey sim. I don't know which country you're from, but if it's outside the US, have you considered getting an unlock code from your carrier? Or better yet, is your iPhone factory unlocked already?

The only way to have a jailbroken iPhone with unlockable baseband is if you had preserved the BB from earlier firmwares. But that's not possible since you got it directly on 4.3.5.

Jailbreaking will not damage your iPhone, and is completely reversible.

Cydia and App Store coexist in perfect harmony.

Last edited:

SliceOfHorse

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm from the US. I just read about ways to customize the iPhone's layout (menu screen, folders, etc.) by 'jailbreaking' it. I read a lot of this can be done using apps that you can download from Cydia. How can I get Cydia on my iPhone?

Maybe I'm just using the incorrect terminology. Are jailbreaking and unlocking the same thing? sounds like they may not be. And what will the Gevey sim do?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
They're not the same.

I assumed you meant unlocking as in being able to use another SIM in your iPhone. If that's not your concern, then it clarifies things a lot.

What you mean is jailbreaking.

It brings a lot more to the table. Many system tweaks, themes, icon customisation, lock screen customisation.

These things are provided through Cydia, which comes installed when you jailbreak.

If you decide to jailbreak, you will only be able to jailbreak tethered now on your firmware 4.3.5. Tethered means each time you boot your iPhone, you will need a computer to do so. Untethered means you can reboot it normally without the need of a computer.

Last edited:

SliceOfHorse

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Ah, ok...sorry for the confusion! Is there an easy jailbreak guide I could follow, so that I do this correctly? Is the chance of bricking my phone high?

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Go to YouTube and search a channel for EverythingApplePro. Easy video guides on jailbreaking, plus all links are provided from his site.