Total Newb Question regarding VZ Iphone 4 and IOS updates......Need help Please!

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ive read somewhere that I shouldnt download anything higher than 4.2.8 IOS is that correct? If so Im having issues with finding 4.2.8 IOS in zip format and Snowbreeze is not seeing it. This is my first update. Phone is currently jailbreaked.

Any help with best easiest way to upgrade the OS and rejailbreak would be greatly appriciated.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
what are the 4.2.8 files you download? they should be ipsw. Go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Basic and "Where to find firmware". Also your extensions might just not be showing in Windows. If this is the case lookup how to show file extensions in Windows. If you're getting them as a zipped file (.zip) search on here I've seen threads about it before.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
what are the 4.2.8 files you download? they should be ipsw. Go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Basic and "Where to find firmware". Also your extensions might just not be showing in Windows. If this is the case lookup how to show file extensions in Windows. If you're getting them as a zipped file (.zip) search on here I've seen threads about it before.

Yea sorry I should have stated that. It saves the file as a zip file so I went in and changed the type to itunes which I believe Im supposed to. Ill have to do some researching on that. But once i figured out the IOS issue what is the steps for installing it and rejailbreaking it?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just converted it to ipsw what I need it to be. So now Im just needing assistance with the upgrade and rejailbreaking the phone. Now I have some using SnowBreeze and some others using Redsnow?? Whats the difference?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok I ended up using SnowBreeze and created a jailbreak .ipsw and than I went into DFU mode and held shift + restore and I keep getting: iphone could not be restored an unknown error occurred 3194. Does anyone know what Im doing wrong?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I might be fuzzy but that usually means you're not getting the phone into DFU mode properly. I don't have a VZ phone cause I'm not in the US but what is the latest iOS version they are running? if it's 4.2.8 then you may not be getting the device into DFU mode properly. Are you using a proper Apple USB cable? in the past many times for some reason I was using a 3rd party cables ie. Griffin, etc. and my phone would never go into DFU, use Apple cable and boom first time.

If VZ is on a newer firmware then Apple has stopped signing 4.2.8 so if you have your SHSH blobs you need to get Tiny Umbrella and go to the first link in my sig to see how to point to Cydia servers for authorization. If you don't have your SHSH blobs then you can't do it you'll have to wait.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
3194 usually means the Apple servers are rejecting your 4.2.8 signature, since it's only taking 4.2.10 right now.
If you have SHSH blobs, you need to start TU and turn on the server.

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I might be fuzzy but that usually means you're not getting the phone into DFU mode properly. I don't have a VZ phone cause I'm not in the US but what is the latest iOS version they are running? if it's 4.2.8 then you may not be getting the device into DFU mode properly. Are you using a proper Apple USB cable? in the past many times for some reason I was using a 3rd party cables ie. Griffin, etc. and my phone would never go into DFU, use Apple cable and boom first time.

If VZ is on a newer firmware then Apple has stopped signing 4.2.8 so if you have your SHSH blobs you need to get Tiny Umbrella and go to the first link in my sig to see how to point to Cydia servers for authorization. If you don't have your SHSH blobs then you can't do it you'll have to wait.

Currently I have 4.2.6 Jailbreak on the phone. I believe verizon has 4.2.10 as the latest OS. As for DFU Im in that mode as even iTunes see's it as DFU mode so Im good there.

As for the SHSH? What is that? Any links you can provide to better knowledge myself on that?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
3194 usually means the Apple servers are rejecting your 4.2.8 signature, since it's only taking 4.2.10 right now.
If you have SHSH blobs, you need to start TU and turn on the server.

Ok after reading up on things a bit it appears that the latest is 4.2.10 but Im not wanting to go to that right? Since we know thats the issue how do I SHSH?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Download TinyUmbrella, save your SHSH blob first, then you're safe to do whatever.

Im using Tiny Umbrella V5.00.12 and clicked on Save SHSH and the only Saved SHSH's it pulled up was: iphone 4CDMA 4.2.10 (8E600)-1199656443215

Is that what its supposed to show? And now am I ready to DFU the phone and run Itunes restore?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok everything appears to finally have gone through but need help getting it out the recovery loop. I cant seem to turn it back on. Any help on this?

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you're in the recovery loop, tiny umbrella can help. I had the same problem yesterday and I've got some questions that'll be in a thread I'm posting. But for you, here's what to do. With the phone hooked up to itunes, and Tiny Umbrella up, turn the phone off, and go through the procedure to get into DFU mode. When the phone turns back on in DFU mode, go to Tiny Umbrella, and you should see the fix recovery button become enabled in the upper left of the window. Click it. It will run a process that should allow your phone to break the loop. At that point, the phone will need to be activated by downloading carrier settings in tunes, and then you can finish restoring whatever backup you had in itunes.

Last edited:

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If you're in the recovery loop, tiny umbrella can help. I had the same problem yesterday and I've got some questions that'll be in a thread I'm posting. But for you, here's what to do. With the phone hooked up to itunes, and Tiny Umbrella up, turn the phone off, and go through the procedure to get into DFU mode. When the phone turns back on in DFU mode, go to Tiny Umbrella, and you should see the fix recovery button become enabled in the upper left of the window. Click it. It will run a process that should allow your phone to break the loop. At that point, the phone will need to be activated by downloading carrier settings in tunes, and then you can finish restoring whatever backup you had in itunes.

It states: itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. you must restore this iphone before it can be used with itunes?

So im assuming its still in DFU mode right or is this different? The entire process with itunes and restore went through with no issues earlier. Am I missing something?

Johnny-5

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok I just did the software install again and states it has been successfully restored and than goes right back to Itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode.

How do I get it out of it? It stated successful restore so just need to get it to reboot?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Im using Tiny Umbrella V5.00.12 and clicked on Save SHSH and the only Saved SHSH's it pulled up was: iphone 4CDMA 4.2.10 (8E600)-1199656443215

Is that what its supposed to show? And now am I ready to DFU the phone and run Itunes restore?

If you're trying to go to 4.2.8, this is your issue: you don't have SHSH saved for that firmware, so you will not be able to load it. So then, your only option is load 4.2.10. Since this is the latest firmware, you can do it normally through iTunes; just make sure that before you open iTunes you go into Tiny Umbrella's advanced options and uncheck the box that says something like "set hosts to Cydia on exit". After that, open iTunes, connect your phone, and update to 4.2.10.

(And bear in mind, iOS 5 is right around the corner. You're probably going to want to update again in a week or so.)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner