syncing a new iPhone(4) with a backup of an old jailbroken one (3G)

Barča

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Very basic, but then I know very little. Question: I have just downloaded the latest version of iTunes and I'm ready to sync in my brand new iPhone. However, I temporarily had a jailbroken one (with Cydia installed on it), so the last back up profile I'd synced into iTunes had the jailbreak on. Will this be transferred onto my new phone? I really don't want that to happen btw... Thanks!!

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
No, the Jailbreak is not transferred. Contacts, email settings, perhaps Wifi, application data would be synced, but the jailbreak is something that you would have to do again if you want it.

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Just today I did what you are asking. I have a 16GB white iPad 2 on 4.3.3 jailbroken that my girlfriend has been using and I wanted to switch her over to a newer 64GB black iPad 2 running 4.3.5. She doesn't need the jailbroken stuff, but needs the bigger storage capacity.

Anyhow, I synched her iPad and backed up the data. I then did a restore from backup on the new iPad using her backup from the jailbroken iPad. At first I was concerned when the sync was completed because it only showed the default apps being installed despite other apps being selected for the sync. Long story short, her contacts, emails, Safari bookmarks, etc. were all there. I synched the iPad again to install the apps thinking they'd all be fresh without any of the old data. Turns out that once the apps were installed the data was there, too. Game saves, etc. were all there. I guess the restore put the data on the iPad, but couldn't be accessed until the apps were physically on the iPad.

The only thing I had to do at that point is reorganize her icons and she was off and running as if nothing had changed. She has more storage space now and I have an extra iPad to tinker with.

Mike

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2