iPhone 4 not recognized on pc

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Some stats first. My jailbroken iphone is running 4.2.8. My iphone syncs to a windows 7 desktop, with itunes 10.4. The phone is no longer recognized by itunes or, apparantly, the OS. When this started, the iphone would show up in windows explorer, but itunes would complain that it couldn't read the phone, and that I should do a restore. I didn't want to do that, as when I upgraded to 4.2.8, I had a failure with the backups I had done and I had to start from scratch with cydia. I was hoping to troubleshoot the problem.

Anyway, today, when I hook up the phone to the computer, the phone makes the connection sound, but the PC doesn't. Itunes opens, but displays no messages or otherwise notice the device, and the phone doesn't show up in windows explorer either. But the phone is visible to the program iphone explorer. The phone is otherwise apparently operating normally.

This problem seems to have started after I downloaded an update to libgpod. It appears to be a support file for myfile. The update said that for the update to work on an iphone 4, an edit needed to be made in /System/Library/Lockdown/Checkpoint.xml, and the phone rebooted, and synced with itunes. I made the edit (changing a single value in the file), saved, rebooted, tried to sync, and it failed as I mentioned above. I have tried to reverse the change in that file and reboot, but that didn't change anything. I tried deleting the file, and when I did that the only change is that when the phone connects, my pc makes a connection noise along with the phone, but Itunes and windows explorer still don't find the phone.

I have saved shsh blobs on my system for 4.2.8, and I also have a local copy of the OS, plus the file that snowbreeze created during the jailbreak process with the jailbroken OS. So I suspect I could reinstall the OS, but I have nearly 150 apps and tweaks on this phone and I don't want to have to reinstall them all.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I ended up restoring the phone OS and rejailbreaking. While backing up files from the device I discovered the phone's log files, which showed the process that connected to iTunes was crashing. I suspect the file edit caused the problem as the change made had to do with a USB connection setting.

Moral of the story: be careful editing XML files on your phone.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I had multiple issues after the same update that you did, I had to change the dbversion back to a 5 i believe. Then on every reboot there was an issue that caused it to boot twice and i would have to reinstall ultrasn0w. I ended up putting cydia into the developer option and removed myfile as well as the file that was installed for managing the music and now it reboots fine and iTunes recognizes it.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you solved the problem. Yes, the default is 5 and the program demanded a step back to 4. I don't know why I didn't have success after resetting the default setting. The other moral here is forget about myfile.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73