Best Jailbreak Method

alexrogers#AC

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
What is the best jailbreak method for the Verizon iPhone 4. I just purchased it this week and I tried jailbreakme.com, but I had a lot of issues. I have restored it back to factory settings and am looking for the most stable jailbreak method. Please help!

fordfalcon

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I used JBme and it was easy but had issues, crashed with bitesms. I then used redsn0w. not it took a whole 5 mins more ( well seamed like it) and required downloading some files. Now up and running and using bitesms no issues.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
That is called unlocking. It only applies to the AT&T iphone as the Verizon one is CDMA and can't be "unlocked." To unlock though you do need to jailbreak.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site
That is called unlocking. It only applies to the AT&T iphone as the Verizon one is CDMA and can't be "unlocked." To unlock though you do need to jailbreak.

Ive heard that someone has unlocked a verizon phone to a dif carrier...anyone know more about that?

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Use redsn0w as it's more stable and refined.

Do need to download redsn0w but you should be able to find you firmware in the iTunes folder to Dave you downloading it again (providing you already updated).

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ive heard that someone has unlocked a verizon phone to a dif carrier...anyone know more about that?

Ugh..I wish Rene never would have posted that topic mentioning the possibility of this before the VZW iphone4 came out.

Okay as far as technical stuff goes it IS possible. Technically speaking, CDMA devices are already unlocked. The way they are activated is by supplying the IMEI or ESN to the carrier and it needs to be in their approved list of devices. The only way to get them to add an unbranded device to this list is to annoy the hell out of dozens of people or to know somebody working at the CDMA carrier. Theoretically you could get an iphone onto Sprint if you know the right people working there. Its just such a slim chance of it happening that its hardly worth even trying. Most of the time now they reject any attempts to add devices to their list.

Obviously a VZW iphone on T-Mobile or AT&T is impossible as they use different radios.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Ugh..I wish Rene never would have posted that topic mentioning the possibility of this before the VZW iphone4 came out.

Okay as far as technical stuff goes it IS possible. Technically speaking, CDMA devices are already unlocked. The way they are activated is by supplying the IMEI or ESN to the carrier and it needs to be in their approved list of devices. The only way to get them to add an unbranded device to this list is to annoy the hell out of dozens of people or to know somebody working at the CDMA carrier. Theoretically you could get an iphone onto Sprint if you know the right people working there. Its just such a slim chance of it happening that its hardly worth even trying. Most of the time now they reject any attempts to add devices to their list.

Obviously a VZW iphone on T-Mobile or AT&T is impossible as they use different radios.

Even if you did get a VZW to work on another carrier (Sprint being the only other major US CDMA carrier), it:

a) Would suffer the same kinds of limitations that an iPhone on T-Mobile currently suffers (or suffered with no 3G speeds, sketchy MMS, etc)
b) Would not last long as Sprint (and VZW as well, probably) scrub their system looking for things like this on a very regular basis
c) Would absolutely get the person who entered the info into their system fired, possibly (though not likely) prosecuted

While it may be possible, it would definitely not be worth it.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Even if you did get a VZW to work on another carrier (Sprint being the only other major US CDMA carrier), it:

a) Would suffer the same kinds of limitations that an iPhone on T-Mobile currently suffers (or suffered with no 3G speeds, sketchy MMS, etc)
b) Would not last long as Sprint (and VZW as well, probably) scrub their system looking for things like this on a very regular basis
c) Would absolutely get the person who entered the info into their system fired, possibly (though not likely) prosecuted

While it may be possible, it would definitely not be worth it.

a) not true. They use the same 3G bands. Seriously. Verizon and Sprint's technology are identical. MMS works too. The only difference between a Sprint phone and Verizon phone is the logo on it.
b) Probably
c) thats the biggest issue. Its a major risk.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
a) not true. They use the same 3G bands. Seriously. Verizon and Sprint's technology are identical. MMS works too. The only difference between a Sprint phone and Verizon phone is the logo on it.

There are some minor differences, and you would have to get the phone to accept the Sprint PRL over the Verizon one, which may be another issue in and of itself.

But since B and C are so much more likely to bar porting a phone than A is, we will probably never know for certain.

Though if the rumor mills are true, Sprint doesn't have long to wait before they get an iPhone of their own.

Oh, and I forgot a point D) You risk getting your account closed and banned from ever becoming a (primary) Sprint customer again

I worked for Sprint for a number of years, I wouldn't put it past them.

In any case, though, unlocking only makes sense and only works for GSM phones.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
There are some minor differences, and you would have to get the phone to accept the Sprint PRL over the Verizon one, which may be another issue in and of itself.

But since B and C are so much more likely to bar porting a phone than A is, we will probably never know for certain.

Though if the rumor mills are true, Sprint doesn't have long to wait before they get an iPhone of their own.

Oh, and I forgot a point D) You risk getting your account closed and banned from ever becoming a (primary) Sprint customer again

I worked for Sprint for a number of years, I wouldn't put it past them.

In any case, though, unlocking only makes sense and only works for GSM phones.

I know plenty of people who got Sprint touch pro's on verizon way back in the day. The phones just accepted the PRL. It was pretty amazing actually, on ppcgeeks.com everybody was doing this back then. You might be able to find the archived posts if you check.

Obviously if you changed roms or hard reset you ran the risk of losing your service but hackers found a way.

A good friend of mine has a friend (I know..I hate that crap) who reported seeing some type of prototype iphone on the DMD list. We'll see if it happens but it does seem to exist in some form.

entronp

May 30, 2010
Visit site

My question comes from reading an article somewhere that said someone had already made software that was able to make one work on a dif network, wasnt Sprint tho. Just curious if anyone else knew more on that.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you referring to MetroPCS or Cricket? If so they have some kind of software to let you. I forget the name..Houdini or something maybe.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
MetroPCS and Cricket can flash other phones (even those that are reported stolen, I've heard) onto their network, but from what I understand smartphones lose a lot of functionality doing this.

GigaS27

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Rather then starting a new thread....can someone tell me the differences between Jailbreakme.com and the other JB out therE?

I just went to JBme.com and installed the cydia app, does that mean i'm JB? That was way too easy....

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it means you're jailbroken, welcome to the not so exclusive club :)

The primary difference is that you don't need a PC or Mac to do it. Really, that's all. There are some people who say one method is more stable than others (redsn0w is reportedly one of the more stable methods, when compared to jbme.com), but realistically all of the methods accomplish the same thing.

Reactions: GigaS27

Seven77

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I used redsn0w to jailbreak my iPhone 4 running 4.2.10. I have to tether every time I restart, but the jailbreak did work, just having issues booting up after installing biteSMS on Cydia. :(

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2