Food for thought...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's some food for thought... did you know that it is still illegal to jailbreak your iPad? The DMCA says anything that circumvents copy protection is illegal. The Library of Congress can issue exceptions to the DMCA... and has done so with regards to wireless PHONES... but NOT tablets or other electronics.

Now, I think it's a fine line, and have no problem with anyone jailbreaking/rooting any device that they own, but these are the facts...

Jailbreaking: The Rumors and The Realities | Mac|Life

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This doesn't matter much, the iPhone was out in 2007 and when was JBing declared legal? This didn't stop people from doing it, and rightly so I have never understood the big deal beyond the companies bottom line which they obviously have an interest in watching.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't matter much, the iPhone was out in 2007 and when was JBing declared legal? This didn't stop people from doing it, and rightly so I have never understood the big deal beyond the companies bottom line which they obviously have an interest in watching.

Again, you're preaching to the choir, Ricky... merely pointing out what some folks may not know. JB was granted the exception after the iPhone, but before the iPad was released... I think the LoC reviews this stuff every 2 years or so...

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
If you look at the decision with sony and geohot you can take it a step further. The courts actually ruled that it was ok for geohot to bypass the copy right protection on his own machine. He got in trouble for distributing the code. We are still allowed to do what we want to our own devices as long as we do not distribute the code.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Well technically there was no decision made..but both sides came to a mutual agreement that he would no longer try to exploit or hack anything made by Sony. If anything it did the opposite of what you said.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The court was set to rule and is ruling on the other defendant. I should have specifically pointed out the other one as he is going to jail for distributing the code.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
The court was set to rule and is ruling on the other defendant. I should have specifically pointed out the other one as he is going to jail for distributing the code.

What?

He isn't going to jail. The case was settled. He got a job at Facebook and he is getting on with his life.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
What?

He isn't going to jail. The case was settled. He got a job at Facebook and he is getting on with his life.

There were two people that Sony went after Geo and another guy. Geo settled and went on with his life, the other guy did not. He is about to be sent to jail for distributing the code.

Here is a link about Hotz's settlement SCEA vs. Geohot: Sony wins a not-quite flawless victory -- Engadget

I am looking for the link for the other guy that was targeted and is going to jail. Geohot is the more known of the two. But as you will notice on most of the articles and the one i linked Geohot is banned from distributing the code not cracking the Playstation.

entwined82

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
There were two people that Sony went after Geo and another guy. Geo settled and went on with his life, the other guy did not. He is about to be sent to jail for distributing the code.

Here is a link about Hotz's settlement SCEA vs. Geohot: Sony wins a not-quite flawless victory -- Engadget

I am looking for the link for the other guy that was targeted and is going to jail. Geohot is the more known of the two. But as you will notice on most of the articles and the one i linked Geohot is banned from distributing the code not cracking the Playstation.

Graf_Chokolo is the guy you're referring to. Im a PS3 scene guy so I follow this stuff. Graf actually never did what Geohot did with releasing private keys for signing. Graf edited the HV (Hypervisor, or LV0) to allow it to run and I think dualboot Linux. He's being really unfairly and harshly punished for absolutely nothing. Problem is it seems in Europe the companies and law enforcement have less people to answer to than they do here in America.

Also PS3 News: Sony wins court case against hacker 'Geohot' - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

He can't "provide links from any website to any other website", or "engage in acts of circumvention of TPMS in the PS3 System to access, obtain, remove, or traffic in copyrighted works," according to PSX-Scene, via Joystiq.

The bolded part sure makes it seem that he can't hack anymore.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Again, you're preaching to the choir, Ricky... merely pointing out what some folks may not know. JB was granted the exception after the iPhone, but before the iPad was released... I think the LoC reviews this stuff every 2 years or so...

LOL I know I was just throwing the other side of the story on the table.

The PS3 stuff I love how Geohot is Geohot and the 2nd person is just that OTHER guy LOL

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
once the camel's nose is under the tent, the legality of jailbreaking will apply to all mobile devices.

I understand what you are saying... but currently the Library of Congress is the only body authorized to grant exceptions to the DMCA... and has done so for cellular phones... but since tablets weren't around (in their current form) the last time the LoC met to discuss such exemptions, they were not exempted, and thus, it's technically still a violation of that DMCA to jailbreak them.

I have no doubt that when they convene again to discuss the exemptions, what goes for cell phones will also, more than likely, include tablets, as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal