Best way to update OS and re-jailbreak?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There's really no one answer to this; it just depends on your situation. For example, I'm on an official carrier and don't care about unlocking/preserving my baseband, and have never used any sort of Cydia backup (I just take the half hour or so to reinstall my Cydia apps after re-jailbreaking). So for me it was simple:

-Update in iTunes
-Re-jailbreak w/redsn0w
-Reinstall Cydia apps

But for someone who cares about baseband preservation, that would add a step. Care about preserving data in your Cydia apps? Another step. The article you linked to talks a lot about using the Restore As New Phone option, which is where DataDeposit comes in...I've always used the Restore From Backup option--and despite all the warnings you'll see online, I've never had any issues with it--so I don't need that step, but if you want to do that then that's another step.

So: you can see how it's really different depending on what you want or need to do. Decide that first and then you'll be able to streamline the process.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. What's baseband preservation? I think I could deal without basically everything else. I have google sync for contacts/calendar backup, but I would like to back up game progress.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
BB preservation is helpful if you rely on an unlock to use your phone with an unofficial carrier (T-Mobile in the US for instance). For example: on the iPhone 4, the 1.59.00 baseband is the only one that can be unlocked, but updating the iOS in iTunes also updates the baseband to a newer version that can't be unlocked. So people have developed ways of updating the iOS firmware without updating the baseband.

Regarding game data: I'm pretty sure that if you do decide to Restore From Backup instead of setting up as a new phone, your game info will transfer back.

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So for me it was simple:

-Update in iTunes
-Re-jailbreak w/redsn0w
-Reinstall Cydia apps

So if I want to update my OS from 4.1 to 4.3 for instance I would just plug phone into computer and wait for iTunes to ask me if I want to install the updated OS (I've been saying no so far) then re-jailbreak and reinstall my cydia apps. That sounds a whole lot easier than how the mentioned article is saying to do it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
As long as you don't need an unlock, yes. In fact, I went 4.1 to 4.3.3 myself.

The only thing you might need to check is this: if you've used Tiny Umbrella in the past, open it up, go to Advanced, and uncheck the Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit box. (Unchecking it allows iTunes to verify the restore with Apple.) The exact steps I used can be found in this post.

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Massie, I'm an idiot though, I checked my phone and I already have version 4.3.1 on there, I'm probably going to wait for the JB of ios 5 before upgrading unless you know of something on 4.3.3 that I may need that isn't on 4.3.1.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR