ViPhone 4.2.8 Jailbreak w/ Pwnage Tool 4.2 & 4.2.8 Bundle (Mac)

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a reiteration of my previous walkthrough. I have received several PM's with questions, as well as reports that the links are down. As the info being exchanges can be useful to the community and the other thread is closed due to the lovely people that like to advertise in forum threads, I thought it would be useful to have a place to discuss any issues with the process. For this thread I have checked the links and clarified certain steps in the walkthrough so while it is the same process, the info has changed slightly. Hopefully those that caused the last thread to close will leave this one alone.

Here we go!

Disclaimer:
This is simply a walk through of how to achieve Jailbreak. Any damage that may occur as a result of following these steps is the responsibility of anyone who chooses to follow them. This method has worked for several people. If you follow the directions closely you should not have an issue.

Things you need:
-- Verizon iPhone running iOS 4.2.8
-- Pwnage tool 4.2 can be found here. (this is not the current version of Pwnage tool)
-- Pwnage tool 4.2.8 bundle Can be found here.
-- Stock iOS 4.2.8 restore firmware Can be found here.

If you have used TinyUmbrella prior to using this method, make sure you point it to apple servers instead of cydia. If you do not you will get an error upon restore. If you don't know what this means or have never used TinyUmbrella, disregard this paragraph.

First, sync with iTunes and make sure you have a current backup of settings, contacts, pictures, etc...

Next create a folder on your desktop and label it "Pwnage".

Once you have everything downloaded, unzip the Pwnage tool to the new folder on your desktop that you labeled ?Pwnage?. Once unzipped, right click the Pwnage app icon (should be a grey/black pineapple icon). Select "show package contents" from the drop down menu. Open the "contents" folder. Once you're in the "contents" folder, open the folder labeled "resources".
Now that you have the "resources" folder open, scroll down to the folder labeled "firmware bundles" and open it.

The file path to this point is as follows: Right Click Pinapple icon--> Show Package Contents--> Contents--> Resources.

Now that you have the "firmware bundles" file open, drag and drop the 4.2.8 firmware bundle you downloaded (not the restore firmware) into this file at the bottom of the list. This should update Pwnage Tool 4.2 with the files necessary to build a custom firmware for Verizon?s 4.2.8 software. Video tutorial for this step can be found here.

After updating the pwnage software, open Pwnage Tool application and select ?iPhone 4? and ?Expert Mode?. Point Pwnage Tool to the Stock 4.2.8 restore firmware you downloaded by selecting ?browse for ipsw?. Select ?general?, make sure none of the boxes are checked. Advance Pwnage Tool passed ?cydia packages? and ?custom packages? without changing anything. Select ?Build? to build the custom ipsw.

Once built, follow the onscreen instructions for putting your phone in DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, iTunes will recognize there is a device connected that is in DFU. When you click ?restore? button, make sure you are holding the ?alt/option? key of your keyboard so you can choose the file to restore from!. If you are given the option to choose from a folder, you have done this correctly. Choose the custom ipsw file you just created with Pwnage Tool and let iTunes finish the job for you.

If you get an error after the firmware has finished installing, first off, check and double check to make sure you have followed the directions to the letter. If you have done everything correctly and are still throwing an error it could be due to a problem with host files. This video shows the method for solving the 1300 error code but it worked for me on several 16xx codes as well.

Hopefully this thread will serve as a place where we can continue to collaborate and help each other out. If you have problems with any of the links or have any questions or corrections to this original post let me know. Good luck, and happy jailbreaking!:)

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
will restoring a previous backup (a 4.2.6) backup cause any issues if i update to 4.2.8 using this method?

Theoretically no because by the time you get to the point in iTunes where it gives you the option to "restore from backup" it is referring to the backup of settings, pictures, texts, etc. That being said there are people who experience bugs after installing custom firmware and restoring from backup. Therefore it is recommended that you set it up as a new device when you jailbreak. At any rate, backup everything you can and have a good idea of where your phone is at prior to attempting anything.

Update:
Just checked the link and I had no problem downloading the bundle so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Last edited:

integlspwr

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When restoring the iphone with the custom Firmware, does it erase / format the phone like it was brand new from factory. if so, how do i get my apps / contacts back on there?

Thanks!

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
When restoring the iphone with the custom Firmware, does it erase / format the phone like it was brand new from factory. if so, how do i get my apps / contacts back on there?

Thanks!

It does format the phone as you are essentialy replacing the OS with a modified version of the OS. Make sure you have plugged in the phone and made a recent backup prior to jailbreaking. Once iTunes has finished syncing, under "devices"in the left pane, right click the iPhone and select backup. Make sure you have synced contacts to your address book of via mobile me, gmail or some other method that is easily recoverable if restoring from your backup fails for any reason.

Last edited:

debob

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I used your method from the first time you made the post and it was the only way I could get it to work. Thanks for the effort man! Keep it up.

integlspwr

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It does format the phone as you are essentialy replacing the OS with a modified version of the OS. Make sure you have plugged in the phone and made a recent backup prior to jailbreaking. Once iTunes has finished syncing, under "devices"in the left pane, right click the iPhone and select backup. Make sure you have synced contacts to your address book of via mobile me, gmail or some other method that is easily recoverable if restoring from your backup fails for any reason.

thanks man will try it tonight!

Nelli#IM

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello Rusty,
thank you for the detailed walkthrough. I downloaded all three apps following the instructions. HOwever, i was unable to just right click on pwnage but rather had to hold cntl while right clicking. As i opened the pwnage tool the bundle was not found and i when i tried to find it under expert mode, i would it greyed out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nelli

Last edited:

nm4m

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Fail to Apple logo

I have tried the process with the 4.2 Pwnage tools and the 4.3.3.1 Pwnage tools as described here. The Youtube video and links for = How To Jailbreak 4.2.8/4.3.3 & Unlock iPhone 4/3Gs Untethered - Pwnagetool (I can't post links yet).

In either case, after the restore of the custom firmware, I end up at the apple logo. The phone is no longer recognized by iTunes. The only way out each time (I have been through this about a half dozen times today) is to hold down the pwr/home keys for about 18 seconds. Then go through a complete reset / restore / resync.

VzW iPhone 4 running 4.2.8 using the Pwnage 4.3.3.1 and 4.2 tools on an iMac. No idea what the issue is. Look forward to get on the Jailbreak train at a future point.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hello Rusty,
thank you for the detailed walkthrough. I downloaded all three apps following the instructions. HOwever, i was unable to just right click on pwnage but rather had to hold cntl while right clicking. As i opened the pwnage tool the bundle was not found and i when i tried to find it under expert mode, i would it greyed out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nelli

The instruction is not to open pwnage tool but to show the contents of the app. When you control click you should not be selecting "open". Control click and select "show package contents". Follow the file path in the walkthrough to get to the proper folder. Once there you should insert the 4.2.8 bundle into the file. This will give pwnage tool what it needs to properly jailbreak your device. Once it has the bundle you can open it. If you are opening the application prior to injecting the bundle into the program you are doing something wrong in the process.

Don't forget to read, re-read and then read again. If you do a single step incorrectly, the process will fail. Good luck.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the process with the 4.2 Pwnage tools and the 4.3.3.1 Pwnage tools as described here. The Youtube video and links for = How To Jailbreak 4.2.8/4.3.3 & Unlock iPhone 4/3Gs Untethered - Pwnagetool (I can't post links yet).

In either case, after the restore of the custom firmware, I end up at the apple logo. The phone is no longer recognized by iTunes. The only way out each time (I have been through this about a half dozen times today) is to hold down the pwr/home keys for about 18 seconds. Then go through a complete reset / restore / resync.

VzW iPhone 4 running 4.2.8 using the Pwnage 4.3.3.1 and 4.2 tools on an iMac. No idea what the issue is. Look forward to get on the Jailbreak train at a future point.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Best I can do is tell you to attempt the entire process from start to finish using the instructions in this thread. Not sure what the walkthrough you followed is doing but many have found success following the method posted here. Its not a video walkthrough, but if you follow every step to the letter you should be ok.

I also noticed you are using pwnage tool 4.3.3.1. The IOS 4.2.8 bundle that you need to inject into pwnage tool will only work with pwnage tool 4.2. The first post in this thread has all the links you need to get the right software and if you follow each step to the letter you should not have a problem. Good luck with JB.

nm4m

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Best I can do is tell you to attempt the entire process from start to finish using the instructions in this thread. Not sure what the walkthrough you followed is doing but many have found success following the method posted here. Its not a video walkthrough, but if you follow every step to the letter you should be ok.

I also noticed you are using pwnage tool 4.3.3.1. The IOS 4.2.8 bundle that you need to inject into pwnage tool will only work with pwnage tool 4.2. The first post in this thread has all the links you need to get the right software and if you follow each step to the letter you should not have a problem. Good luck with JB.

Ok, thanks. I will try again this evening using those sets of tools.

nm4m

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I tried it again (with the files mentioned in the post) and received a 1601 error. Watched the video regarding 1301 and 16xx errors and went in and looked at the /private/etc/hosts file. It does not have the entries that he directs me to comment out.

nm4m

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Just tried the restore again. It went completely through the restore process this time, but at the end when it is supposed to reboot, it just sits at the apple logo. This is the failure that I have 95% of the time. Regardless of the method (2 of them, 1 with Pwnage 4.3.3.1 and one with 4.2) I have tried to use to jailbreak. This makes about 8 tries so far.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I really do know how frustrating it is to spend that many hours to get nothing from it.

That being said, I'm not sure what more help I can be as my knowledge is severely limited as to what your problem might be caused by. I was trying to use a different method a while back using a custom firmware made on a windows computer and restoring on a Mac and no matter what I did, it just would not jive.

Hopefully someone with a better knowledge base can lend some wisdom. Good luck.

Vic_Mackey

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey Rusty,

Great work man!

I've followed every single step (using the Pwnage 4.2 and correct bundle), and once I select the custom ipsw in iTunes (MAC), I get "the iphone could not be restored. the device isn't eligible for the requested build." Any idea of what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

gc3nz0

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Rusty,
Just jailbroke my iPhone thanks to your instructions. They worked the first try after using other tools all day. Thank you!

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey Rusty,

Great work man!

I've followed every single step (using the Pwnage 4.2 and correct bundle), and once I select the custom ipsw in iTunes (MAC), I get "the iphone could not be restored. the device isn't eligible for the requested build." Any idea of what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks

Not sure if you have used tiny umbrella or anything in the past but this can cause that problem. I would try the fix at the bottom of the original post for the 16xx errors to make sure your host files are not causing the problem. Also, be sure you are getting into DFU mode correctly. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: fl00z

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73