Hi,
    First post here and very very new to iPhones and jailbreaking.
    I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (4.3.3) and I downloaded Redsn0w 0.9.6 rc16.
    I also downloaded iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw but I'm being told that it's not recognized, when I run Redsn0w.

I've had a look at several guides on Youtube. Some tells you to use 4.3.3 and some tells you to use 4.3.2, as it doesn't work on 4.3.3 yet.

I'm confused.
    Any help is much appreciated
    05-28-2011 04:49 AM
    Redsn0w works with the firmware you're currently on; it doesn't update it. Are you already running 4.3.3 when you launch redsn0w?

Mine worked fine with 4.3.3 by the way. What is your process, step by step?
    05-28-2011 07:26 AM
    Hi Massie,

What does it mean that it doesn't update it?
    Does 4.3.2 update it?

I basically downloaded redsnow and 4.3.3. I then connected the iPhone to iTunes and started redsnow. I pointed to the 4.3.3 file, when I was asked to do so. But an error comes up every time.
    The same happens when I point to a 4.3.2 file :-(
    05-28-2011 08:09 AM
    What Massie means is redsn0w will not upgrade your phone from 4.3.1 to 4.3.3 for example. You must upgrade the phone first through iTunes to the firmware you plan to JB. Then you run redsn0w with the firmware you upgraded to. It sounds like either the tool or the firmware you have aren't downloaded properly. If you're on Windows 7 you may also need to set the compatability mode of redsn0w to XP. I would start by going to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak then look up 4.3.3 using redsn0w and use their links to download the tools and firmware again. Get rid of the ones you already have. A few questions what is the name of the firmware/OS file you downloaded? does it end with .ipsw or .zip? does it have neither of those? Finally is your phone unlocked?
    05-28-2011 08:38 AM
    Hi,

I realised what the problem was.
    My laptop (Macbook Pro) basically didn't download the entire file.
    I've done it again and it still looks like it doesn't download the entire 4.3.3 file.
    However, it's working with 4.3.2 and it was a piece of cake.
    iPhone 4 is now jailbroken.

So what do I do, if I want to go from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3?
    And is it important to do this?
    Also, when a new iTunes update is out, is it safe to update?
    And finally, is it business as usual, when I download apps from the app store?

EDIT: I just had a look at Cydia and at the bottom it says iPhone 4 GSM, iOS 4.3.3 Cydia 1.1.1.
    I'm confused now. I thought I'd run the 4.3.2 file, when I did the jailbreak.
    05-28-2011 09:02 AM
    What does it say under Settings>General>About>Version? That is what you're running. Once again, redsn0w does NOT update anythingit only jailbreaks the software you are ALREADY running. Sounds like you are on 4.3.3.

As far as iTunes goes, you can use as normal except for updating. If you update you lose your jb and will have to do it all over again.
    05-28-2011 09:25 AM
    This is why I prefer Pwnage Tool it reloads the whole firmware none of these problems. It's a little more involved but meh can't hurt the user to gain more knowledge. I think your JB questions have been answered just go over the thread once more.
    05-28-2011 09:41 AM
    OK, thanks for all your replies.
    So if I at some stage wants to update from (let's say) iTunes 10 to iTunes 11, would I then still keep all my cydia apps, when I jailbreak the phone again? Would I be able to keep them by backing them up?
    05-28-2011 10:07 AM
    You can update iTunes, just not your phone. iTunes won't back up your cydia apps but there are some jailbreak apps that can help with that.
    05-28-2011 10:19 AM
    Cool, so I guess the way to do it would be to:
    - backup the cydia apps
    - restore phone to factory settings
    - install the update
    - jailbreak phone
    - restore cydia apps

Correct?

Thanks again for all your help :-)
    05-28-2011 10:24 AM
    Pretty much. You don't need to restore to factory firstjust install the new firmware. Depending on your jb method, you will jb after (redsn0w) or load an already jb'ed firmware (Pwnage Tool).

The cydia backup apps aren't perfect; I usually just manually reinstall my cydia apps.
    05-28-2011 11:01 AM
    OK, cool.
    I see what you mean with the cydia apps restore. However, if I've paid for an app, I would prefer not to have to reinstall it again manually (and pay for it). The free ones I'll obviously reinstall, just as you recommend.
    05-28-2011 11:05 AM
    OK, I would follow your advice and manually reinstall them.
    However, it would be handy to be able to restore paid Cydia apps.
    05-28-2011 07:01 PM
    To be clear, you don't have to pay for them again, just sign in and reinstall. If you want to try the backup apps search for AptBackup or PkgBackup.
    05-28-2011 09:29 PM
    Fantastic! For some reason I thought they (neither Cydia or App Store) wouldn't remember if I'd purchased an app, but obviously, with a login + password, you would be hoping they would.
    Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.
    05-29-2011 12:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD