ViPhone iOS 4.2.8 Jailbreak w/ Pwnage Tool 4.2 bundle (Mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Verizon iPhone 4, 4.2.8 Jailbreak on a Mac w/ Pwnage tool walk through

Disclaimer:
This is simply a walk through of how I was able to achieve Jailbreak. Any damage that may occur as a result of following these steps is the responsibility of anyone who chooses to follow them. This method worked without even a hiccup for me, so as far as what might go wrong with yours, my knowledge is limited.

Things you need:
-- Verizon iPhone on iOS 4.2.8
-- Pwnage tool 4.2 can be found here. (this is not the current version of Pwnage tool)
-- Pwnage tool bundle 4.2 Can be found here.
-- iOS 4.2.8 restore firmware Can be found here.

Once you have everything, unzip the Pwnage tool to a new folder on your desktop that you label ?Pwnage?. Once unzipped, right click the Pwnage app icon (should be a grey pineapple). Select "show package contents" from the drop down menu. Open the "contents" folder. Once you're in the "contents" folder, open the folder labeled "resources". Now that you are in the "resources" folder, scroll down to the folder labeled "firmware bundles" and open it. Now that you have the "firmware bundles" file open, drag and drop the firmware bundle you downloaded (not the restore firmware) into this file at the bottom of the list. This should update Pwnage 4.2 with the files necessary to build a custom firmware for Verizon?s 4.2.8 software. Video tutorial for this step can be found here.

After updating the pwnage software, open Pwnage Tool application and select ?iPhone 4? and ?Expert Mode?. Point Pwnage Tool to the existing 4.2.8 restore firmware you downloaded by selecting ?browse for ipsw?. Select ?general?, make sure none of the boxes are checked. Advance Pwnage Tool passed ?cydia packages? and ?custom packages? without changing anything. Select ?Build? to build the custom ipsw.

Once built, follow the onscreen instructions for putting your phone in DFU mode. Once in DFU mode, iTunes will recognize there is a device connected that is in DFU. When you click ?restore? button, make sure you are holding the ?alt/option? key of your keyboard when you click the restore button!. If you are given the option to choose from a folder, you have done this correctly. Choose the custom ipsw file you just created with Pwnage Tool and let iTunes finish the job for you.

As I said, using this method I did not get a single error or have a single problem and it is an untethered Jailbreak. Good luck and enjoy! :)

:eek:For those wanting skip the mess of building your own custom firmware, Chirmer has been kind enough to host a pre-built custom firmware here. If you wish you can use Pwnage tool for the soul purpose of putting your phone in DFU mode. Simply select the DFU button, follow the on screen instructions, and restore using the custom firmware. Don't forget to thank Chirmer.

Update:
It appears the 4.2.8 bundle necessary to modify Pwnage tool 4.2, making the tool work has been pulled from the hotfile location where it was posted. :mad: Without this bundle Pwnage tool will not properly build the custom ipsw. If anyone has any ideas of where to get this bundle, hit me up and I will make adjustments in the post. Meanwhile, the link given by the iPhone Dev Team on there site for Pwnage tool 4.2 is here. Unless the bundle is hosted by someone else I'm afraid this method is no more. Any ideas, let me know.

Update:
Have changed the links to mediafire locations currently hosting the files. Let me know whether or not they work. Bring on the JB!

Update:
Changed walk through instructions to show the process for updating Pwnage tool with the bundle for those not able to find the tutorial within the bundle.

Last edited:

jmill79

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
YESSSSSSSSS.....This is actually how I finally got mine back to JB this morning. I had searched for hours and restored so many times it was ridiculous (i kept trying to use the newest version of the tool). But I kept searching and finally found the 4.2 version and it worked on the very first try!

Where were you a couple days ago, when all of my mayhem started, lol!!

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Dude, not to get off-topic, but your username is awesome! We seem to have quite a few KotH fans in the forums :D

On topic - this is how I JB my iPhone yesterday too! Great walkthrough :)

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Dude, not to get off-topic, but your username is awesome! We seem to have quite a few KotH fans in the forums :D

On topic - this is how I JB my iPhone yesterday too! Great walkthrough :)

The way i see it is we all have a little of the KotH in us to some degree. Cant decide who I like more though.....Hank or Dale.......probably Dale, but Hank is a very close second. :) But seriously, I'm just glad its working out for you guys.

phil1995

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Unknown Error when loading custome build

I followed the instructions above. When the phone entered DFU mode, I selected the Custom IOS file. After a few minutes of preparing the phone, I get an unknown error.

Any idea what I did wrong here?

cubsfan61

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm wanting to jailbreak my 4.2.8 Verizon iPhone on a mac. Was going to follow your tutorial, but everywhere I look, the link to the Pwnage Tool Bundle goes to a Hotfile page where the file has been removed. Does anyone have a link to the bundle or would anyone be willing to email the file?

Kevin

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm wanting to jailbreak my 4.2.8 Verizon iPhone on a mac. Was going to follow your tutorial, but everywhere I look, the link to the Pwnage Tool Bundle goes to a Hotfile page where the file has been removed. Does anyone have a link to the bundle or would anyone be willing to email the file?

Kevin

Here ya go! Took a while (big file) but I plopped it in my dropbox for you and anyone else who needs the Pwnage Tool file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12034840/PwnageTool_4.2.dmg

cubsfan61

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey Chirmer. Thanks for the 4.2 pwnage tool dmg! Don't I still need the 4.2.8 bundle though, that needs to be copied into the FirmwareBundles folder of Pwnage tool? Thanks again.

Kevin

anon4705295

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey Chirmer. Thanks for the 4.2 pwnage tool dmg! Don't I still need the 4.2.8 bundle though, that needs to be copied into the FirmwareBundles folder of Pwnage tool? Thanks again.

Kevin

Ah oops, I misread that's what you need. My bad haha! I'm uploading the ipsw right now... but it says it's gonna take an hour... so you might wanna check back haha. As soon as it's uploaded I'll post it for ya!

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll do some looking and see if I can find it somewhere else. Without the file for 4.2.8 that you imbed in Pwnage 4.2 the jailbreak wont work.

Update:
Everything i am finding is pointing back to the hotfile locationa and has been pulled for whatever reason. I found the actual source of Pwnage tool 4.2 on the dev teams site, but they dont have the 4.2.8 bundle listed. Without the patch it will not produce a proper ipsw. I will keep looking.

Last edited:

pete5240

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll do some looking and see if I can find it somewhere else. Without the file for 4.2.8 that you imbed in Pwnage 4.2 the jailbreak wont work.

Update:
Everything i am finding is pointing back to the hotfile locationa and has been pulled for whatever reason. I found the actual source of Pwnage tool 4.2 on the dev teams site, but they dont have the 4.2.8 bundle listed. Without the patch it will not produce a proper ipsw. I will keep looking.

Thanks...I've been finding the same. :mad:

I'll report back here as well if I find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro