ViPhone iOS 4.2.8 Jailbreak w/ Pwnage Tool 4.2 bundle (Mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

debob

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Used this tutorial and it helped a ton, and I have the links necessary to download the files...however because I have less than 10 posts I can't post them. :(

debob

May 24, 2011
Visit site
add https:

//rapidshare.com/files/139368563/Verizon-4.2.8-PT-bundle.zip

add http:

//hotfile.com/dl/118746898/70dcb6a/Verizon-4.2.8-PT-bundle.zip.html

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Used this tutorial and it helped a ton, and I have the links necessary to download the files...however because I have less than 10 posts I can't post them. :(

If you pm me with the links I'll add to the links in the post as alternate download locations. Glad to hear it helped. :)

I did find some links so the walkthrough is workable again. I have changed the links to links that are currently active for download.

Last edited:

debob

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you pm me with the links I'll add to the links in the post as alternate download locations. Glad to hear it helped. :)

I did find some links so the walkthrough is workable again. I have changed the links to links that are currently active for download.

I can't pm until after 15 posts...so no go on that either. Glad to see that you got working links posted though.

azntonyking

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Didn't work out for me. I kept getting 1600 error when I tried to restore with the custom firmware. My phone was stuck on the apple reboot logo for awhile (10 minutes) and wouldnt reboot. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I've followed all of the instructions to a T but it still couldn't jailbreak my phone.

Good guide though. Maybe its just me and my iphone. Oh well.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
1601 is a host issue. There are several places online that show how to clear the host files out to eliminate this error. I will see if I can find a link to a good one.

Zac7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Tutorial

I downloaded the iPhone .bundle file and don't see the tutorial inside. I want to make sure I am drag the correct file into pwnage tool. I read on another site to just take the iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401.bundle and drag it into the correct file inside of pwnage tool?

It states to unzip to a folder and rename pwnage, I did that, but I am unsure if the folder goes into Pwnage tool or the .bundle file. Anyone have the tutorial file that is supposed to be include in the .zip? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to jailbreak vzw iphone 4.2.8 a few times and kept getting stuck on the apple logo after the custom file restored. I want to make sure I do this absolutely to the T.

Thanks,

azntonyking

May 21, 2011
Visit site
^^ same boat. From what I understood on the tutorial, you're supposed to place the bundled 4.2.8 file inside of pwnage tool along with the other bundle files.

Zac7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
That is what I saw on other sites, but those ways haven't worked yet for me. I keep getting stuck on the apple logo after it seems like everything works and the phone is booting up. It threw me off when in the description it says unzip the .bundle and rename it to a folder "pwnage". So, another question comes up about whether the folder should be dropped in or the .bundle file. It doesn't make sense to put the folder in because it wouldn't match any of the other files in firmware updates, but I want to be sure before I try one last time. I am getting sick of screwing up and restoring for an hour. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
That is what I saw on other sites, but those ways haven't worked yet for me. I keep getting stuck on the apple logo after it seems like everything works and the phone is booting up. It threw me off when in the description it says unzip the .bundle and rename it to a folder "pwnage". So, another question comes up about whether the folder should be dropped in or the .bundle file. It doesn't make sense to put the folder in because it wouldn't match any of the other files in firmware updates, but I want to be sure before I try one last time. I am getting sick of screwing up and restoring for an hour. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

^^ same boat. From what I understood on the tutorial, you're supposed to place the bundled 4.2.8 file inside of pwnage tool along with the other bundle files.

I downloaded the iPhone .bundle file and don't see the tutorial inside. I want to make sure I am drag the correct file into pwnage tool. I read on another site to just take the iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401.bundle and drag it into the correct file inside of pwnage tool?

It states to unzip to a folder and rename pwnage, I did that, but I am unsure if the folder goes into Pwnage tool or the .bundle file. Anyone have the tutorial file that is supposed to be include in the .zip? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to jailbreak vzw iphone 4.2.8 a few times and kept getting stuck on the apple logo after the custom file restored. I want to make sure I do this absolutely to the T.

Thanks,

I have changed the original post to better clarify the process for the missing tutorial that was with the bundle originally. Should make more sense now.

Last edited:

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Didn't work out for me. I kept getting 1600 error when I tried to restore with the custom firmware. My phone was stuck on the apple reboot logo for awhile (10 minutes) and wouldnt reboot. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm pretty sure I've followed all of the instructions to a T but it still couldn't jailbreak my phone.

Good guide though. Maybe its just me and my iphone. Oh well.

This is the method I used for bypassing the 1601 error i was getting when trying to jailbreak with another method, but it is said to bee a fix for any of the 16xx errors. Use it at your own risk, but this is what I did and I haven't had a 16xx error since. Also, check and double check that you have edited Pwnage tool properly and built the custom firmware properly.

If you are using Mac?s OS X platform, follow the steps outlined below;

--Select the Terminal application, which is found in the Utilities menu.
--In the command line, copy and paste, ?sudo nano /etc/hosts?, and click ENTER. Do not copy the parentheses.
--You may need to enter the password to gain entry into the subfolder. When you are in the folder, you need to find gs.apple.com in the Host file.
--You can remove gs.apple.com by placing a number sign (#) in front of the entry.
--You can save the file by hitting CTRL+O.
--The last step involves restoring the device on the Mac system you just fixed. If you restore your device on another system, the changes will not fix the iTunes error. After you have restored the device, everything should work well.

Last edited:

twarren22

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Please help!! when i try to drag the firmware bundle into pwnage tool it gives me a little circle with a line through and doesn't allow me to insert it. Ever heard of this happening? thanks in advance!

garfield#IM

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The Only 4.2.8 Bundle Available

Just registered to say thanks for submitting (and linking to) a hosted 4.2.8 bundle. I couldn't find one anywhere else on the internet.

Really appreciate it - thanks.

twarren22

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Please help!! when i try to drag the firmware bundle into pwnage tool it gives me a little circle with a line through and doesn't allow me to insert it. Ever heard of this happening? thanks in advance!

scratch that. now i upload the new firmware i downloaded into pwnage tool and it says it's the wrong one. any idea whats wrong?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
scratch that. now i upload the new firmware i downloaded into pwnage tool and it says it's the wrong one. any idea whats wrong?

I'm not sure I entirely understand what the problem is. Best advice I can give you is start with a clean slate from the beginning reading and re-reading the walkthrough to make absolutely sure you are doing everything right. Also, watch the video tutorial closely to make sure you are putting the right file in the right place. I can't count the times when I've thought I followed the directions to the letter and just missed a very small thing. Good luck.

Zac7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is the method I used for bypassing the 1601 error i was getting when trying to jailbreak with another method, but it is said to bee a fix for any of the 16xx errors. Use it at your own risk, but this is what I did and I haven't had a 16xx error since. Also, check and double check that you have edited Pwnage tool properly and built the custom firmware properly.

If you are using Mac?s OS X platform, follow the steps outlined below;

--Select the Terminal application, which is found in the Utilities menu.
--In the command line, copy and paste, ?sudo nano /etc/hosts?, and click ENTER. Do not copy the parentheses.
--You may need to enter the password to gain entry into the subfolder. When you are in the folder, you need to find gs.apple.com in the Host file.
--You can remove gs.apple.com by placing a number sign (#) in front of the entry.
--You can save the file by hitting CTRL+O.
--The last step involves restoring the device on the Mac system you just fixed. If you restore your device on another system, the changes will not fix the iTunes error. After you have restored the device, everything should work well.

I have a question regarding this fix. Once I copy past "sudo nano /etc/hosts" into terminal and hit enter and enter my password I get a screen below. The screen below has some number signs and then along the bottom almost options like ^A does something and so on. My question is how do I naviagte to find the gs.apple.com file to put the # infront of?

Then the other question is do I need to restore the iPhone before trying to restore the custom ipsw to jailbreak?

Thanks

azntonyking

May 21, 2011
Visit site
For those having trouble: chirmer's custom firmware that he put in his dropbox saved me.

I am now a proud owner of a jailbroken iphone.

Tips for those that may/may not need them:
1)Make sure you're on DFU mode.
2)Make sure you don't have iTunes running when you're trying to put it in DFU mode.
3)If you're using pwnage tools to put your iPhone in DFU mode do not have iTunes running in background either.
4)Those of you suffering from a 1600 error, the easiest thing for me was to uninstall iTunes and install iTunes 10.1.
5)Another problem that I had was tinyumbrella: this was the sole reason I was getting so many damn errors in iTunes. If you have tinyumbrella and are using it;
MAKE SURE YOU DO THE FOLLOWING STEP:
Open tinyumbrella and click on the advanced tab. Uncheck the box that says: "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit". Then exit and redo your restore all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox