Going back to TeamPure...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Lately I've been experiencing a lot of weirdness with apps not working correctly (can't do screen print, for example), sluggishness, horrid battery life, etc... was running 4.2.1 with Greenp0ison jailbreak...

This morning I hit my breaking point and did a restore and update to 4.3.3...

I can't imagine that I'll remain with TeamPure for very long... but had to see how the "other half" lived...

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i completely understand. every time i see my screen stutter or app freeze i often think "now what?" anytime my battery life goes a little faster than i anticipate i am always looking at the fact something must be running in the background and causing this..

lately i have narrowed down my reasoning for jailbreaking and it is as follows:

biteSMS, LockInfo, FullScreen for Safari, ScreenDimmer, iFile

then i ask myself "how important are these to me, really?" also, as of late i have found myself getting tired of the micro-managing.. if you really think about it Apple's system does indeed work, it may not be the greatest but it does work

in fact i am restoring as new right now as i type. for some reason every time i do this i feel compelled to jailbreak and do it all over again lol!

fingers crossed for leaps & bounds with iOS 5!

let's see how long we can do this for, Hank :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting topic?for me, jailbreaking has always been about little tweaks and a few apps that add a lot. And for jb apps, I only use a few tried-and-trusted few: biteSMS and Lockinfo are really the only full third party apps I run. I don't do any heavy theming?most people looking at my phone probably don't realize it's jb-ed?so those small things let me run lean and mean, but I can't imagine the phone without them.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Unbelievable !

lasted a little over 4 hours and i am jailbroken again... gonna keep it light. i have a problem i think :D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
BLiNK you are the one person I never have to worry about going to the darkside and by darkside yes I do mean Team Pure lol. I too find it funny when people say they have issues with JB but then I have to remember most people don't use their phones like I do. I'm in Wifi 90% of my day so in 4 years I have never had a data plan on my iPhones and so my 3G is always off. When I JB the biggest things are BiteSMS, iFile, SBSettings and OpenSSH. I will try little tweaks but very rarely for instance since I've been on 4.3.2 I have only installed Better white labels and ShowCase that is it. I am heavy into theming but I take apart the themes I like and learn how the element goes together and incorporate it into a master theme. So in my Winterboard I only have three things right now my theme, my lockscreen and better white labels. I work in an office so I plug my phone in at the very least 4 times a day and I only SSH in while my phone is connected to the laptop and charging so no loss of juice. I will NEVER ever ever go to Team Pure because it sucks. I just changed the sound for sent text messages, sent email message to custom tones when you can do that on stock firmware I might consider it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been "pure" for about 5 hours now and already miss several tweaks... mostly BiteSMS, LockInfo, SBSettings and a couple of tweaks for marking emails read/archived... the other stuff I can live without...

I never realized how plain ugly/boring my lockscreen is with out LockInfo...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm glad that in jailbreaking I don't care to piece-meal things together like I used to in the past.
The only thing I care about is having a mail icon on my taskbar if I get mail, using winterboard to
make the mail sound have a volume boost, and unlimited Pandora skipping hack.

Other things would make my battery go crazy I fear.

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting thread. I JB my ViP within a week or so of getting it and have occasionally thought about going "pure." However, coming from a BB there were some tweaks that I needed to make me comfortable with the ViP.

In that time I've downloaded (and paid for) a lot of themes and tweaks from Cydia; I don't use most of them anymore. However, I don't think that I would be happy with my ViP without apps like MyProfiles, AutoResponder, BiteSMS, iFile, OpenSSH, SBSettings, SpringMe, WeatherIcon, and 5-Row Keyboard. I also like to use a theme (currently UINique HD or REDDIMblue HD), and with the help of Ipheuria I learned how to customize and use just the parts of the theme that I want to apply. ;)

I've been thinking about doing a full reset on my ViP so I have a "clean slate" and can use the "pure" version for a while. I don't think that I'd last more than an hour or so that way, but then I'd only reinstall the Cydia apps that I actually use. This thread is definitely making me seriously consider that option. That leads me to the question, do I stick with 4.2.6 and use Greenpois0n to JB or do I update to 4.2.8 and JB with sn0wbreeze? I've been quite happy and comfortable with 4.2.6 and Greenpois0n.

P.S. Hank, are you still "Team Pure"?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
just to add to my OCD about every 3-4 weeks i do a restore as new and re-jailbreak... no particular reason

my device feels fresh and "new" after doing this but i am sure nothing has changed

mededitor

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
just to add to my OCD about every 3-4 weeks i do a restore as new and re-jailbreak... no particular reason

my device feels fresh and "new" after doing this but i am sure nothing has changed

That's exactly what I want to do. I have to admit to some OCD about these things :))) and I've actually had to stop myself from doing it. I'm not sure why I'm stopping myself, although I also admit to some paranoia :)eek:) and I'm terrified that if I do a reset/restore then I won't be able to JB again (eg, crashes, freezes).

What to do...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
P.S. Hank, are you still "Team Pure"?

Yep... 13 hours and I'm not shaking too badly... :)

The battery life is amazing with a pure device... close to the same usage (ok, less "fiddling"), and I'm at 79% still...

But I hear BiteSMS and his friends calling my name...

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I am still on The Scrub Team Pure (Not a starter :))

It is not horrible, I miss BiteSMS and Lockinfo A LOT, but I need to stay pure for a awhile. I manage the mobile devices at my company and we are starting to look into MDM solutions that look for Jailbroken signatures. Really iOS is pretty secure, until you Jailbreak it, so our InfoSec team is big on jailbreak prevention :(

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
mededitor if you go pure your phone will be upgraded to 4.2.8 through iTunes. If you have your SHSH blobs saved for 4.2.6 then you could downgrade but it's such a pain in my opinion. So if you do decide to go pure I saw get Sn0wbreeze and do 4.2.8 just make sure you put it in Expert Mode and uncheck Activate the phone because you're not unlocked.

BLiNK all I can say is WOW to your 3-4 weeks reload of the phone. I never ever reload my phone once it's JBen and setup the way I want it just hums along perfectly. Until the next OS upgrade that I think is worthwhile and I have to do a re-JB that is when I reload the OS using Pwnage Tool. I think it comes from the first iPhones I had where I skipped 1 sometimes 2 whole firmware steps ie. stayed on 1.x until 3.x.

Reactions: mededitor

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
haha, in the beginning of my jailbreak adventure i was downloading all kinds of crazy crap, even things i probably wasn't supposed to. i always felt even after removing them from Cydia was not good enough. so that it why i started doing it and now it is just second nature and not as time consuming like it used be

after a while it makes you really think about what you want to put back on your device and i have learned a lot from doing this as well

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Aww, man, I just saw Dave's tweet (twitter.com/Stimpy5050) that he has integrated BiteSMS's QuickCompose into the Favorites plugin in Lockinfo... the forces are calling and pulling...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner