Hi all,

I have a iPhone 4 which had baseband 01.59 and iOS 4.0.
    I went to jailbreakme.com from my iPhone.
    Then, I deleted all contacts and content from the iPhone as I was going to sell it.
    Afterwards, it reset and only had the apple logo on the screen. I repeated attempted to reset - still only has the apple logo.

When I hold power+home for a bit, I get the prompt to plug USB and open iTunes. When this is completed, I get a message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

When I click OK, it says "Your iPhone software is up to date..." And "If you are experiencing problems with your iPhone, you can restore to its original setting by clicking Restore."

I attempted to restore with the latest firmware and get an error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." If I press option+restore and select a previous software, I still get the same error.

Any idea on how I can even get this to even work again?

Thanks,
    Mark
    05-17-2011 11:47 PM
    Dont know what the equivalent is for a mac but on a pc the hosts file can be altered to point to cydia, BUT if it is doing that you cannot put a newer OS on the phone as itunes detects this alteration. But that alteration will allow you to put 4.0 back on if you have shsh saved on cydia so I would try 4.0 that way, and if doesnt work see if your file is or isnt changed. Might be easier using a pc that hasnt had the hosts changed if you truely want to upgrade to newest OS. Use tiny umbrella to put newer OS on but keep that special 1.59 baseband

Hi all,

I have a iPhone 4 which had baseband 01.59 and iOS 4.0.
    I went to jailbreakme.com from my iPhone.
    Then, I deleted all contacts and content from the iPhone as I was going to sell it.
    Afterwards, it reset and only had the apple logo on the screen. I repeated attempted to reset - still only has the apple logo.

When I hold power+home for a bit, I get the prompt to plug USB and open iTunes. When this is completed, I get a message: "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes."

When I click OK, it says "Your iPhone software is up to date..." And "If you are experiencing problems with your iPhone, you can restore to its original setting by clicking Restore."

I attempted to restore with the latest firmware and get an error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build." If I press option+restore and select a previous software, I still get the same error.

Any idea on how I can even get this to even work again?

Thanks,
    Mark
    05-18-2011 01:10 AM
    I had this problem when restoring my jailbroken iPhone back to stock. What I had to do is I had to create another username on my computer, and redownload the software on that username. Then when it was in the restore process it gave me iTunes error 1013. So I had to edit the host files. Edit the host files by doing the following
    Step 1. On your Mac, go to your Applications folder.

Step 2. Now navigate to the Utilities folder.

Step 3. Launch "Terminal".

Step 4. Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.

Step 5. Enter your password

Step 6. Use the down arrow key to find the gs.apple.com entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering # in front of the text.

Step 7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.

Step 8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.

Step 9. Restore your iDevice.

Windows:

Step 1. Start > Programs > Accessories
    Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
    Step 3. Click Open.. from File menu.
    Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
    Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
    Step 6. Open "hosts"
    Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
    Step 8. Hit Save
    Step 9. Restore your device

After I did that it worked. You can try altering the host files before you make the other username, I don't know of that will solve it, but that's the way and order I had to do things to update my iPhone when I restored from being jalbroke. Also I believe the editing host files will fix iTunes error 3194 as well
    05-18-2011 09:19 AM
    Do a search for threads created by me I wrote a thread about editing your hosts file on Mac or Windows plus info on Tiny Umbrella settings.
    05-18-2011 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD