I have scoured the forums and found a few threads about backing up/restoring JB Cydia apps using AptBackup, but my question is about the non-jailbreak apps and settings...

Hypothetical situation:

I am jailbroken. I use my phone for a few weeks this way, using a few JB apps etc. but then decide that I want to restore to un-jailbroken state. I know that this is easy enough just using the restore feature in itunes, but what about backing up my app data and settings before I do the restore so I can then restore all of my stock apps/settings etc.?

I made a backup BEFORE I jailbroke, so I can always restore to that point, but what about new contacts that I added since being jailbroken or new apps from the app store that I have installed, or any additional information/documents within my stock/apple apps that I do not want to lose in the process of restoring my phone?

From what I have gathered, it sounds like if I do a backup in itunes while my phone is jailbroken, then try to restore it later, I will run into problems. What I am looking for here is a safe emergency exit from being jailbroken. I don't want to lose photos, text messages, contacts etc. in the process of restoring to factory settings.

Any ideas/suggestions? THanks in advance
    05-14-2011 03:56 PM
    All Apple App Store data that would be saved during a sync on a non-jb device is saved on a jb device. If you want to get rid of the jailbreak just sync, restore, sync to backup and it's going to be there.
    05-15-2011 01:54 AM
    All Apple App Store data that would be saved during a sync on a non-jb device is saved on a jb device. If you want to get rid of the jailbreak just sync, restore, sync to backup and it's going to be there.
    But won't this leave behind files from the jb and take up space that I can't get back?
    05-15-2011 07:00 PM
    From what I have gathered, it sounds like if I do a backup in itunes while my phone is jailbroken, then try to restore it later, I will run into problems.
    I have done this several times over the last few years and never had a problem updating or restoring a backup that was sync'd while jailbroken. Earlier today I was jailbroken on 4.3.2 -- I plugged in my iPhone to iTunes let it do a backup (which I do a couple times everyday anyway), then updated to 4.3.3 and redsn0w jailbroke again -- no problems and I was up and running again in under an hour.
    05-15-2011 07:43 PM
    But won't this leave behind files from the jb and take up space that I can't get back?
    Definitely not if you restore -- not entirely sure with an update, but I updated from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 earlier today and it seems very "clean." I usually do a restore then reload my latest backup, but today I did the update and it was much simpler and faster.
    eye4ni likes this.
    05-15-2011 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD