Build ipsw with snowbreeze, load on mac?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
To the true Guru's out there, I pose this question:

Could I build the necessary custom ipsw file for JB with snowbreeze on a PC, transfer the file to my mac, Put the phone in DFU and restore from that file?

Reason is, I have access to a PC, but everything I have is mac. If it works it seems like it would be a pretty simple JB solution to create the custom file on the PC and enter DFU from the mac I have all my backups and files on.

Thoughts?

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Why not just use Pwnagetool (recommend) and create the custom firmware on the Mac? As to your question, it should work since you can use the custom firmware, create from Pwnagetool, on Windows.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It will work fine it's just an ipsw I've built many on my Mac with Pwnage Tool for people who had Windows and couldn't build their own ipsw. However like someone said why not just use Pwnage Tool which is the exact same thing for Mac. If you want to go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. Wasn't sure if pwnage tool would work as I'm on 4.2.8.

That being said, can you use pwnage tool with ViPhone 4.2.8? I was under the impression it only worked with the GSM 4.3.3. Stupid fragmentation.

Update: just tried pwnage tool with the 4.2.8 software. No go. Gave me an error "wrong firmware selected". Going to move forward with the PC option and hope it works.

Last edited:

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys. Wasn't sure if pwnage tool would work as I'm on 4.2.8.

That being said, can you use pwnage tool with ViPhone 4.2.8? I was under the impression it only worked with the GSM 4.3.3. Stupid fragmentation.

Update: just tried pwnage tool with the 4.2.8 software. No go. Gave me an error "wrong firmware selected". Going to move forward with the PC option and hope it works.

build the custom ipsw on a windows machine with sn0wbreeze and then transfer that to your mac. download the latest redsn0w and whatever the firmware that works with that program(i'm assuming your gonna have to download iOS 4.3.3) and then run it and deselect everything and leave only "pwned dfu mode" checked. once you've done all the required instructions to put your phone on "pwned dfu mode(the screen must be black)" your gonna want to open iTunes and it should detect your iPhone on "recovery mode" and you hold "alt/opt" and click on restore and select the sn0wbreeze custom firmware that you grabbed from your windows machine. if you get an error after the restoration, you should download "fixrecovery" from the Tiny Umbrella website and unzip it. there's gonna be 2 files in that folder and you run "fixrecovery421" since your still under the 4.2 firmware. in order for the script to work, you must put your iPhone in dfu mode without the help of redsn0w. you can do this process by holding the power/sleep button and home button for 10 seconds and then releasing the power/sleep button and keep holding the home button for another 10 seconds(again, your screen should be black after your successfully reach dfu mode). the script should detect the dfu mode as soon as you've done it correctly. the script will now run some codes(similar to the greenpois0n jailbreak) and your iPhone should now be out of recovery mode and jailbroken on iOS 4.2.8!

if you don't want to go through all of that process...i highly suggest that you just do the entire sn0wbreeze jailbreak and restore to an iTunes on a windows machine and you shouldn't run into any problems. as soon as your phone reaches the lockscreen you can just unplug it and then plug it to your mac and have it set to that computer and you should be able to sync all of your stuff back. iPhone's can sync with both windows & mac unlike iPod's, so you won't have to worry about that!

Last edited:
Reactions: AlwaysAnxious

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. You guys are awesome. Using snowbreeze 2.7 to build the custom file. Gonna try and restore to the file using DFU mode from pwnage tool. Hopefully I don't brick this thing. I will update with results. Hopefully with a big smiley face. :)

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. You guys are awesome. Using snowbreeze 2.7 to build the custom file. Gonna try and restore to the file using DFU mode from pwnage tool. Hopefully I don't brick this thing. I will update with results. Hopefully with a big smiley face. :)

the dfu feature on pwnagetool works too! infact it's hassle free because you won't have to download any firmware aside from the 4.2.8(if you don't have it).

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP sorry I didn't know you were on 4.2.8 otherwise I wouldn't have suggested Pwnage Tool. I can't beleive it's such a difficult process it's just firmware so you should just be able to build it with Sn0wbreeze on the Windows machine then copy it over to the Mac put your iPhone in DFU mode open iTunes and hold the Option key down and click Restore. It will ask you to point to the firmware and reload the phone. Sn0wbreeze does a complete reload of your phone so make sure you backup and sync your phone before you start the process. If you do have to do all the other stuff post up and let me know because I try to help people all the time so I try to keep up on the info for the different methods. I usually try to keep the process as simple as possible to get it done.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
No worries Ipheuria. I appreciate any help.

Update on the attempt:

-- Built the custom ipsw file with snowbreeze on a PC
-- Transfered to the Mac
-- Pwnage tool was perfect for entering DFU mode
-- Phone went through the entire restore process but failed when authenticating with apple
-- Ended up restoring the stock firmware until the next attempt.

Next question would be, could it have failed because of the ipsw's file name? The custom file made by snowbreeze is "sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-4.2.8.ipsw" does that need to be changed to"iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw" for apple to authenticate the firmware?

Thoughts?

Update 2:
Changed the file name to match and got a 1601 error on restore so as far as my knowledge will take me, I am going to probably wait for a more upfront solution or wait to hear from the experts on the issue. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try a couple more times and will post if there are any changes.

Last edited:

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
No worries Ipheuria. I appreciate any help.

Update on the attempt:

-- Built the custom ipsw file with snowbreeze on a PC
-- Transfered to the Mac
-- Pwnage tool was perfect for entering DFU mode
-- Phone went through the entire restore process but failed when authenticating with apple
-- Ended up restoring the stock firmware until the next attempt.

Next question would be, could it have failed because of the ipsw's file name? The custom file made by snowbreeze is "sn0wbreeze_iPhone 4-4.2.8.ipsw" does that need to be changed to"iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_Restore.ipsw" for apple to authenticate the firmware?

Thoughts?

Update 2:
Changed the file name to match and got a 1601 error on restore so as far as my knowledge will take me, I am going to probably wait for a more upfront solution or wait to hear from the experts on the issue. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try a couple more times and will post if there are any changes.

like i said from my first post...you have to download "fixrecovery" from the tiny umbrella website. once you unzip that you use "fixrecovery421" and put your iPhone on DFU Mode without any help from the jb programs. this should get you out of recovery mode and back to your homescreen. everything should be jailbroken and cydia should be there. fixrecovery is like the new version of Tiny Umbrella's "Kick Out Of Recovery" feature in the Tiny Umbrella app. as much times as you try to restore from a custom firmware that's made from sn0wbreeze, your gonna keep getting an error because your restoring from a mac. the only way for you to restore on mac is to put your iPhone in Pwned DFU mode and restore to the sn0wbreeze firmware. your gonna get an error after the restoration finishes and it'll leave your phone in recovery mode. so you use fixrecover421 to get it out!

the reason why i'm suggesting on using the jb tools to put your iphone in dfu mode is to make the jailbreak successful. regular dfu is different from the pwned dfu mode. the exploit of the jailbreak is used when you put your iPhone through pwned dfu mode with the help of either redsn0w/pwnagetool/sn0wbreeze!

Last edited:
Reactions: AlwaysAnxious

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Error 1601 means that the host file has been modified. On your Mac, open Terminal and type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" sans quotes. Edit out any host files by putting a number sign in front of them, then save it.

Alveezy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Error 1601 means that the host file has been modified. On your Mac, open Terminal and type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" sans quotes. Edit out any host files by putting a number sign in front of them, then save it.

that could be the problem too...but if you've never used Tiny Umbrella before then you shouldn't have any errors...

cody

May 17, 2006
Visit site
Nice thread you guys. I failed with snowbreeze 3 nights ago. Took the ipsw and saved it on my Mac. Tried doing what the op did and failed as well. All this was with out pwnage tool.

Going to use the pointers here and try again tomorrow. My family pc suck. Vista.

Thanks, Cody

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Again, thank you everybody for the info. This has turned into what I would consider a very productive thread.

I will keep moving forward with this and post results. If nothing more it can serve as a "what doesn't work" thread for any other curious jailbreakers. Thanks again.

AlwaysAnxious

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
build the custom ipsw on a windows machine with sn0wbreeze and then transfer that to your mac. download the latest redsn0w and whatever the firmware that works with that program(i'm assuming your gonna have to download iOS 4.3.3) and then run it and deselect everything and leave only "pwned dfu mode" checked. once you've done all the required instructions to put your phone on "pwned dfu mode(the screen must be black)" your gonna want to open iTunes and it should detect your iPhone on "recovery mode" and you hold "alt/opt" and click on restore and select the sn0wbreeze custom firmware that you grabbed from your windows machine. if you get an error after the restoration, you should download "fixrecovery" from the Tiny Umbrella website and unzip it. there's gonna be 2 files in that folder and you run "fixrecovery421" since your still under the 4.2 firmware. in order for the script to work, you must put your iPhone in dfu mode without the help of redsn0w. you can do this process by holding the power/sleep button and home button for 10 seconds and then releasing the power/sleep button and keep holding the home button for another 10 seconds(again, your screen should be black after your successfully reach dfu mode). the script should detect the dfu mode as soon as you've done it correctly. the script will now run some codes(similar to the greenpois0n jailbreak) and your iPhone should now be out of recovery mode and jailbroken on iOS 4.2.8!

if you don't want to go through all of that process...i highly suggest that you just do the entire sn0wbreeze jailbreak and restore to an iTunes on a windows machine and you shouldn't run into any problems. as soon as your phone reaches the lockscreen you can just unplug it and then plug it to your mac and have it set to that computer and you should be able to sync all of your stuff back. iPhone's can sync with both windows & mac unlike iPod's, so you won't have to worry about that!

I was in the same situation as the original poster. I followed Alveezy's directions and it worked. I did get the error and had to resort to FixRecovery, but all is working now. Fantastic, thank you!

Oh, I almost forgot. I had to use 4.3.1 to get Redsn0w going. 4.3.3 did not work.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP I would say your hosts file needs to be edited I wrote it all up search for posts I've started and you'll find it. One question Sn0wbreeze is going to wipe your phone so why not just do the JB on the Windows machine? if it's never been used to JB the hosts fike should be fine and you shouldn't have a problem :confused: but anyway it's an extra option for you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR