Wow Sn0wbreeze must really do a number on the ipsw I've built so many custom firmware for Windows users using Pwnage Tool and the majority of them had no problem reloading with them. Well keep us informed don't forget to check out my thread to make sure your settings are all good to go.
    05-17-2011 12:40 PM
    No go. Rebuilt the ipsw and nothing. Thanks to all who lent a hand. I think its time for my phone to take a break. Just got my element pro black oops case in the mail so some of the sting of failure is relieved. Thanks again guys.
    05-18-2011 09:49 PM
    Alveezy. As stated, I followed your method to the letter twice now. The error code it is throwing is not 1xxx of any kind. It is not completing the restore process entirely before throwing the code because apple is recognizing it as an older software version. As a result, using fix recovery does not fix the issue because even after it runs the phone does not have all it needs.

That being said, it must be an issue with the firmware as indicated by Ipheuria. I am going to rebuild the firmware today and make sure I did so properly and will then try again.

Also, I am not posting because I am desperate for jailbreak and I absolutely have to accomplish it this way. I just want to see if I can get it to work this way as a search for knowledge. If others benefit from the thread, great.

Thanks again for the input.
    So, I decided to run the process set out by Alveezy on my wife's iPhone. I had the same success as the first time. I received the same error as you mentioned, so I am not sure why you aren't having similar success. Did you ever get to the point of actually running Fixrecovery? Did you run it before or after closing the error message?
    05-19-2011 04:47 AM
    First ran before the error message. Than looked closer and tried twice to the letter with no luck. Both times after running fix recovery I would get a permanent apple logo even though fix recovery seemed to go through all it's processes without a hitch. I think there must be a problem with the PC I'm using to build the ipsw or my MAC. Haven't determined which yet.

I have built the ipsw several times and until the last two times it created a different size file. Not sure why as I did not add or change anything between attempts.
    05-19-2011 11:22 AM
    First ran before the error message. Than looked closer and tried twice to the letter with no luck. Both times after running fix recovery I would get a permanent apple logo even though fix recovery seemed to go through all it's processes without a hitch. I think there must be a problem with the PC I'm using to build the ipsw or my MAC. Haven't determined which yet.

I have built the ipsw several times and until the last two times it created a different size file. Not sure why as I did not add or change anything between attempts.
    make sure that your using the latest version of sn0wbreeze! since the pc and mac that you've been using to jailbreak your iPhone have been giving you problems...why not just find a friend that has a pc that you can use? all you have to do is build the custom IPSW on sn0wbreeze and restore to that PC. as soon as you get to the point of restoration where it's waiting for activation, just unplug it and you should be good. as soon as you plug it back to your mac with the iTunes that has all of your stuff in it, it should then let you sync whatever you have(just don't sync from backup<<<i high suggest not too, if you don't want to run into problems).
    05-20-2011 02:29 AM
    What a day! Followed Alveezy's advice, double checked sn0wbreeze version. Still, no love. Googled a bit and found instructions on redmondpie of how to use pwnage tool 4.2 for mac and add the necessary files to create a custom ipsw on the mac for 4.2.8 ViPhone. Built custom firmware, restored to it and lo and behold, not a single hiccup and a familiar cydia icon. I will post the process i used a little later tonight if anyone is interested, but it is pretty simple.
    05-20-2011 07:48 PM
    Decided to just write up and post a walk through of what I ended up doing. May help, may be old news, but it worked without a hitch.
    05-21-2011 02:03 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD