If you can't reload your firmware and you're tearing out your hair check here

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
On my wife's Mac, terminal comes up as terminal-bash-80x24, then her name comes up on the second line. On mine it comes up as terminal-login-80x24, then nothing. How can i correct this?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
your user might have a different level than hers. Did you try the commands anyway to see what happens? Go to the apple in the top left of the screen then click System Preferences. Click Users and on the left side under your user what does it say? Mine is an admin if yours isn't click the padlock at the bottom left it should ask for your password. Then check "Allow this user to administer this computer" then click the padlock again to lock it. Then log off and log back in and open Terminal again.

userslj.png

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Can't do it. I get a message that says "system preferences" is damaged or incomplete. What do i do now? Maybe pull up an old one from back-ups?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got "system preferences" back in, and i'm the administrator just like you. I tried terminal again with no luck. I can't get out of the "login" screen. I don't know what to type on that screen to get me to the next one.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I got it. Open terminal, go to preferences, change "shells open with" from default to command. The next part is scary, so i'll wait to hear from you.:)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Just plugged in phone and checked for updates in iTunes. It said that 4.3.3 is the current one, and there are no new updates. Does this mean that i'm good to go? Is it reading my phone correctly now? Man, i hope so.:)

zayragiselle

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
hi...just before i was going to update to 4.3.3 i decided to use tiny umbrella :/

of course i have this apple cannot restore your phone blah blah blah :(

im trying to do the fix for it but im a little bit lost on what i should edit...i think i have the right terminal window but i dont know what to edit...

can anyone help me? :)

thank you!

btw im on mac

zayragiselle

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Check out the first page of this thread.

alright...just realized what that was lol...i thought it was part of the windows instructions that's why i didnt give it a second look

um ok if im reading it correctly i have to put a # in front of 74.xxx.xxx thing and the 127 line?

zayragiselle

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
yes i am...i launch terminal and i type sudo pico /etc/hosts....type in my password and i get this screen..

Screenshot2011-05-08at121156AM.png

after this i do not know what to edit

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing that you have to type in a new host file. You need somebody with more experience to get you the rest of the way. Sorry i couldn't help you further. Good luck.:)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
For anyone using TU...have you tried just unchecking the "set hosts to Cydia" box in the Advanced settings in TU? I feel like a lot of people are getting into more complicated terminal/host edits without really needing to. The whole point of that setting in TU is that it takes care of it for you...when you want to use backed up SHSH you check it to look to Cydia, when you want an official Apple SHSH you uncheck it.

Have you all been having problems with that setting that I haven't?

zayragiselle

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
ok by saving the hosts again with this unmarked would fix this problem?

alright that worked!!!!!!!

thank you!!!!!!!:D:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods