Phone takes FOREVER to reboot/respring. iPhone 4 JB 4.3.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
So when my phone starts to get a little laggy, I like to kill all non-essential/unused apps using the little red arrow in Switcher Plus. About 2 seconds after that, my phone freezes for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before I can use it. Then it runs fine. Weird.

The other issue, which is the point of this thread is if I install an app via Cydia or do any other action the requires a reboot or respring or just reboot or respring to clear the ram, my phone can litterally take up to 5 minutes to boot back up. When I do a respring, it sticks on the respring screen for about 2-3 minutes, and then it reboots (to the apple logo) instead respringing to the lockscreen. When I reboot, it just sticks at the apple logo for up to 4-5 minutes at times. It doesn't do it all the time though. I don't know what causes it, but it's really annoying.

Now here's the thing. I am on 4.3 and did not have this issue on 4.2. But, When I went to 4.3.1, it was actually on a completely new phone. I had a 16GB i4 on 4.2 that ran flawless with greenpois0n. But I gave that one to my wife an moved to a 32GB and jailbroke it on 4.2 to get my SHSH in Cydia, then immediately moved to 4.3 right after. So I never actually used my 32GB on 4.2. And I have been trying to downgrade back to 4.2 to see if it's a GP vs RS issue, but Cydia is taking forever to display my 4.2 SHSH (over a month) and the downgrade is not working. I get a 1013 error when iTunes attempts to check Sauriks server. Moved to 4.3.2 and still have the same issue. So I don't know if it's the phone or redsnow. But I have all the same apps, and even removed some that I thought may be the cause.

Anyone have this issue?

Last edited:

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
With all these restores are you restoring your phone with a backup? If so I think it is time to do a restore as new.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
my phone did the same thing ( 5 min reboots/2-3 min resprings ) when i was on 4.2.1 (iP4) jailbroken with redsn0w tethered and ran GP over it

this was fixed only after i restored as new/set up as new phone

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I would try SBSettings to close apps and reclaim RAM. Also, as suggested above and something I just finished doing myself, do a restore as new and give yourself a clean slate to work from.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Also, closing apps via sbsettings still freezes the phone for a moment as it does with switcher plus.

Last edited:

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Right after you restore as new, you still experience the problem? If no, what apps and tweaks are you using? I have experienced this issue on IP4 and 3GS with Fakeclockup tweak.

issachar

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Same here.

As I recalled everytime when I respring, after a while my iPhone4 just reboot itself and it takes really long time to go back Springboard.

I really have no idea whats wrong

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You sound really knowledgable so what I would suggest is to use Pwnage Tool(Mac) or Sn0wbreeze(Windows) to JB. I like these tools because it reloads the firmware with the JBen firmware. You're not nlocked so just make sure put them in Expert Mode and uncheck the Activate the phone option. You can get Pwnage Tool on iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials under Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and you can get Sn0wbreeze on iPhoneHeat.com Yahoo it to find the site.

PS
Like I said it reloads your firmware so make sure you do a backup and sync before you begin the process.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Right after you restore as new, you still experience the problem? If no, what apps and tweaks are you using? I have experienced this issue on IP4 and 3GS with Fakeclockup tweak.

Basically everything I had prior to the problem. Nothing new. I've tried uninstalling several apps and nothing works. It seems like when the phone is cleaning it's RAM, it just lags really bad. If I reboot or respring right after one of the really long reboots/resprings, the phone reboots/resprings normally and quickly. But for some reason, after using the phone for hours or days and my ram is down below 70MB and I try to reboot/respring, close all nonessential apps, or install anything in Cydia that requires a respring, it takes forever. But lets say when the phone finally does reboot and it boots into safe mode, a respring to get it out of safe mode happens at the normal speed. IDK!

You sound really knowledgable so what I would suggest is to use Pwnage Tool(Mac) or Sn0wbreeze(Windows) to JB. I like these tools because it reloads the firmware with the JBen firmware. You're not nlocked so just make sure put them in Expert Mode and uncheck the Activate the phone option. You can get Pwnage Tool on iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials under Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and you can get Sn0wbreeze on iPhoneHeat.com Yahoo it to find the site.

PS
Like I said it reloads your firmware so make sure you do a backup and sync before you begin the process.

Yeah, I've used SB before and have thought about it for 4.3. It's just from what I've gathered, people don't usually trust it as much as RS or PT! Maybe I'll give it a go tonight! Thanks bro!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
GL let us know how it goes. I use Pwnage Tool above ALL else but I'm on Mac. Sn0wbreeze is the Windows equivalent but I think people just don't use it because it is more involved and takes more of an effort.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, Snowbreeze didn't fix it. I ran Snowbreeze and setup as new, opened a bunch of apps to get the ram down to around 49MB and respringed the phone and the same problem happened where it locked up and rebooted for 3-4 minutes.

However, I have my suspicions that BiteSMS may be the problem. So I removed it and did the same thing with bogging down the ram and when I resprung, it took like 3 seconds to respring!

So I'll let this roll for a couple days and see how it goes and let you guys know!

Is iRealSMS an equal alternative to BiteSMS?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You isolated your problem good stuff :D I've only ever used BiteSMS. What do you use it for? the unobtrusive UI or the tones?

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Turns out it wasn't bite SMS. After a day the problem happened again. So now I'm completely lost as to what's causing it. However, without bitesms, the ram would barely go below 100mb. With bitesms, it can drop as low as 32mb. But the stock message app sucks, especially after using bitesms for 2 years. Lol. Everything about bite is great though; the quick reply, contact pics, the fact that you can close the keyboard in a message thread to read the earlier texts easier, the easy forwarding of text and mms just by holding the text box, the built in smilies without having to run an international keyboard etc. Believe it or not, I don't use it for tones. I use tonefx for all that stuff.

I have no idea what's the problem. It's obviously something multitask related since it only happens while clearing the memory.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
One other possibility is any intensive themes you might be running. I've had a few that really seem to hang up the respring cycle.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Good idea Massie. I've been running the Elite Pro HD with springboard weather widget for a while. Maybe I'll try to switch it up.

DJ Hellfire

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Well, bad news. I stripped all the theme items off and have been running all stock skinning and icons and it still happens. The only thing that is themed is SB settings, but I doubt that's doing anything. Also, the font is custom, but I removed fonts before when I first started troubleshooting this and it didn't help. Any more suggestions? I've also tried removing lockinfo as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner