I have been trying very unsuccessfully for four days off and on to try an jailbreak my phone. I am using Windows 7 to try and complete this evidently monumental task. I have downloaded snowbreeze and the 4.2.7 firmware and have it on my desktop. Here's what I can't figure out now. Every tutorial video I have found on youtube, the two programs have icons when on the desktop. My two files have a little folder with a zipper. I have figured out how to open snowbreeze but without the icon on the desktop I'm sure this is wrong. Any way even after opening snowbreeze I can't get it to recognize the firmware. Any ideas or suggestions. Your help is well appreciated.
    05-04-2011 07:10 PM
    Open up the zipped file then drag the programs to your desktop. From there, run the program Sn0wbreez.

Download from: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    05-04-2011 08:48 PM
    You need to do two things: unzip the sn0wbreeze file so you can run the program, and RENAME the firmware so it ends with .ipsw instead of .zip. Don't open that one, just rename it.
    05-04-2011 10:21 PM
    Open up the zipped file then drag the programs to your desktop. From there, run the program Sn0wbreez.

Download from: iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    I followed your suggestion and I got the icon on my desktop. Thank you!!
    05-04-2011 10:50 PM
    You need to do two things: unzip the sn0wbreeze file so you can run the program, and RENAME the firmware so it ends with .ipsw instead of .zip. Don't open that one, just rename it.
    Thank you. I got snowbreeze on my desktop unzipped. Do you know how to rename the firmware? When I right click on the file there is an option to rename it but I think thats just for the desktop. Plus the name doesn;t end in ".zip". Thanks again.
    05-04-2011 10:52 PM
    What is it called?
    05-04-2011 11:11 PM
    like Massie said what is the file called? You also have to have Windows set to show the file extensions of known file types. If you don't have that it might not have a file extension like .zip You can click the file you're trying to rename and click F2 this will enable you to rename the file.
    05-04-2011 11:55 PM
    Thanks guys. The name of the file is "iPhone3,3_4.2.7_8E303_Restore". Any input is well appreciated.
    05-05-2011 10:37 AM
    yes like I said you don't have your file extensions showing. If you open a window then along the top go to Organize -> Folder and Search options in the window that opens up go to View and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. Then go to the bottom and Apply then go to the top and click Apply to All. Then the file should show the file extension afterwards.
    Last edited by Ipheuria; 05-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.
    05-05-2011 11:20 AM
    Sounds like you need to set Windows to show file extensions. See here: Show or hide file name extensions (your OS might be slightly different but that's the general idea). Once you can see the .zip extension at the end of the file name, just change that part to .ipsw and you should be good to go.

What you DON'T want to do is unzip the Restore file. Just change the extension.
    05-05-2011 11:24 AM
    Thank you so much for the help!!!! It seems to have worked and I'm going to try and continue with the process. Again thanks so much!!
    05-05-2011 01:27 PM
    Cool, good luck. Let us know if you run into more issues.
    05-05-2011 01:34 PM
    When I am running snowbreeze to JB it asks me if I want to activate my phone. I have to assume the answer is yes but I'm not sure. So, do I want to activate it? Again, I'm with Verizon. Thanks in advance.
    05-05-2011 04:34 PM
    Don't take this for fact, please wait for confirmation:

I believe that is only for "hacktivation" so that you can use a GSM iPhone with another carrier.

I've never used Snowbreeze, so as I said please wait for confirmation before proceeding.
    05-05-2011 04:43 PM
    Don't take this for fact, please wait for confirmation:

I believe that is only for "hacktivation" so that you can use a GSM iPhone with another carrier.

I've never used Snowbreeze, so as I said please wait for confirmation before proceeding.
    It did say hackivation at the top so I am going to wait. Thanks for your response.
    05-05-2011 04:45 PM
    I found my answer via google and I'm told I shouldn't activate the phone during this process. One other sticky place now (I swear I will conquer this), when snowbreeze goes to show me how to put the iphone into DFU mode the program freezes. I mean the only thing I could do is "x" out of it. I'm trying it again as I type...maybe a glitch somewhere.
    05-05-2011 05:14 PM
    Hacktivation is only if your using an unofficial carrier. Is it maybe not frozen but waiting for you to put the phone into DFU? I haven't used sn0wbreeze myself but maybe a YouTube walkthrough will help?
    05-05-2011 05:19 PM
    Hacktivation is only if your using an unofficial carrier. Is it maybe not frozen but waiting for you to put the phone into DFU? I haven't used sn0wbreeze myself but maybe a YouTube walkthrough will help?
    I've done some youtube walk throughs and it's almost an animation screen that pretty much makes it ***** proof to put it into DFU mode. In the videos I have seen the person clicks start and then it goes. Here unfortunately nothing happens when I hit that start button. I did get the new firmware on my desktop again from snowbreeze (I deleted it the first time). Oh well, maybe I will never get it to work. Pretty depressing that one of the videos I was watching the kid couldn't be more than 12 and I'm watching HIM!!
    05-05-2011 05:23 PM
    If I just put the phone into DFU mode is it difficult to get it out if snowbreeze doesn't awaken?
    05-05-2011 05:25 PM
    From watching the videos it appears the only thing that the snowbreeze does is a tutorial from this point forward sooooooooooooooo since I do have the custome firmware now I think I could just put the phone into DFU and do the itunes restore.
    Last edited by dsmith3427; 05-05-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    05-05-2011 05:38 PM
    Sn0wbreeze is just like Pwnage Tool so you can go through a Pwnage Tool tutorial at iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials or you can find a tutorial at iPhoneHeat.com Now that you have the custom ipsw put your phone into DFU mode and open iTunes. You will know it is in DFU mode if the screen is black as if the phone is off but iTunes recognizes a device in recovery mode. Then hold down your Shift key and click Restore. Then browse to your custom ipsw and let iTunes reload the OS. This is going to wipe your phone so make sure you back it up and sync before you start. When your don restore from backup this has nothing to do with the OS just your settings and data.
    05-05-2011 05:52 PM
    So after four attempts trying to install the custom firmware...no dice. Here's what happened. I put the phone into DFU and itunes recognizes it as such. I click the firmware and itunes tells me "its extracting software". Next it says its verifying the software with apple. Next it says "preparing for restore" and when this happens a windows message pops up at the bottom of the screen saying "this device could perform better if connected to a high speed usb port 2.0" or something like that. After about a minute another windows message pops up saying something about some apple USB software being downloaded. After that Itunes stops and says "iphone could not be restored, unknow error (1600)".

I figured maybe the USB apple software was something I needed so instead of disconnecting the phone and starting again (since the previous three times this "driver" was downloaded" I just tried the restore process again. Same result. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    05-05-2011 06:24 PM
    Now that's just weird. A few things to check: make sure it's not connected via a USB hub or a monitor port, and if possible use the Apple cable instead of a third party cable. You might also try a different cable and/or a different computer.
    05-05-2011 07:15 PM
    Now that's just weird. A few things to check: make sure it's not connected via a USB hub or a monitor port, and if possible use the Apple cable instead of a third party cable. You might also try a different cable and/or a different computer.
    I will try another cable (they are both factory cables) and I have tried all three usb ports on the laptop. I'm going to try it one more time on this computer then I will try my other laptop. I'm not sure what a monitor port or a USB hub is but I can explain these are the USB's built right into my laptop. Fingers crossed here!!!
    05-05-2011 07:28 PM
    I tried another laptop and I haven't used that one in over two years so with all the updating, slowness, etc I gave up. I deleted snowbreeze and the firmware and downloaded it again to my primary computer thinking it was corrupted or there was an error or something. Now when I try the process again I get an error code 3194. I googled that and it appears there may be a firewall issue. Any suggestions? I can't believe how difficult this is...or am I making it this difficult???
    05-05-2011 11:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD