dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying very unsuccessfully for four days off and on to try an jailbreak my phone. I am using Windows 7 to try and complete this evidently monumental task. I have downloaded snowbreeze and the 4.2.7 firmware and have it on my desktop. Here's what I can't figure out now. Every tutorial video I have found on youtube, the two programs have icons when on the desktop. My two files have a little folder with a zipper. I have figured out how to open snowbreeze but without the icon on the desktop I'm sure this is wrong. Any way even after opening snowbreeze I can't get it to recognize the firmware. Any ideas or suggestions. Your help is well appreciated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You need to do two things: unzip the sn0wbreeze file so you can run the program, and RENAME the firmware so it ends with .ipsw instead of .zip. Don't open that one, just rename it.

Reactions: dsmith3427

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You need to do two things: unzip the sn0wbreeze file so you can run the program, and RENAME the firmware so it ends with .ipsw instead of .zip. Don't open that one, just rename it.

Thank you. I got snowbreeze on my desktop unzipped. Do you know how to rename the firmware? When I right click on the file there is an option to rename it but I think thats just for the desktop. Plus the name doesn;t end in ".zip". Thanks again.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
like Massie said what is the file called? You also have to have Windows set to show the file extensions of known file types. If you don't have that it might not have a file extension like .zip You can click the file you're trying to rename and click F2 this will enable you to rename the file.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
yes like I said you don't have your file extensions showing. If you open a window then along the top go to Organize -> Folder and Search options in the window that opens up go to View and uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. Then go to the bottom and Apply then go to the top and click Apply to All. Then the file should show the file extension afterwards.

Last edited:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you need to set Windows to show file extensions. See here: Show or hide file name extensions (your OS might be slightly different but that's the general idea). Once you can see the .zip extension at the end of the file name, just change that part to .ipsw and you should be good to go.

What you DON'T want to do is unzip the Restore file. Just change the extension.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the help!!!! It seems to have worked and I'm going to try and continue with the process. Again thanks so much!!

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
When I am running snowbreeze to JB it asks me if I want to activate my phone. I have to assume the answer is yes but I'm not sure. So, do I want to activate it? Again, I'm with Verizon. Thanks in advance.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Don't take this for fact, please wait for confirmation:

I believe that is only for "hacktivation" so that you can use a GSM iPhone with another carrier.

I've never used Snowbreeze, so as I said please wait for confirmation before proceeding.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Don't take this for fact, please wait for confirmation:

I believe that is only for "hacktivation" so that you can use a GSM iPhone with another carrier.

I've never used Snowbreeze, so as I said please wait for confirmation before proceeding.

It did say hackivation at the top so I am going to wait. Thanks for your response.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I found my answer via google and I'm told I shouldn't activate the phone during this process. One other sticky place now (I swear I will conquer this), when snowbreeze goes to show me how to put the iphone into DFU mode the program freezes. I mean the only thing I could do is "x" out of it. I'm trying it again as I type...maybe a glitch somewhere.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hacktivation is only if your using an unofficial carrier. Is it maybe not frozen but waiting for you to put the phone into DFU? I haven't used sn0wbreeze myself but maybe a YouTube walkthrough will help?

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hacktivation is only if your using an unofficial carrier. Is it maybe not frozen but waiting for you to put the phone into DFU? I haven't used sn0wbreeze myself but maybe a YouTube walkthrough will help?

I've done some youtube walk throughs and it's almost an animation screen that pretty much makes it idiot proof to put it into DFU mode. In the videos I have seen the person clicks start and then it goes. Here unfortunately nothing happens when I hit that start button. I did get the new firmware on my desktop again from snowbreeze (I deleted it the first time). Oh well, maybe I will never get it to work. Pretty depressing that one of the videos I was watching the kid couldn't be more than 12 and I'm watching HIM!!

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
From watching the videos it appears the only thing that the snowbreeze does is a tutorial from this point forward sooooooooooooooo since I do have the custome firmware now I think I could just put the phone into DFU and do the itunes restore.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox