Okay so I am currently using the Verizon iPhone with iOS 4.2.7, which currently only has a tethered JB option. I don't have any issues with using the tethered jailbreak while we wait for an untethered option, and I rarely have Cydia want me to reboot but there is always that fear that the phone will lock up and I'll be SOL until I get home. Herein lies my question...

If I put redsn0w and the 4.2.6 ipsw file on a flash drive and keep it with me, can I do my tethered boot from any computer? If so, does the computer need any administrative privileges or is it just an easy exe run? Does booting the phone into DFU mode create some sort of a device in Windows that needs iTunes to create a driver for? I know when I had my DROID Windows had to install ADB device drivers, so I'm not sure what the iPhone does. Our computers at work are locked down like Fort Knox and allow zero installations, but I'm assuming if I can run Chrome portable I can run the redsn0w exe. Advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    04-28-2011 09:10 PM
    You should be fine; I've heard of many people doing just that with a flash drive. Nice to be prepared in case of emergency. But is that a typo in your second paragraph? First you said 4.2.7, then you say 4.2.6 is what you'd have on the drive?
    04-28-2011 10:51 PM
    Nope not a typo....The tethered jailbreak for 4.2.7 uses the 4.2.6 ipsw file for the jailbreak. I was confused at first but that is in fact how it works.

What about the driver thing? Work computers won't allow hardware installations so i wouldn't be able to do it if it requires a device installation. I might attempt it next time I work to see what happens and bring my laptop with me just in case. If nobody posts anything between now and Sunday to confirm I will give it a try and report my results. If it works I wouldn't really consider it too bad of a tethered jailbreak. Unless I am driving I am always somewhere with a PC....unless I'm at the store but who uses their phone at the store....let alone enough to make it lock up. LOL.
    Last edited by iRooney; 04-28-2011 at 10:59 PM.
    04-28-2011 10:55 PM
    Confirmation: if the computer does not have iTunes installed, it does not detect DFU mode and therefore won't allow the tethered boot. Back to square one with this one....
    04-29-2011 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD