iPone4 will not restore

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Wanted to try new upgrade 4.3.2 Plugged phone into Mac, opened iTunes, hit "restore", phone will not restore. Keep getting error message 1013. Tried some of the troubleshooting tips, but nothing works. What next?

kbcherry

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I had the same issue some time back on Win 7. I had to edit my hosts file. I had to remove a line that was apple specific. Search for iPhone and hosts file and see if you come back with anything. Once I did that it restored perfectly fine.

kbcherry

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Here is what I did, try this:

On Mac:
* Open Finder
* Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
* Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
* Find "hosts" file in the directory
* Drag the file to your desktop
* Open it in text editor
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
* Save the file
* Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
* You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I never got to DFU mode. I just plugged it in and tried to restore. I haven't a clue what "host files" are, but maybe a step by step explanation can help. What the bleep is "port 80", and where the bleep is it on the Mac?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I did, try this:

On Mac:
* Open Finder
* Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
* Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
* Find "hosts" file in the directory
* Drag the file to your desktop
* Open it in text editor
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
* Save the file
* Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
* You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
* Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

When i open Finder and type in what you told me, it says folder can't be found.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
go to terminal
type sudo nano /etc/hosts
enter your password
scroll down until you see gs.apple.com
enter # in front of ever entry you see like that.
ctrl o to save, i pressed enter after as it didnt seem to work just wth control o.
your all set, try restoring, worked for me last night, and just now

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
There is an iTunes update so try doing a software update click the Apple in the top taskbar click Software Update. It will search your computer for updates that are available one of them will be iTunes. Apply the updates, you may need to reboot. I had the same problem with my iPad 2 I wasn't able to update to 4.3.2 or even restore it kept saying I wasn't eligible for the update. I finally just downloaded the iTunes and reinstalled it, don't remove it because you'll lose all your settings. Just install and it will install over the already existing installation. I was good as new everything worked perfectly. Since there is an update just apply that and it should do the same thing as reinstalling it.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry guys, but the phone is fried! Good thing i have AppleCare. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, with my Mac, get a new iPhone4 with the 4.3.2 already in it. Then while in the store i will restore from back-up, and i should be ready to rock when i leave. Two hours on the phone with AppleCare, and that's the only way they could resolve the problem. Think i'll go with Team Pure for a while, at least until i get this bad taste out of my mouth.:(

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys, but the phone is fried! Good thing i have AppleCare. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, with my Mac, get a new iPhone4 with the 4.3.2 already in it. Then while in the store i will restore from back-up, and i should be ready to rock when i leave. Two hours on the phone with AppleCare, and that's the only way they could resolve the problem. Think i'll go with Team Pure for a while, at least until i get this bad taste out of my mouth.:(

Considering 4.3.2 just came out, more and likely it wont have the updated software on it. Ask the genius bar to update it for you before you leave

Reactions: anon(631531)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What happened? Is the phone dead? will it turn on?

When i turn it on, it has the iTunes logo and a USB plug pointing up to it, that's it. Spent two hours with AppleCare, trying various fixes, including a new account name. NOTHING. Anyway, i'll have a new one tomorrow. At least, when the phone tried to update the IOS, it wiped out everything, including the jailbreak.:)

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Is there an iTunes error code? What does it say when it fails to restore?

And also I just had my phone swapped out today and it came with 4.3.1

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
No need to swap it. Edit your hosts files like I said earlier and it will (should) work. From my understanding you connect a jailbroken iPhone or iDevice to that computer than it, idk I guess records it? Edit the host file and it should solve that. Go through terminal.
Type in sudo nano /etc/hosts
Enter your password
Scroll down until you see the gs.apple line or lines. Probably will have a number in front of it. Put a # symbol in front of every line that doesn't have it already. Hit control + o to save, I pressed enter after to make sure. Go back to iTunes and restore. If it doesn't work, go back into terminal and do the whole sudo nano thing again and make sure the # signs saved

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
No need to swap it. Edit your hosts files like I said earlier and it will (should) work. From my understanding you connect a jailbroken iPhone or iDevice to that computer than it, idk I guess records it? Edit the host file and it should solve that. Go through terminal.
Type in sudo nano /etc/hosts
Enter your password
Scroll down until you see the gs.apple line or lines. Probably will have a number in front of it. Put a # symbol in front of every line that doesn't have it already. Hit control + o to save, I pressed enter after to make sure. Go back to iTunes and restore. If it doesn't work, go back into terminal and do the whole sudo nano thing again and make sure the # signs saved

Did that whole pseudo nano thing with the AppleCare people over the phone. Also did the new host with a new password thing, with no luck. I've got all my stuff backed up in iTunes, so with a new phone tomorrow i should be good to go. Thanks.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Oh wow. Didn't know that apple would tell you to do that. That sucks that it didn't work for you, and makes me glad that it worked for me lol. Best of luck to ya sorry I couldn't help

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
unacceptable.. this reminds me of a scene from Star Wars:

Obi-Wan: "I suggest you try it again, Luke. This time, let go your conscious self and act on instinct."

Luke: "With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?"

Obi-Wan: "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
+1 for the Star Wars reference :D I know you're prob fed up by now but did you try re-installing iTunes over itself like I suggested? Anyway I think you should use the phon on 4.3.2 for awhile this will give the current JB some legs and beleive me you should just use Pwnage Tool you're on a Mac and it is so much easier than it looks. I'll give you a primer on it shoot me an email.