Wanted to try new upgrade 4.3.2 Plugged phone into Mac, opened iTunes, hit "restore", phone will not restore. Keep getting error message 1013. Tried some of the troubleshooting tips, but nothing works. What next?
    04-20-2011 02:58 PM
    you try putting into DFU mode?
    04-20-2011 03:00 PM
    I had the same issue some time back on Win 7. I had to edit my hosts file. I had to remove a line that was apple specific. Search for iPhone and hosts file and see if you come back with anything. Once I did that it restored perfectly fine.
    04-20-2011 03:05 PM
    Here is what I did, try this:

On Mac:
    * Open Finder
    * Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
    * Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
    * Find "hosts" file in the directory
    * Drag the file to your desktop
    * Open it in text editor
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
    * Save the file
    * Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
    * You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    * Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.
    04-20-2011 03:12 PM
    I never got to DFU mode. I just plugged it in and tried to restore. I haven't a clue what "host files" are, but maybe a step by step explanation can help. What the bleep is "port 80", and where the bleep is it on the Mac?
    04-20-2011 03:15 PM
    Here is what I did, try this:

On Mac:
    * Open Finder
    * Hold down COMMAND + SHIFT keys and press 'G'
    * Enter "/private/etc/" in the field and press "Go"
    * Find "hosts" file in the directory
    * Drag the file to your desktop
    * Open it in text editor
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com entirely or put a # at the beginning of it to comment it out
    * Save the file
    * Drag it back to the /private/etc/ folder.
    * You'd need to enter your username and password to authenticate the move

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    * Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.
    When i open Finder and type in what you told me, it says folder can't be found.
    04-20-2011 03:35 PM
    go to terminal
    type sudo nano /etc/hosts
    enter your password
    scroll down until you see gs.apple.com
    enter # in front of ever entry you see like that.
    ctrl o to save, i pressed enter after as it didnt seem to work just wth control o.
    your all set, try restoring, worked for me last night, and just now
    04-20-2011 03:56 PM
    There is an iTunes update so try doing a software update click the Apple in the top taskbar click Software Update. It will search your computer for updates that are available one of them will be iTunes. Apply the updates, you may need to reboot. I had the same problem with my iPad 2 I wasn't able to update to 4.3.2 or even restore it kept saying I wasn't eligible for the update. I finally just downloaded the iTunes and reinstalled it, don't remove it because you'll lose all your settings. Just install and it will install over the already existing installation. I was good as new everything worked perfectly. Since there is an update just apply that and it should do the same thing as reinstalling it.
    04-20-2011 04:09 PM
    Sorry guys, but the phone is fried! Good thing i have AppleCare. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, with my Mac, get a new iPhone4 with the 4.3.2 already in it. Then while in the store i will restore from back-up, and i should be ready to rock when i leave. Two hours on the phone with AppleCare, and that's the only way they could resolve the problem. Think i'll go with Team Pure for a while, at least until i get this bad taste out of my mouth.
    04-20-2011 05:45 PM
    What happened? Is the phone dead? will it turn on?
    04-20-2011 05:47 PM
    Sorry guys, but the phone is fried! Good thing i have AppleCare. I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow, with my Mac, get a new iPhone4 with the 4.3.2 already in it. Then while in the store i will restore from back-up, and i should be ready to rock when i leave. Two hours on the phone with AppleCare, and that's the only way they could resolve the problem. Think i'll go with Team Pure for a while, at least until i get this bad taste out of my mouth.
    Considering 4.3.2 just came out, more and likely it wont have the updated software on it. Ask the genius bar to update it for you before you leave
    grunt0300 likes this.
    04-20-2011 05:58 PM
    What happened? Is the phone dead? will it turn on?
    When i turn it on, it has the iTunes logo and a USB plug pointing up to it, that's it. Spent two hours with AppleCare, trying various fixes, including a new account name. NOTHING. Anyway, i'll have a new one tomorrow. At least, when the phone tried to update the IOS, it wiped out everything, including the jailbreak.
    04-20-2011 06:13 PM
    Is there an iTunes error code? What does it say when it fails to restore?

And also I just had my phone swapped out today and it came with 4.3.1
    04-20-2011 08:25 PM
    Is there an iTunes error code? What does it say when it fails to restore?

And also I just had my phone swapped out today and it came with 4.3.1
    Error 1013.
    04-20-2011 09:18 PM
    No need to swap it. Edit your hosts files like I said earlier and it will (should) work. From my understanding you connect a jailbroken iPhone or iDevice to that computer than it, idk I guess records it? Edit the host file and it should solve that. Go through terminal.
    Type in sudo nano /etc/hosts
    Enter your password
    Scroll down until you see the gs.apple line or lines. Probably will have a number in front of it. Put a # symbol in front of every line that doesn't have it already. Hit control + o to save, I pressed enter after to make sure. Go back to iTunes and restore. If it doesn't work, go back into terminal and do the whole sudo nano thing again and make sure the # signs saved
    04-20-2011 09:54 PM
    No need to swap it. Edit your hosts files like I said earlier and it will (should) work. From my understanding you connect a jailbroken iPhone or iDevice to that computer than it, idk I guess records it? Edit the host file and it should solve that. Go through terminal.
    Type in sudo nano /etc/hosts
    Enter your password
    Scroll down until you see the gs.apple line or lines. Probably will have a number in front of it. Put a # symbol in front of every line that doesn't have it already. Hit control + o to save, I pressed enter after to make sure. Go back to iTunes and restore. If it doesn't work, go back into terminal and do the whole sudo nano thing again and make sure the # signs saved
    Did that whole pseudo nano thing with the AppleCare people over the phone. Also did the new host with a new password thing, with no luck. I've got all my stuff backed up in iTunes, so with a new phone tomorrow i should be good to go. Thanks.
    04-20-2011 10:24 PM
    Oh wow. Didn't know that apple would tell you to do that. That sucks that it didn't work for you, and makes me glad that it worked for me lol. Best of luck to ya sorry I couldn't help
    04-20-2011 10:27 PM
    Thanks Jason. I never did get to the jailbreak part of the upgrade, and i'm a little gunshy now. I think i'll wait a while on that.
    04-20-2011 10:59 PM
    unacceptable.. this reminds me of a scene from Star Wars:

Obi-Wan: "I suggest you try it again, Luke. This time, let go your conscious self and act on instinct."

Luke: "With the blast shield down, I can't even see. How am I supposed to fight?"

Obi-Wan: "Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."
    grunt0300 likes this.
    04-20-2011 11:15 PM
    +1 for the Star Wars reference I know you're prob fed up by now but did you try re-installing iTunes over itself like I suggested? Anyway I think you should use the phon on 4.3.2 for awhile this will give the current JB some legs and beleive me you should just use Pwnage Tool you're on a Mac and it is so much easier than it looks. I'll give you a primer on it shoot me an email.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    04-20-2011 11:27 PM
    +1 for the Star Wars reference I know you're prob fed up by now but did you try re-installing iTunes over itself like I suggested? Anyway I think you should use the phon on 4.3.2 for awhile this will give the current JB some legs and beleive me you should just use Pwnage Tool you're on a Mac and it is so much easier than it looks. I'll give you a primer on it shoot me an email.
    Give me a chance to catch my breath first. 150 mile round trip to Apple Store, but it was worth it. Brought my Mac with me. Here's the bottom line. The IOS (4.3.2) that i tried to upgrade with through iTunes was CORRUPTED! They set me back up with my own phone, i re-installed everything (music, photos, calendar, etc.) after they put new IOS in phone :4.3.2(8H7). That's the way it comes up in the General Settings. They never knew about the JB, because the old one was wiped out and the new one never got on the phone. I know that i must face Vader (JB) alone, but it's nice to know that i've got some Jedi Knights to watch my back, and ward off the light sabers! I'll get back to you, Ricky, about that Pwnage Tool thing. May the Force be with you.
    04-21-2011 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD