I had some severe water damage a few weeks ago and was able to dry out my phone and it works perfectly aside from the fact that it is permanently in vibrate mode. It doesnt matter what settings I mess with or how many times I flip the vibrate switch it doesnt change.

Now my phone is not jailbroken right now, but I am willing to if there is any sort of hack to get my phone out of vibrate...

Any ideas or advice out there?

Thanks!
    04-17-2011 08:22 PM
    Maybe your phone still has some dampness inside of it. Try sticking it into a bag of rice overnight. That might just get out any residual moisture. Good luck.
    04-17-2011 08:31 PM
    +1 to what grunt0300 said.

I'd add that you make sure that your iPhone is turned off (not just asleep), put it in the bag of rice, and leave it in the bag for a few days. Then try turning on your iPhone. If it still won't come out of vibration mode I don't think that any app is going to fix the damage.

You can try bringing your iPhone to an Apple store and see if they'll exchange it for you, but I don't know Apple's policy regarding water damage.
    04-17-2011 08:47 PM
    The rice trick is actually what got it working again in the first place. I left it in rice for about three or four days and is still in vibrate.

When I took it to the Apple store a few weeks ago they said that there wasnt anything that they could do for me, basically I have to go through Verizon's insurance ($169 yuck)

It isnt anything that is crippling the phone in any way... just a slight annoyance
    04-17-2011 11:43 PM
    How about the sound system on the phone? Can you hear music out of the speakers played on the phone? Can you hear music in your headphones? Was the phone on vibrate when it took on water? If the phone was on vibrate then the switch might be dead so the phone just thinks it is off all the time.
    04-18-2011 01:00 AM
    Yeah music and things such as that work. Which is why I know it is just in vibrate mode and that the speakers arent broken or anything.

I do not believe that the phone was in vibrate when it took on the water.
    04-18-2011 02:15 PM
    Wow this is really weird then, you've got me. Since your phone isn't JBen have you tried reloading the firmware?
    04-18-2011 03:13 PM
    Try the rice trick, it usually works.
    It even worked for spilt coke which I experienced.

Try this to see if your liquid damage activator is active.
    iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty

If it is then that's a shame, you can't claim it through Apple Protection.
    If it doesn't display it, then...
    Last edited by Snownation; 04-18-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    04-18-2011 04:08 PM
    Well I checked the water damage indicator and unfortunately it is a nice bright red :/

I think that tonight I will try reinstalling the firmware (again) just to try and see (maybe I will get lucky, who knows)

Aside from that I will continue leaving it in rice overnight and I might purchase the "Liberation Kit" from ifixit.com to try and get into the phone and see if i can dry it out any better...
    04-20-2011 02:43 AM
    I might have found a fix

*Hint* It is software related

I'll post if it works or not in a little bit!
    04-20-2011 03:20 AM
    hoping it worked for ya ???
    04-20-2011 08:44 AM
    Yeah! What I ended up doing (which I should have thought of from the start) was jailbreaking the phone and then installing SBSettings and installing the ringer toggle. I pressed the toggle and just like that everything is fixed

Obviously the switch still doesnt work, but who cares as long as I have some way of turning the vibrate on and off.
    04-21-2011 02:15 PM
    Jailbreak saves the day, you should tell this story to every Team Pure member. It just works, *snickers* right?!?
    04-21-2011 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD