ultrasn0w and iOS 4.3.1/1.59

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have heard that Ultrasn0w is not working right yet with the latest 4.3.1 redsn0w jailbreak. Any truth to this. I want to upgrade, but I am hesitating because of ultrasn0w.
Has anyone successfully used ultrasn0w with ios4.3.1 and redsn0w and firmware 1.59?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that Ultrasn0w is not working right yet with the latest 4.3.1 redsn0w jailbreak. Any truth to this. I want to upgrade, but I am hesitating because of ultrasn0w.
Has anyone successfully used ultrasn0w with ios4.3.1 and redsn0w and firmware 1.59?

I heard there's a ultrasn0w fix in the Cydia.pushfix.info repo. Haven't tried it myself since I'm still on 4.2.1.

Otherwise, wait until the Dev Team finishes testing theirs.

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Help!!

Ok, I'm a little new to this jailbreaking thing...I've only done it a few times. I'm having trouble jailbreaking 4.3.1. When I go to download 4.3.1 and try to save it to my desktop, it won't save as an .ipsw file, only a compressed zip file. Someone suggested that I just change the file type but the problem is it won't let me. I can change the file name all I want but the only two options for file type I have is the "compressed zip folder" and "all files". Can someone please help?? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I'm a little new to this jailbreaking thing...I've only done it a few times. I'm having trouble jailbreaking 4.3.1. When I go to download 4.3.1 and try to save it to my desktop, it won't save as an .ipsw file, only a compressed zip file. Someone suggested that I just change the file type but the problem is it won't let me. I can change the file name all I want but the only two options for file type I have is the "compressed zip folder" and "all files". Can someone please help?? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am guessing you are on Windows. Do you have "Show file extensions" enable in Folder Options? If yes, for example, rename name.zip to name.ipsw.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I took the plunge, I used snowbreeze to jailbreak since tinyumbrella just leaves it in DFU loop.
I then used ultrasnow and the fix mentioned above (although I didnt test before I did the fix, so it might have worked anyway).
It works, phone is jailbroken, unlocked using 4.3.1/1.59
However, the I have the signal bar issue that it only shows 1 signal bar regardless of what the signal really is. I can live with for a short time.
I am really getting tempted jus to trade it in for a factory unlocked version. But they cost $900 minimum.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
what model iPhone do you have? what baseband? what I would suggest instead of all these steps is to use an ipsw created with pwnage tool. This will leave your baseband at the unlockable version and still allow you to use 4.3.1 jailbroken(JBen). It only works on the Mac and I would be happy to make an ipsw for you, just PM or add me on Twitter. There is also a Windows tool Sn0wbreeze that does the same thing get it here Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 | iPhoneHeat and it is always the same for firmware unless something drastically changes in the future. You will need to use Pwnage tool or Sn0wbreeze because they don't upgrade the baseband. I also find it cleaner but be warned this will reload your OS ie. wipe your phone so do a backup and sync before you start the process. Then after restore from your backup to get all your stuff back. BTW what is your carrier?

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I am guessing you are on Windows. Do you have "Show file extensions" enable in Folder Options? If yes, for example, rename name.zip to name.ipsw.

I am on Windows 7. Whenever I've jailbroke my phone on previous versions, it's never been this difficult. I'm not sure if I have that enabled. Where would I go to enable that?

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
1) Open Windows Explorer.

2) Press the Alt Key, the Menu Bar should pop up. Click on "Tools."

3) Click on "Folder Options."

4) Click on the "View" tab.

5) Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" is UNCHECKED.

kingweb

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, ultrasn0w 1.2.1 was released today (or late last night). It solved the signal bar issue.
So if anyone is interested, here is what I did:
I have an iphone 4 with baseband 1.59.
I upgraded to 4.3.1 using snowbreeze which was able to keep the baseband from changing.
Everything was fine but the signal bars did not show.
I installed ultrasnow 1.2 to unlock, and that worked, but still no signal bars.
Now I installed ultrasnow 1.2.1, and the signal bars are fixed, and the phone is unlocked using 4.3.1/1.59.
Good to go till the next time:)

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well, ultrasn0w 1.2.1 was released today (or late last night). It solved the signal bar issue.
So if anyone is interested, here is what I did:
I have an iphone 4 with baseband 1.59.
I upgraded to 4.3.1 using snowbreeze which was able to keep the baseband from changing.
Everything was fine but the signal bars did not show.
I installed ultrasnow 1.2 to unlock, and that worked, but still no signal bars.
Now I installed ultrasnow 1.2.1, and the signal bars are fixed, and the phone is unlocked using 4.3.1/1.59.
Good to go till the next time:)

Glad to hear everything worked out.

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am having issues with jailbreaking 4.3.1. I downloaded redsnow. When I downloaded the iPhone 4.3.1 software I was having trouble because it was saving it as a zip folder. So I changed my settings (suggested from a previous post of mine in this thread). I regular .ipsw at the end of the file but the file type still said compressed zip folder. I don't know if this is what's causing the problem but when I open redsnow and click browse and find the iPhone 4 software I downloaded it says that redsnow cannot recognize the IPSW file...I'm aggravated but I want my jailbreak back...can someone help please? It's appreciated. Thanks.

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I did that (if you look back on page 1 of this thread) and I typed on the end of the file name .zip but the only options for File Type that I can choose from is Compressed Zip Folder or All Files. I can't choose any other file type from the drop down box.

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I did that (if you look back on page 1 of this thread) and I typed on the end of the file name .zip but the only options for File Type that I can choose from is Compressed Zip Folder or All Files. I can't choose any other file type from the drop down box.

Oh, you're confused. That's not what we're talking about. You have to open up Windows Explorer and go to the file, then MANUALLY RENAME the end of the file. So for example, if the file name is abc.zip, you change it to abc.ipsw

Reactions: Gerri312

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Ooooh! Ok I will try that and let you know how it works. Yes I was definitely confused! Thanks all of you for your help! Like I said, I'll try it...wish me luck!

Gerri312

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I went in and changed the name manually like you all had said and I think it worked but does anyone know how long this usually takes?